Windows 10 | Vital Football

Windows 10

HeathfieldRoad1874

Miserable Sod
I thought it might be helpful to have a thread for this. Hopefully we can share experiences, and maybe sort any niggles out that can occur when upgrading any OS.

I will also give a few tips along the way, which may help some with common problems.

The first thing to say is that I have upgraded all 5 machines I own with no problem whatsoever. It is stable, fast, all devices work and the transition has been smooth and seamless. I have also helped many to make the jump, and fingers crossed, these also have gone well. There are a couple of things that look like issues, but it's just Microsoft trying to get Bing and their new browser used more.

If you've got Vista, it's a no brainer!! Vista is just horrendous, and it will be a great improvement for you. If you've got Windows 8/8.1 then you might like the more traditional Start menu, and that Apps just appear in normal Windows in 10.

If you've got Windows 7, then the choice might be harder. 7 was a very stable operating system, and many are more than happy with it. I would say that you will like Windows 10, and it will be supported much longer, so why not? 7 will be abandoned some day.

In short, most who can get the free upgrade should take advantage before the offer expires. Leave it as long as you want, to ensure that updates fix any potential glitches, but I would certainly say it's worth it.

I've upgraded my laptop and it's fine. There isn't much difference between 7 (what I was on) and 10.

I upgraded from Windows 8. Windows 8 was quite possibly the worst desktop software I have ever used. Windows 10 corrects many of the problems.

Not had any issues so far.

Some tips.

If you are waiting for the update, and it hasn't downloaded yet, you are in a queue. If you want to jump the queue, then you can with Windows Media Creation Tool. Google it, download it and run. Just make sure you select "Upgrade this Machine", not "Create Installation Media" or something similar.

Don't like Microsoft Edge? Missing Internet Explorer? Cortana to the rescue. The Grey box next to the start menu is a new search feature. Just type Internet Explorer in this, and a list will appear with it at the top. Right click on it, and select pin to Taskbar. You can right click on the Edge icon, and select remove from taskbar if you want to tidy things up.

This search facility covers pretty much anything on your PC or on the Web. Can't find a file? Just type it's name. It really is a big jump forward in convenience.

BB and Sherlock - good to hear you've had no problems.

agreed, 8 was a step too far. It actually works quite well on a touchscreen, but seeing as most users don't it was a huge mistake.

I am surprised that the upgrade worked so well. Every other major installation has had me waiting for new drivers, or not being able to install some older software. I get the impression this is just 8 with a new front end.

So it turns out the speakers on my laptop no longer work, but im guessing its just a case of waiting for a new driver to be released. I normally run my sound through a stereo anyway so it doesn't matter.

I've put on record in the 'Really Interesting' thread my thoughts and my experience. I found Windows 10 to be very slow and it disabled my anti virus,which it refused to allow me to start.

Thankfully I have rturned to Windows 8.1, which I have no problem with at all and I have my anti virus working as usual, so, after a day of anger and frustration, I am now a happy bunny once again.

I'm no technical whizz kid or whizz old man but it does seem strange that it works for some and not for others.

SherlockGT - 6/8/2015 17:51

So it turns out the speakers on my laptop no longer work, but im guessing its just a case of waiting for a new driver to be released. I normally run my sound through a stereo anyway so it doesn't matter.

Right click on the Audio Icon in the system tray, down by the clock. Select Playback devices and see if they are listed? If they aren't there, then yes, you may have to wait for new drivers. It's possible, however, that Windows has just decided that, because you use the out jack to your stereo, to turn them off!! Click on them and select Set Default button. You might have to reverse this when you sue you stereo again.

Pride of Lions - 6/8/2015 18:00

I've put on record in the 'Really Interesting' thread my thoughts and my experience. I found Windows 10 to be very slow and it disabled my anti virus,which it refused to allow me to start.

Thankfully I have rturned to Windows 8.1, which I have no problem with at all and I have my anti virus working as usual, so, after a day of anger and frustration, I am now a happy bunny once again.

I'm no technical whizz kid or whizz old man but it does seem strange that it works for some and not for others.

Microsoft just hates you, Pride!!

Out of interest, what Antivirus do you use? It could be that slowing everything down, trying to run in the background. I'll see if there are any known issues.

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 7/8/2015 01:03

Pride of Lions - 6/8/2015 18:00

Microsoft just hates you, Pride!!

Out of interest, what Antivirus do you use? It could be that slowing everything down, trying to run in the background. I'll see if there are any known issues.

Lol, Microsoft 10 certainly does....

I use Avira Heathfield. And as I say, it's working perfectly once again now.

That explains it, Pride. Avira, along with a few other antivirus programs, haven't been updated to run on Windows 10. You'll have to keep an eye on their forums, and see when they fix it.

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 7/8/2015 01:11

That explains it, Pride. Avira, along with a few other antivirus programs, haven't been updated to run on Windows 10. You'll have to keep an eye on their forums, and see when they fix it.

Thanks for that Heathfield, appreciate the info.

:14:

Thanks for doing this topic Heath! I have the windows 10 waiting for me to download for free. A little unsure about doing it, right away. We have AVG. Do you know of any issues with it with AVG anti virus/firewall and tune up and windows 10?

Thanks for that Heath. Yes everything is the up to date versions. Will go and do it now and get back to you

Windows 10 is now installing, so on my tablet for now. Be glad when it's done. I was bought this Kindle fire for Christmas and only really use it for reading. I am not mad on the tablet for internet access. Spoilt really I know

Brilliant Heath! All done. Really pleased with what I am seeing. Seems no problems so far. I like the start menu. The apps are alot tidier in windows 10 than in windows 8. Yes everything seems faster including Google chrome which is our web browser. Glad you mentioned that Microsoft wanted to sneak in Bing as the web browser as I watched out for that and un-clicked the box I presumed was pertaining to that.

My second lad just grumbled at me and said I should have waited a while before upgrading, however after seeing your topic I decided to take the plunge and glad I have

Though I unchecked the box last night for making Bing my homepage it has forced reset twice this morning to Bing.

Hope this link helps if your having the same problem. It seems to have solved it now. We are on Google, not Firefox however just followed same instructions and selected Google instead

https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2015/07/29/firefox-for-windows-10-how-to-restore-or-choose-firefox-as-your-default-browser/

Hi kefkat. No, I didn't mean during the installation, as you've now found out. It's just MS insists on promoting Bing, so Edge Browser and Cortana come with it as the default search engine.

You can't do anything about Cortana (yet), but if you do like Edge, and want to keep it, you can change the default search engine. You need to visit the home page of the one you like, click on the three dots at the top right, select settings and then view advanced setting. The one you have visited should now be in the list under default search engine option.

Of course, what most will do is revert to their favourite browser!!! Poor Bing!!

LOL thanks Heath. Thats' the way I did after my usual ''where the freak is Google so ''God'' :14: couldn't be everywhere so he gave us Google, line

Yours is much simpler. I always head for Google to find answers.

Yup poor Bing. No one I know seems to have taken to it