Nathan Byrne | Vital Football

Nathan Byrne

Instead of fannying around in January securing
a league one standard player to a new contract the efforts should be focused solely on improving the current squad to help us stay in the division. We've still no left back on board for fucks sake and another 3 points on the line in a few days time. New owners, same old recruitment incompetence so far.

Isn’t Byrne good mates with Powell? Wonder if he’ll also be signing a new deal. There are some miserable beggars on here.

Calm down, I’m sure the club are working on signings

Why give a 2 1/2 year contract to a player who has demonstrated he's not good enough at this level - strange unless our ambition is league 1 ?
We'll be giving league 2 players 3 year contracts next .........oh wait on !

I see no issue with getting last years player of the season signed to a new deal. He's spent about 60 mins of this season in his natural position of right back.

Does anyone think Byrne would have been good enough to play right wing in L1? I certainly don't but he was outstanding a full back, so it's unfair to judge him not being a good enough Championship right back on his right wing performances.

James will be gone in the next 6 months so if we stay up Byrne is a potentially good replacement. If we go down he's the best right back in the league. If it turns out we stay up and he's not a champ player after a run in the team we can sell him to a L1 club for a few hundred grand rather than him leaving on a free in the summer.

It's all positive him signing in my opinion. Minimal risk good chance of reward.

Also i imagine these negotiations have been going back and forth for a while rather than just starting in January so in theory it shouldn't have massively impacted on our tranfer inquiries.

Not good enough at this level in any position based on Saturday. There’s a reason he was desperate to sign, he knows he won’t get a Championship deal anywhere else if we release him in the summer. Disappointing again!

Not good enough at this level in any position based on Saturday. There’s a reason he was desperate to sign, he knows he won’t get a Championship deal anywhere else if we release him in the summer. Disappointing again!

Is it fair to say he's not a Championship quality RB on zero league starts? You've got to give him a run of at least 5 or 6 starts to judge him properly. 1 team wide poor performance in the cup at right back shouldn't be determining if he can step up to this league.

If he was a right winger I'd agree he shouldn't get a new deal but Cooks insistence on using him out of position shouldn't be held against the player.
If he starts in right back position for a few league games and is poor then fair enough but until we do give him a run therr I dont think it makes much sense to write him off.

If that's the case then we should have maybe given him a few champ games at RB before offering a 2 1/2 year contract.....!

Agree with KingDeZeeuw, im happy Byrne is staying. As explained, all our scenarios are covered then. If we stay up, we know James is going back to Chelsea and we have a RB signed up and can prioritise recruitment for next season in Championship for another part of squad. If we go down then he can fit in at RB no probs when James goes back to Chelsea. And if he doesnt cut it in Championship as regular next season a club at top end of League 1 or Rangers etc will take him for a decent transfer fee.

Another reason i am in favour of keeping Byrne is he is an asset we own and we are already seeing both this window and this summer how difficult recruitement is without extremely wealthy owners, huge gates a la Sheff Utd and Leeds or parachute payments. Madine and his supposed wage at Cardiff and likes of Bournemouth paying 20 million for a striker in Solanke who has barely kicked a ball for Chelsea and Liverpool emphasises this.

The overall reaction on social media (Twitter in particular) to Byrne’s extension is wholly positive, whereas here it’s largely negative - no surprises there.

Since Twitter typically is usually more reasoned and realistic for Latics related talk these days (might have something to do with the lack of anonymity *cough* keyboard warriors *cough*), I think I’ll be siding with their consensus view on this one.

For Byrne’s detractors, I’d be interested to know who’d they’d view as a viable, inexpensive alternative to bring in this window. I’d say he deserves his extension for last year’s performances alone, and will prove useful next season - regardless of level - when James returns to Chelsea and a hole needs to be plugged.