Bury | Page 24 | Vital Football

Bury

Do you think
Bury will most likely or should have a Transfer embargo imposed on them, which would curb them spending lots of money on good players.

Do you think
Bury will most likely or should have a Transfer embargo imposed on them, which would curb them spending lots of money on good players.

And have no players when they've all left?

I think a hefty points deduction will do.

Do you think

With no players under contract (having broken their contracts by not paying them) and not being able to sign any, their ability to win games will be sorely restricted - although they will probably still finish above Bolton.

It’s ok you went bust and spent more then you can afford you played football the right way better then that horrible lincoln city, pass go collect £200!

Will Bury be able to start next season? What are the chances of them being able to finish it? At what point will the EFL intervene and ask for guarantees? Acceptance of Bury FC as a member club is a completely separate issue from the winding-up petition. Ironically, the club that would have been reprieved is in no better state than Bury.

This has Maidstone written all over it, still extant at the start of the '92 season, but the FL didn't let them start the season and postponed their opening fixtures. It was ironic that the postponed fixtures were straw that broke the camel's back and they went tits up, if memory serves between what should have been their second and third fixture.

Aldershot went bump later in the season, their last match being a 0-3 loss to the Imps and the 4th tier ended up with 22 teams that season. The league played on for a number of years after with only 23 clubs, I can't recall exactly how they eventually reconciled the league to get it back to 24. I have a feeling it may have something to do when one of the clubs (choose from Northampton, Exeter and Torquay) were reprieved from relegation because the winners of the Conference didn't meet the FL's ground requirements, but I stand to be corrected on that.

Last edited:
Aldershot went out of business in March 1992. Their last home game was a 3-0 defeat by City but their last game of all was a 2-0 defeat at Cardiff.

Now, taking a deep breath:

In the 1990/91 season there were 24 teams in the Fourth Division but as part of a planned expansion of the league to 94 clubs 5 teams were promoted at the end of that season, only 3 relegated from the Third Division and no team relegated to the Conference. One team was promoted from the Conference.

So 23 teams started the 1991/92 season. Aldershot went out of business during it. At the end of the season Colchester were promoted from the Conference.

So 23 teams were due to start the 1992/93 season, but as stated Maidstone went out of business before playing any games, leaving 22 teams. At the end of the season Halifax went down and were replaced by Wycombe.

1993/94 - 22 teams

1994/95 - 22 teams.

The knock-on effect of the reduction of the number of teams in the Premier League after the end of the 1994/95 season meant 5 teams were relegated from the former Division Three and only 3 teams promoted from the former Division Four.

This left 24 teams for the 1995/96 season.

Questions may be asked on this later.

1994/95 - 22 teams.

The knock-on effect of the reduction of the number of teams in the Premier League after the end of the 1994/95 season meant 5 teams were relegated from the former Division Three and only 3 teams promoted from the former Division Four.

This left 24 teams for the 1995/96 season.

Also Exeter were saved from relegation as it was deemed that the Moss Rose was not to FL standard.

Just makes you realise what a good Club from top to bottom we have. I was going to say we are 'lucky' with our Chairman, but before Bob handed over to Clive and associates he made sure they were the right people who would not take risks with LCFC . Lots of unsavoury Chairmen and potential Chairmen out there to avoid. You can only have sympathy with the supporters of these Clubs, the players can move on, loyal supporters cannot.
UTI.

Media down here now reporting that Ryan Lowe is (just about) the new manager of Argyle.

I added the (just about) because it's not been confirmed yet. If there's no light at the end of the tunnel it doesn't surprise for him to move on, as the players will. It's the staff I feel more sorry for.

That latest statement from Nicky Adams is heartbreaking. This is a football club owner refusing to pay the staff what he owes them for running his club and the players for winning promotion, which appears irrelevant now. The most damning part is that he has no intention of paying what he owes them or of meeting any further obligations towards them; and I think what Adams actually means is that not one of their contracts is valid for next season either.

Perhaps the most surprising element is that Dale has allegedly received offers for the club that would enable him to make money on his period of ownership; I find it almost impossible to believe that he has received any offers at all.

Their conduct continues to make a mockery of the EFL and its authority. Bury must be expelled from the EFL with immediate effect, otherwise this episode gives carte blanche to others to follow Dale's example. Coventry could be kicked out of the League next Wednesday even if they do manage to arrange a groundshare (Birmingham appears the only current option, but financially unviable); how does that compare with a club deliberately and quite openly refusing to pay any of its staff for four months?