Young stars....where are they? | Vital Football

Young stars....where are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

G.T.

Vital Newbie
As of the 31st of December 2017 we had the 4th oldest squad in the Championship. I can only imagine we are still around the same position. Where are our young players? Do we not have any that would make the grade? If we don't play them, how will we know if they can hack it?
Regards,
G.T.

Hi Villan,
Tammy and Axel are both 21 I believe, that hardly qualifies them as kids does it?

The others that are sitting on the bench and being ignored game after game simply identifies that the manager does not think they are ready.

You are right to point out that age isn't everything ( we are still missing John Terry ) but they'd represent the future of the club don't they?

My point was that the only way to judge if they are good enough is to play them ( not all at once obviously).

Regards,
G.T.

Not sure why age matters really Hutton is our best fullback at 35? Our best player is 23 .
The age of the squad was considered one of the key factors in our promotion failure last season. When they are playing twice a week for months on end eventually it catches up, you need a blend of energetic youth and experienced older heads, last season we didn’t have that balance. I think with McGinn, El Ghazi, Bolasie, Abraham, Tuanzebe we certainly have a faster, younger and more energetic side than last year

Hi Villan,
Tammy and Axel are both 21 I believe, that hardly qualifies them as kids does it?

The others that are sitting on the bench and being ignored game after game simply identifies that the manager does not think they are ready.

You are right to point out that age isn't everything ( we are still missing John Terry ) but they'd represent the future of the club don't they?

My point was that the only way to judge if they are good enough is to play them ( not all at once obviously).

Regards,
G.T.

You just asked if we had any and where they were, and yes those two are just about 21 by a month or so.. What's your point do you want us to play the under 23's or something because we are not top of the league.
Bree and Davis have been injured until this week.
We have been on a great run under a new manager and for some bizarre reason, you want to bring up stuff about young players ??

So do we drop all the over 28's and play 5 under 20's to get the average age down, is there some new rule I've missed?

Have you been drinking? You are ranting, I was hoping for a sensible discussion. What's next, 'get behind the team' or how about ' you are fickle' . Bloody hell, talk about Blues fans.......

Yes, so perhaps they are not ready. If the manager thought they were, I imagine he would play them. And in any case, if they have made it to the bench from the U23s, then by definition they are not being ignored.

Er, maybe see your previous observation. I'm sure DS sees them in action on a daily basis, and will doubtless take advice from his wider coaching staff.

Giving someone a 'chance' is what I do on a Sunday morning with my youth team.

This is top level professional football. You don't give someone a 'try' unless you are certain that they are better than what you have.
Clearly they are not at the required level yet. Otherwise Deano would play them. Why wouldn't he?. Doesn't make sense .

And he sees them day in day out. We don't. His judgement is FAR superior to anyone else. Just accept it.

Have you been drinking? You are ranting, I was hoping for a sensible discussion. What's next, 'get behind the team' or how about ' you are fickle' . Bloody hell, talk about Blues fans.......

Are you just a wind-up merchant, what in God's name are you talking about?
Me drinking I'd have a look in the mirror mate

Revan, JDH and O'Hare have all been in the squad recently. I personally would have at the very least brought O'Hare on yesterday but I get why he didn't.

We've been on a tough run of games and haven't really had the opportunity to blood any of these lads in recent weeks. If we're a couple of goals up vs QPR or Preston I bet that one or more of these lads will be given game time.

Bit of a strange discussion. I'm not sure our team is as old as you believe it to be. We only had 3 players on the pitch yesterday over the age of 30, Hutton, Elmo and Whelan. Last season JT and Snoddy would have been in there as well but they were 2 of our best players.
If the kids are good enough they will throw them in, but we cant be playing them just for the sake of it. Its up to them to take their chance and make an impact when they do get some game time.

Maybe they have the talent but desire is in doubt. The old Central league would have sorted that playing against the likes Tommy Smith trying to get his Pool first team place back.
You need the attitude like when Sid the kid said “I’ll be as quick and hard as Ardiles”
We have to rely on Deans judgement from training and poor u 23 league.

I’ve no Idear but perhaps we are a bit too protective of them.

To say the the younger player are not ready says so much about the villa coaching than any think else .And not only that we go out a loan other treams younger players and they go straight into the first team. Got to ask is it worth villa having a academy

To say the the younger player are not ready says so much about the villa coaching than any think else .And not only that we go out a loan other treams younger players and they go straight into the first team. Got to ask is it worth villa having a academy

Actually I think it says a lot about the general management of the youth set up for years. Hopefully that will change under the new owners, as seems to have started with the number out on loan at present.
Jack Grealish was sent out on loan to Notts County for the best part of two years as a kid and learned a lot from playing in a lower league against other teams wanting to win. Grealish wouldn't be the player he is without those loans.
We have a hatful of kids who are fast approaching the age when they aren't kids anymore, its time to get them out into the big nasty outside world and see if they can handle it.

Hi Guys, thanks for taking the time to reply. Some interesting and relevant comments by some posters.
Regards,
G.T.

Sorry to say 'I told you so ' I told you so'.but. Dads army 2 Leeds Boys 3. Not blaming Smithy as he is not responsible for the present youth scheme that obviously is none existent. Why not try to 'poach' the Leeds youth development team....it will save us a fortune in the future....
G.T.

Status
Not open for further replies.