What are you cooking during lockdown? | Page 385 | Vital Football

What are you cooking during lockdown?

Back to the foodie thread!

Tamarind and chilli prawns with sticky rice, followed by a small slice of (very rich) hazelnut cheesecake. Unfeasibly optimistic Provence rose to drink, trying to pretend it's nearly springtime despite evidence to the contrary....

We tried a new recipe recently, stuffed a couple of chicken breasts with sliced pepperoni, red pesto and mozzarella, sprinkled with Cajun spice and then wrapped with bacon and cooked in the oven for about 40 mins ( they were quite big). Really tasty, served with sliced baked potatoes and salad

Last edited:
Made a bit too much pastry for above pie (this is a habit of mine!), thus froze the unused bits. Thinks aloud: perhaps I could make a lemon meringue pie with said leftover pastry.... Mr Hither agreed and that was that! And very nice it was too.

Roast chicken and all trimmings today.

Had a bout of domestic goddessery today (I am almost certainly trying to avoid doing something less appealing #procrastibaking).

Cinnamon and almond cake, two no-churn ice creams (chestnut and salted caramel bourbon), beef rendang for dinner, lamb and apricot tagine for later in the week. It became clear that I had completely lost the plot when I decided to make a batch of marmalade as well...

My turn to cook tonight so it was a version of chicken chow mein.
Very quick to do using pak Choi, egg noodles, garlic, bean shoots, sugar snap peas, spring onion, and peanuts all stir fried with a mixture of mirin, soy sauce and sesame oil……Mrs E approved

Sausages and baked potatoes tonight (unless Mr Hither gets back from a busy day in London and decides he wants a takeaway curry...) Tamarind and chilli prawns with spring onion, ginger and sweetcorn rice tomorrow, passionfruit cheesecake and a bottle of white to go with.

It was a curry in the end!

Roast chicken with all trimmings (and yes, that includes the sprouts) tonight with a bottle of Viognier to go with. I am definitely avoiding doing something boring (that would be creating a presentation slide deck for tomorrow, I suspect), as have just made a batch of chilli-spiced tomato and red pepper chutney.... The cat was objecting loudly to the vinegary smells! :grinning:😾

Felt the need to make chutney (always a sign I am avoiding doing something important but tedious), so two jars of spiced tomato and onion relish now maturing in a cupboard....

Thai chicken with basil and chillies tonight, grasshopper (cream/mint/chocolate as per cocktail, not insect-based!) pie for dessert as am experimenting ahead of the summer visitors' season. Will report back.

[Post-meal edit: yup, definite successes there! Dessert somewhere between mousse and cheesecake but tastes like the world's best mint choc ice cream...]

Last edited:
The chutney cupboard has now been further upgraded with a fresh jar of black olive and fig chutney with Marsala (you guessed it, Nigella) and a small jar of red onion, fennel and chestnut chutney.

Today's culinary procrastination took the form of smoked salmon and cream cheese pate and a batch of chicken liver, thyme and brandy pate.

Thai duck stir-fry with mushrooms and peppers and ginger spring onion rice tonight.

Planning to cook a game casserole in red wine this weekend, just cos I have never done it before! Will report back...

Fish florentine (bed of spinach and tomato, brill fillets topped with cheese sauce and baked) tonight.

We had a couple of sea bass fillets last night, baked in the oven with a zesty (lemon and herb) breadcrumb topping with lemon zest mayo, minted new potatoes and salad. Note to self…must eat more fish, very tasty
I’ve been thinking that we’ve not heard from Rob the Imp for quite a while and I’ve not seen any posts….hope he’s ok