SC wants a bigger budget for strikers? | Vital Football

SC wants a bigger budget for strikers?

wxgill

Vital 1st Team Regular
“I am obviously working within a budget and so I have to fit players into that budget and generally when you need players at the top end of the pitch they cost you the most money. We will have to see what happens on that.”

Not sure he ctually said he wsnts a bigger budget. He indicated good strikers cost more. Trashbat is right wheel and deal so you can spend more of your budget on them if need be. Williams and Bonne leaving will free up a decent chunk which frankly this season was wages never properly used

I suspect Clem is just preparing fans for the limited number of signings outside of the obvious need for strikers.

Goal scorers seem to be short in supply so that forces up the price and makes clubs more desperate to hold on to them.

Wheeling and dealing last summer ended up landing us with Nadesan, who I had never heard of, and Bonne who had been a free agent and had not found a club by mid August so would have accepted modest terms - later matched by struggling Cambridge.

The majority of funds do need to be aimed at solving our obvious weakness.

I’m not buying the whole lacking goalscorer excuse.

J Williams scored 1 in 49 for us. 15 in 84 for Swindon.

Dieng scored 8 in 58 for us. 17 in 68 for Exeter.

Lapslie 6 in 62 for us. 23 in 104 for Mansfield.

Had these 3 players continued their scoring run-rate in to their Gillingham careers, then we’d have scored an extra 22!!! goals.

I suspect Clem is just preparing fans for the limited number of signings outside of the obvious need for strikers.

If we were to bring in just 2 quality strikers and a quality pacy winger or midfielder, then I don’t think many/any Gills fans would moan about not getting another defender, keeper or whatever.

It’s patently obvious we are ok at the back, but badly lacking up front. And Brad has repeatedly said there will only be 3-4 incoming. Any fans who think we are going to get quality strikers AND another CB, midfielder, LB, keeper as well is kidding themselves.

If we were to bring in just 2 quality strikers and a quality pacy winger or midfielder, then I don’t think many/any Gills fans would moan about not getting another defender, keeper or whatever.

It’s patently obvious we are ok at the back, but badly lacking up front. And Brad has repeatedly said there will only be 3-4 incoming. Any fans who think we are going to get quality strikers AND another CB, midfielder, LB, keeper as well is kidding themselves.
I still think the midfield needs 3 out 3 in.

Lapslie (too injury prone and poor value), Williams Senior (out of contract), Clarke (what does he do?) - as a minimum.

SC is right. Take a look at the clubs that have gone up, all had top quality forwards. A factor almost certainly not lost on our owners. Much as our forward players have tried their best this past season, i`m afraid two or three simply haven`t been good enough and that`s the primary reason we didn`t achieve our aim.

I`m hopeful that, when it comes to our two (or 3) new forwards, we`ll be spending appropriately. We might be fortunate enough to pick up a bargain quality forward but, in general , Quality Costs.

I agree with you about our defence, OSK. But still wouldn`t be surprised to see at least six or seven new faces in the 24/25 squad. Maybe we should have a poll ;)

Not in numbers. With Hutton clearly a wing back, we have little cover on the right side of defence and many seem unconvinced by Malone or Clark on the left.

So we have three centre backs including Max who seems to be a marmite character and Masterson who some suspect may want away. The only real cover is McKenzie and are we sure he will stay? - Hawkins hasn't played in defence for us and also has an injury that has already cost him half a season.

I agree with you about our defence, OSK. But still wouldn`t be surprised to see at least six or seven new faces in the 24/25 squad. Maybe we should have a poll ;)

Agree with you (and wx in his post) that we might need more. The only way that will happen is if some contracted players are on the move or are poached.

As it stands I reckon there will be 4 incomings. But if, say, SW or Max retires or moves on, Lapslie has a suitor and a player like Masterson, Ogie, Coleman or Jeffries is offered L1 football and we get a nice fee, then yes, there will be more incomings.

Not in numbers. With Hutton clearly a wing back, we have little cover on the right side of defence and many seem unconvinced by Malone or Clark on the left.

So we have three centre backs including Max who seems to be a marmite character and Masterson who some suspect may want away. The only real cover is McKenzie and are we sure he will stay? - Hawkins hasn't played in defence for us and also has an injury that has already cost him half a season.

Yes, agree with all that too. In an ideal world we’d upgrade every single position. But that’s what a budget and the FFP rules are all about. We simply can’t have everything.

We could add a LB, change both RB’s, get another CB in and another keeper. But that all means less on the forwards. We don’t have, and aren’t allowed, an unlimited budget.

All comes back to if a few of our fringe or unwanted players can be moved on, and if we get decent offers for any of our youngsters or other senior players. If we can’t do either, then it probably means what Brad has said about only 3 or 4 in.

Agree with you (and wx in his post) that we might need more. The only way that will happen is if some contracted players are on the move or are poached.

As it stands I reckon there will be 4 incomings. But if, say, SW or Max retires or moves on, Lapslie has a suitor and a player like Masterson, Ogie, Coleman or Jeffries is offered L1 football and we get a nice fee, then yes, there will be more incomings.
Yep, gonna be an interesting off-season. My guess is that we`ll ship in 2 new forwards, a wide player, a dominant midfielder, another central defender, a LWB and a goalie.

It`s worth considering that GFC is now in a period of serious business propositions relating to players. The Gallinsons know how much they`re willing to sink into new players costs - but no-one else is likely to be privy. With (likely unfounded) media speculation as to the wealth at GFC, it wouldn`t be prudent to broadcast that we are looking to make wholesale changes or bid big as our market place could become over-inflated.

I am hoping what BG means is 4 permanent signings and 4 loans which would tally up with the possible leavers and assume we move only one in contract player on.

If we assume Willaims Morris Bonne and Clarke are out of contract and he tries to move Nadesan on then thats 5 spots plus the 3 loan spots we had this year. I am hoping here we keep Jeffries.

That allows us to bring in 8 without changing the squad number.

Had these 3 players continued their scoring run-rate in to their Gillingham careers, then we’d have scored an extra 22!!! goals.

I didn’t realise this before. The recruitment team (strikers aside) have recruited goals in the squad. So why do we continue to fire blanks?

I didn’t realise this before. The recruitment team (strikers aside) have recruited goals in the squad. So why do we continue to fire blanks?

Can include our strikers as doing worse here than previous clubs. I’m sure both Nichols and Hawkins scored at a higher rate previously even if not prolific. And Bonne has twice got double figures in L1 & Championship, and 2x 25 goal seasons in the NL. He should have scored a decent number for us.

If you add a few extra goals from those 3 players, the extras that Trashy alludes to from our attacking mids, plus the goals we actually did get from Dieng, Masterson and Mahoney, then even this squad should have got a mid range total of goals for us. Say 60+.

Why on earth haven’t we done that for 3 seasons? Under 3 permanent and 1 temp manager.

Is it possible that our lack of fire power made it more difficult for midfielders to break forward without being picked up . Hawkins offered very little movement so the other defenders were largely just looking for movement from midfield.

Is it possible that our lack of fire power made it more difficult for midfielders to break forward without being picked up . Hawkins offered very little movement so the other defenders were largely just looking for movement from midfield.
Hawkins was playing for Mansfield when we scored 7 league goals in half a season, though. Our worst run.

The much sought after Mandron was leading the line then.

And despite his lack of mobility, he would often occupy a couple of defenders, in theory creating space for others to use and profit.

Last edited: