Crystal Palace FC (The Glaziers) vs. Tottenham Hotspur - FA Cup | Page 11 | Vital Football

Crystal Palace FC (The Glaziers) vs. Tottenham Hotspur - FA Cup

The injuries have played a massive factor at a busy/critical time. Losing Harry, Son and Dele at the same time is like Liverpool losing Salah, Mane and Firminho.
The fact is we don't have the necessary quality to back that up or rotate effectively. You have to lay that at the doors of management and the coaching staff and to some degree the scouting team. Better players than we have as backup have been available and sold for costs that would fit our budget and so called blueprint we have just missed out.
How the f*ck can other and without disrespect lesser teams manage to find the likes of Kante, Mahrez, Doucoure, Maddison, David Brooks to name but a few that have all been bought for relative peanuts

Must admit, today was a low point for the club. Yes, we lost, and nobody was in the least bit surprised we did. We all looked at the team sheets and we all knew that we could win...but probably wouldn't. In the space of 4 days, our chance of silverware was over, and nobody could really raise a great argument that it shouldn't have been.

Daniel Levy should wake up tomorrow morning and instead of feeling a sense of bad luck, he should have a long hard look in the mirror. No point painting visions of the future which I'm sure he does frequently with his stadium architects and his accountants. Today's game was as honest assessment of where the club is in 2019. A massive reality check.

It's really down to what Levy does next. He is facing the possibility of losing his manager. He is facing the prospect of losing the best players and on tonight's evidence, the next gen players aren't going to maintain the momentum. He needs to intervene and do something about it. The question is, has he got it in him to do that or is he just so sold on the vision that he is deluded. That will of course cost him in the pocket as that's what standing still does.

At least some are now seeing why I said the depth of our squad was/is too lightweight and lacking in quality to sustain ourselves in four competitions and win anything.

The only mantra from Poch is the longer term view and maintaining a top 4 finish and CL football - from the clubs progression pov, I cannot argue with it.

Arsenal are now having to make a massive adjustment because of the number of seasons they've missed it now - so as such the 'dream'or replacing and leap-frogging Arsenal has happened, but we're at a different stage in our development than them and we have to make sure that we hammer home their problems by retaining a top 4 finish again this season.

Frankly, at the moment, without a huge improvement in our defence and with the absence of Harry and Alli and the walking wounded we still have to carry - I suspect it may well prove beyond us unless we make one or at least two smart buys in the last few days - which I do not see happening.

I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:
I have been away all day.
Just saw the score.
So we are out of two cups in a week. I assume some will be saying (mostly from within the club) that its oks the cups dont matter so long as we are CL next season.
What a crock of shit the premier league has turned football into.

It's not really the PL - it's the CL and the riches that it provides to clubs and players that has forced the demise in the value of domestic silverware.

...but 80% on here slated Townsend for his blind shooting on goal at will and that it was all drilled into him by AVB!

Those people can’t now state we should have kept him!

I was always an advocate of his. Always saw the good but he was never a Poch ‘child’ so never got the backing IMO.

On the game: only listened on radio as was driving. Sounded like another shit first 45 only for a rocket up the arse to get them going for the second half. Etc etc. Heard it all before and I’m fed up with lacklustre first 45 mins only to wake up after a Poch talking to ffs!!

Anyway, it’s all about top 4 because next season in the new stadium without CL football doesn’t bare thinking about!!!

Afraid you and I were one of the few who thought we shouldn't have sold him and should have given him more time to get over the injury that stopped him from going to the WC...but, we sold him and the rest is history.

We have a series of games in the PL that are not beyond us. The next being Watford. So what is our best team we can field. ?

Lloris, Aurier, Toby, Vert, Rose, Dier, Winks, Eriksen, Lamela, Moura, Son. ?

Sissoko may be in the mix. Wanyama is possibly easing in.

That team has a chance against Watford and Newcastle. I think Leicester and Burnley follow.

The chavs will probably overhaul is pushing us down to 4th but we are 7 points ahead of losing 4 th to arse or manu.

We have a series of games in the PL that are not beyond us. The next being Watford. So what is our best team we can field. ?

Lloris, Aurier, Toby, Vert, Rose, Dier, Winks, Eriksen, Lamela, Moura, Son. ?

Sissoko may be in the mix. Wanyama is possibly easing in.

That team has a chance against Watford and Newcastle. I think Leicester and Burnley follow.

The chavs will probably overhaul is pushing us down to 4th but we are 7 points ahead of losing 4 th to arse or manu.

The problem Poch now has is to try and stop a losing mentality creeping in and then reversing it - which with the way some are playing and the absences we have and will continue to have, I fear may well be beyond us without immeadiate impact new players.

I can easily see us giving up our 7 point lead, I really can.

Our ONLY chance is to win every game against EVERYONE outside the top 4-6. If we cannot get results against the likes of Watford, Newcastle, Leicester, and Burnley...we will not land in Top 4. (I can see United overtaking us and possibly Chelsea and/or Arsenal)

BL - We are at our weakest...right when we need to be at our strongest. Not good timing.

Afraid you and I were one of the few who thought we shouldn't have sold him and should have given him more time to get over the injury that stopped him from going to the WC...but, we sold him and the rest is history.

Townsend may have been a bit unlucky that he was already 22 when Poch joined the club. He had 8 or 9 different loans behind him and had been royally messed around by Harry in his critical learning years. AVB did actually try to let him establish himself but his on field decisions and his shoot on site etc were very annoying.

He's in a purple patch at the moment and people are talking about him as a 27 year old. They barely said a thing about him for the last 2-3 years though. It's all been about Zaha who I thought was poor yesterday.

It's not really the PL - it's the CL and the riches that it provides to clubs and players that has forced the demise in the value of domestic silverware.

Manure Shitty Chelski and Arse for example do not see it that way about the cups IMO. The issue is they have stronger squads and less injuries than us which affects our choices in the cup. Arse were up for it but Manure were too good. Look at the team Shitty put out against Burnley....Chelski against us and against Sheff Wed did not overly weaken their teams....THEY ALL WANT A CUP RUN... .as do most of us on here. But our injuries and shallowness of squad means we opt fior league position to get CL FIRST and foremost.Yesterday weak team all the possession BUT no bite . See Lorente for what he is...Finished...unlike his finishing! - get rid of

Manure Shitty Chelski and Arse for example do not see it that way about the cups IMO. The issue is they have stronger squads and less injuries than us which affects our choices in the cup. Arse were up for it but Manure were too good. Look at the team Shitty put out against Burnley....Chelski against us and against Sheff Wed did not overly weaken their teams....THEY ALL WANT A CUP RUN... .as do most of us on here. But our injuries and shallowness of squad means we opt fior league position to get CL FIRST and foremost.Yesterday weak team all the possession BUT no bite . See Lorente for what he is...Finished...unlike his finishing! - get rid of

How MP can stand watching Llorente is baffling. I mean hell...put your pride away and do what is best for the club and get Janssen or one of our young forwards on FFS!!

The problem Poch now has is to try and stop a losing mentality creeping in and then reversing it - which with the way some are playing and the absences we have and will continue to have, I fear may well be beyond us without immeadiate impact new players.

I can easily see us giving up our 7 point lead, I really can.

Same here, Citeh went on a wobble that saw Liverpool overtake them in the space of 3 or 4 games, and they didn't even have a massive injury list to blame.

As for the losing mentality creeping back in, it already has.
We are on course to lose the most PL games since 5 years ago, and that was being achieved before the current crisis.

Same here, Citeh went on a wobble that saw Liverpool overtake them in the space of 3 or 4 games, and they didn't even have a massive injury list to blame.

As for the losing mentality creeping back in, it already has.
We are on course to lose the most PL games since 5 years ago, and that was being achieved before the current crisis.

Still amazed we haven't drawn a match yet!

This is a low point in recent Spurs performances.Yes we were much better in the second half & if KWP hadn't done that silly young boy hand-ball & Trippier hadn't missed the penalty we might have got a result -a draw probably. We have to be pragmatic now,go hell for leather in keeping our top 4 place & have a go against Dortmund just for our self-respect. This is not the time to blunder into the transfer market unless we can get a good loanee like Chelsea have with Higuain.

I agree. But the riches premier league and CL has turned domestic cups (and the UEFA cup) into a nothingness. It was Tony Parks birthday the other day. He gave me my greatest memory ever as a fan way back in '84. If we are not gonna win CL and PL at least give the fans something for the memory bank. Just my opinion.

I agree. But the riches premier league and CL has turned domestic cups (and the UEFA cup) into a nothingness. It was Tony Parks birthday the other day. He gave me my greatest memory ever as a fan way back in '84. If we are not gonna win CL and PL at least give the fans something for the memory bank. Just my opinion.

Wenger got it right when he said that limiting squads in the way we have would put English competitions on the back burner and put us in a disadvantage in Europe - and it looks like he was dead right.

More pissed off about the Chelsea loss than this one. I would have rather played one more game than another entire tournament.

More pissed off about the Chelsea loss than this one. I would have rather played one more game than another entire tournament.

We would probably be in the final if Poch hadn't got the first leg so badly tactically wrong.

And the same goes for the first half in the second leg at the chav's.

yesterday could have gone better if we hadn't made two/three horrendous individual mistakes, but that's the cups for you.

What I now hate is the way Poch is justifying it as if fans are too stupid to understand.