LLWLLLLLLLDLLDLLLDLLLDL | Page 2 | Vital Football

LLWLLLLLLLDLLDLLLDLLLDL

Right, just listening to his Norwich preview, I reckon there was indeed a context. He was talking about the fact that he doesn't specifically intend to change the approach to future games, or the tactics . He reckons that the team has been set up to do a job ...... a job they were doing to plan ....... and then the individual mistakes cock things up.

In that case I think he really ought to be more specific and less ambiguous about what he means when he makes these comments. When he says "we can't turn nothing around now" that implies that the tactics won't change, individual errors won't change, psychology of the players won't change and, ultimately, neither will the results. If he was specifically referring to the approach then he should've explicitly mentioned this. Honestly, if he ever somehow got to manage in the Premier League the media would have a field day; they'd be queuing up to interview him with the amount of trash he talks.

That's it then. Neil Harris has talked the talk. All the usual bollox, platitudes, and stuff you'd expect a Manager to say ...................... except that if the Wigan Manager said it, he'd be accused of stating the bleeding obvious !

:rolleyes:

Will, he's there to manage a football team. (Whether he's any good at that is another matter).

Pre match and post match comments are part of it, yes, but he's not employed to be an orator ............. and if forum posters want to get excited about what he does or doesn't say, then I suppose that's their prerogative.

It doesn't add any weight or validity to their view though.

Every manager as a way of getting the best out of players Is the cook way working i think not One of the best in this league at the moment is the PNE boss who i think wil go to WBA he is working with next to nothing but they have a scouting system miles better than us

To be honest, what gets my goat with him is the way he takes a brew to the dugout. Shameful, absolutely disgusting, deserves sacking for that alone.

The writing was on the wall weeks ago but many of you guys could not see it. If the players and manager pull together for the remaing games we might have a chance of saving our bacon in the last game of the season against Milwall although my faith in the whole setup will not allow me to dream of that.

Don't think it's a lack of belief, it's just a pubic kick up the arse for our players. Cut out the silly mistakes and play the way I know you can, or I'll have to make some changes as you've shown me you haven't got the bottle for this league.

He's pretty much said he isn't going to make any changes and said the players aren't good enough - not so much a kick up the arse more sounding like defeatism to me.

A kick up the arse would be saying 'we are better than this, but if they don't start showing it i'll bring in the kids and bring back the out of favour players if they don't buck up'. But you know he wont do anything like that.

That's it then. Neil Harris has talked the talk. All the usual bollox, platitudes, and stuff you'd expect a Manager to say ...................... except that if the Wigan Manager said it, he'd be accused of stating the bleeding obvious !

:rolleyes:

You miss the point Harris is postive and full of fighting talk - he is trying to install belief in his players by saying 'when not if'.

Cook is negative, defeatisit, and talking of hoping and 'skin of the teeth' the absolute bare minimum we expect from a manager is they believe in themselves and the team - even if no one else does - he sounds like hes given up on us actually saving ourselves by taking the points by our good play and is reduced to hoping good luck gets us over the line.

When Martinez was on one of those horrendous runs he never ever gave in, look at that run at the end of the season we had when he changed formation and personnel and we became the best team in Europe for about 3 months. Would that have been possible if he had Cooks shit attitute? If Martinez said nothing was going to change much now, the personnel aren't good enough, there's nothing wrong with his tactics and he just hopes we scrape by - how could he have performed that miracle? If you want to pull off a turn around or a great escape then you have to believe you can do it and be open to trying new things to do it - our boss seems to have long ago ran out of ideas and has all but given up on beliving he can make it better - you don't say the shit he is saying by accident.

Harris bluster doesn't mean he can achieve what he says - but you need that postivite attitude to give you a chance to pull it off. Harris is saying they are all in it together while Cook is throwing the players under the bus and saying it's nothing to do with his tactics, Harris is saying they will survive compared to Cook is saying hopefully by the skin of the teeth, Harris is saying they can get results in the final games yet Cook is saying nothing is going to turn around - which one of those attitudes do you think is more likely to inspire their team to get results between now and the end of the season?

Cooks attitude is unprofessional and not counter productive- he needs to be issuing a rallying cry not feeling sorry for himself. When you face the media you are more likely to be more guarded of what you say and put on your best face - if he is doing that for journalists now then God help us what he really thinks and is saying behind the scenes. He needs to get his act together and find some fight and show some leadership or resign if he's got not faith left in himself or the team and give us a chance with someone else. Hope he finds some bottle before the team talk on Sunday!

Last edited:
I still don't think you've cottoned on to the nuance KDZ. I reckon Cook is being positive in saying that nothing needs to change, because we';re already doing good enough ........ if only we could eliminate the errors. Nothing needs to change because he's got confidence in the players he has to do the job at hand.

I may be wrong .......... and you can choose to take the more literal interpretation you already have ........ but let's face it, you can't always take what folk say at face value.

I still don't think you've cottoned on to the nuance KDZ. I reckon Cook is being positive in saying that nothing needs to change, because we';re already doing good enough ........ if only we could eliminate the errors. Nothing needs to change because he's got confidence in the players he has to do the job at hand.

I may be wrong .......... and you can choose to take the more literal interpretation you already have ........ but let's face it, you can't always take what folk say at face value.

If you are a manager why would you literally say something negative but mean it to figuratively positive? He's been in this game long enough to know you need to be clear with your language if you don't want to be taken out of context by the media - over the years Cook has always been very careful with what he has said and very rarely says things he doesn't mean - the fact he chose to word it that way makes me think that was the way it was intended.

As I say KDZ, we're all entitled to interpret what we hear in whatever way we choose. ...............

.............. just as we do on "other issues" (that shall not be named ! ......... but have summat to do with the title of that Noel Edmonds show with the Banker ;) )

Will, he's there to manage a football team. (Whether he's any good at that is another matter).

Pre match and post match comments are part of it, yes, but he's not employed to be an orator ............. and if forum posters want to get excited about what he does or doesn't say, then I suppose that's their prerogative.

It doesn’t add any strength or validity to their view though.

No-one expects him to be an orator, but the manager's suggesting that "nothing is going to change" after yet another away loss, would cause alarm to the fans of any club. You don't have to be a brilliant speaker to provide basic reassurance to the fans. Neil Harris isn’t exactly a fantastic orator but he has provided a rallying cry to the players and supporters, which is all that was required. Nobody would’ve said anything if Cook had done that.

To be honest, what gets my goat with him is the way he takes a brew to the dugout. Shameful, absolutely disgusting, deserves sacking for that alone.

I know you think that we're seizing any opportunity possible to criticise the manager, but it really isn't like that. Cook said that "nothing is going to change", yet we are edging closer to the relegation zone with nearly every game we play. That insinuates that we will eventually fall into the relegation zone, and go down. It's inevitable that such a comment is going to trigger panic, as he is the very man who has been tasked with preventing this from occurring, and keeping us up.

Last edited:
As I say KDZ, we're all entitled to interpret what we hear in whatever way we choose. ...............

.............. just as we do on "other issues" (that shall not be named ! ......... but have summat to do with the title of that Noel Edmonds show with the Banker ;) )

I'm sitting on that f@ckin fence again, I think both you n KDZ have valid points & it's how u either interpret or want to hear what PC is saying. I want to believe what your interpretation is of his statement but part of me thinks what KDZ says has merit anol...time will tell in the next few games I guess.....surely to god we are due an away win at some point this season!!!!

Ikr, people on here are really good at debating. Sometimes I find myself believing one poster and then I see the other user's reply and believe them.

Spot on there Will...more a case of listening / reading both sides of the debate where either side can sway your thinking. Rather be like that than sticking steadfastly to one view altho at times I am like that...eg 'dammed Brexit'!!!

Cook it a top manager, a little club like wigan when competing with the likes of huge clubs such as rotherham brings that into perspective, the players we have are way too good for a club like us, we should be thankful how well we are competing this season, an absolute delight to even be in the same league as the mighty Brentford!