The Run In | Page 7 | Vital Football

The Run In

Remember, we are not 100% there yet. Now City teams of the past may have blown their chance by losing the last two games 3 or 4-0, but not the Cowley team. Think we will cement our 6th place finish, and to be honest I think we will be playing Exeter in the Semi-Final. For some reason I have had a vision of the Red and white stripes battle in my head. Now that will be a difficult couple of games, but we are in the ascendancy. I couldn't afford to get a ticket or travel for our Checkatrade Trophy final at Wembley, but will be able to IF we get there for the play-off final.
The only concern I have is the amount of abuse, laughter and general ill feeling and venom we will get from our neighbours should we fail to go up.
It is one reason why I pray we can do it, and get to the next station on the Lincoln Loco journey.
Shouldn't worry about Codland they have a long haul ahead before they even begin to retain credibility. (Possibly) scraping avoiding relegation or narrowly missing out in the play offs with everything to look forward to would = relief and jealousy in equal measure.

Humour me. If both Lincoln and Cov win there is a chance that our positions could come down to head to head results - is that correct? After goal difference and goals scored?

I can't see us losing the game against Yeovil. A draw would be worst case scenario for me. But I can see Coventry and Mansfield both winning their last game, so we really can't afford to lose. After todays results I think we will end up in 7th place now and facing Exeter in the play-off Semi-final.

Humour me. If both Lincoln and Cov win there is a chance that our positions could come down to head to head results - is that correct? After goal difference and goals scored?

I think so after goal difference and goals scored.......irrespective really unless we both have a mare next week as I think we'll both be top 7 which is all that matters

We just need to get that point. If we get 3 then I wouldn't want to try to guess whether we might end up 4th or 7th.

Exeter will be most disappointed after today I think, they will have had realistic expectations of taking 3rd - all about how they react.

Notts v Luton - who knows, albeit Luton might be in holiday mode.

The Bottom of the league has s Barnet reprieve all over it so impossible to look beyond a Coventry win.

Could happen if we win 2-0 on Saturday and Cov win 1-0 for example. In which case , Freck's goal last Tuesday means we would pip them due to 5-4 advantage in head-to-head goals scored. If I understand correctly, if we did not have that goal advantage there would be a playoff ?! Crazy

Could happen if we win 2-0 on Saturday and Cov win 1-0 for example. In which case , Freck's goal last Tuesday means we would pip them due to 5-4 advantage in head-to-head goals scored. If I understand correctly, if we did not have that goal advantage there would be a playoff ?! Crazy
A play-off - to see who goes where in the play-offs ???. Personally I think the predicted score of 3 - 0 is pie in the sky. Great if we can do it, but I'll happily settle for a nervous 1 - 0 win with one off Ryan Allsop's backside when he goes up for a corner in the 97th minute!

Thoughts on how things stand:
1. See it was Lee Angol that pushed Mansfield on yesterday with two goals from the subs bench.
2. Stevenage (at the Stags) don't look as though their season is over yet - see they beat Exeter 3 - 1 yesterday when they had nothing to play for. Mansfield may not get an easy game.
3. Yeovil, they are now safe and they haven't had an impressive run of results (other than winning 6 - 2 at Coventry which was even better than us!). It really depends what mindset they turn up with on the day, although I'm absolutely positive DC won't even be thinking about that - he'll have the players primed and ready to go. Come on you Imps ??

To explain, EFL rules say league positions are determined by
1. points
2. goal difference
3. goals scored
4. head-to-head results between the two teams, following points 1-3 above.

Therefore, if Lincoln and Coventry were to finish with identical records (for example, if Coventry lose 1-0 next Saturday while Lincoln lose 2-1), Lincoln would finish above Coventry because Lincoln edge goal difference (5-4).

Thoughts on how things stand:

2. Stevenage (at the Stags) don't look as though their season is over yet - see they beat Exeter 3 - 1 yesterday when they had nothing to play for. Mansfield may not get an easy game.

Crawley, who lost at home to Crewe.

To explain, EFL rules say league positions are determined by
1. points
2. goal difference
3. goals scored
4. head-to-head results between the two teams, following points 1-3 above.

Therefore, if Lincoln and Coventry were to finish with identical records (for example, if Coventry lose 1-0 next Saturday while Lincoln lose 2-1), Lincoln would finish above Coventry because Lincoln edge goal difference (5-4).

That really would be squeaky bum time....if Mansfield won and leapfrogged us both and we made the p/o on head to head with Coventry :eek!:A good advert for those of us who think play offs are a good idea and keep the interest going into the last game even though I’ll need to up my blood pressure pills

That would be used for determining league position too. So if Mansfield fail to win, Lincoln and Coventry are in the play-offs. Were the scenario outlined above to occur (1-0 and 2-1 defeats), Lincoln would finish 6th. Therefore, Lincoln can lose and still finish 6th, 7th or 8th.

get rid of the playoffs in my opinion . I've never liked them since their inception . The table is based on results over the 46 games in the season , therefore the top 4 should go up . The bottom four are automatically relegated , so why not the top 4 automatically promoted .

still someone paid more money that i was obviously deemed it worth while , so they are there . How long before the teams down to 10 are involved :grinning:

get rid of the playoffs in my opinion . I've never liked them since their inception . The table is based on results over the 46 games in the season , therefore the top 4 should go up . The bottom four are automatically relegated , so why not the top 4 automatically promoted .

still someone paid more money that i was obviously deemed it worth while , so they are there . How long before the teams down to 10 are involved :grinning:

Play off final weekend and football league opening weekend. My 2 favourite weekends of the year.

Wasn't keen on them at first but now they are essential to keeping interest going. Many seasons before their inception our season was finished February/March with nothing to play for. Now they keep things going for many teams right up to the last couple of games so I have come round to them.

I would resist though going down the non-league route of 6 teams making the play offs as the points gap from 2nd to 7th in that league is massive and that is almost the same as 4th to 9th in ours