New Manager (Rumours and Suggestions) | Page 7 | Vital Football

New Manager (Rumours and Suggestions)

Pete Wild would be choice, on the basis of what he has achieved at Halifax and Barrow. On a limited budget

I would not be against Adam Barret as well, but this seems too untested, like Clemence to me
He`s done well as a manager in NL and L2, but would he really want a complete up-sticks down to Kent ? Doubt it. Much as money talks, personal situations are also a factor. Plenty of top managerial talent in the South - not to say I wouldn`t welcome Paul Cook as our new HC ;)

TheRealEFL have had their say on who we could target. No mention of Maher 😁

I couldn’t care less about style of football.

You don't?

Our current problem is that we are very slow and methodical in the defence to attack transition.
We are predictable.

Invite pressure you get pressure
Managerial inexperienced

Hopefully, next season (assuming he’s still here) he will implement a system that the players can understand.
Successful teams have system and a successful manager knows when and how to tweak it during a match.

For example, in our division, MK play tippy pass pass and pass again.
Wrexham play a powerful quick closing and attacking game.
Stockport load the ball into the box from wide areas.

Gills don’t even know the best lineup after nearly an entire season.

You could have fooled me.

Reported by BBC Scotland today: St Mirren striker Mikael Mandron is being monitored by both Saint-Etienne and Utrecht ahead of a potential summer transfer for the 29-year-old Frenchman.

Life`s full of surprises, this is one of `em !
What do the frogs and clogs know about football? Oh yeah, the clogs won the Euros in 1988 and the frogs the WK a few years later...... ehm, perhaps the teams all have a masochistic nature.....

More importantly - did we have a sell-on clause for him?

View attachment 72959

Maher is not a guy I know that well, so will defer, but this is an interesting take from Nixon.
I actually liked Kevin Maher as a player when het was with us but unfortunately, I cannot escape the impression that I was one of the few. One thing will be certain, if his management ethos is anything like his playing one, then he will take no prisoners when it comes down to it. Whether that is enough to get promotion, well, let's just say, I wouldn't bet my house on it, my scooter either.

Think he might have you there on that one, he’s identified what our problem is and hopes we implement a system. That could be any system, just A system. Doesn't matter what style that is just that we understand it and can carry it out effectively.

Totally got me. :rolleyes:
He clearly doesn't care about what style of football is implemented.
ChatGPT agrees entirely with you. Oh, wait what?

Based on the statements provided, it seems like the person does care about the style of football and is critical of the current team's playing style and tactics. Here's why:

1. Criticizing the team's slow and predictable transition from defense to attack indicates a concern about the team's playing style and effectiveness on the field.

2. Mentioning that the team is predictable and easily invites pressure suggests a desire for a more dynamic and unpredictable style of play.

3. Expressing frustration about the manager's inexperience and hoping for a new system to be implemented next season implies a desire for a change in tactics and strategy.

4. Highlighting the importance of having a system and a manager who can make effective tactical adjustments during matches shows an understanding of the impact of playing style on team performance.

5. Comparing the playing styles of other teams in the division and critiquing Gills for not having a clear lineup after a season further emphasizes the importance of having a defined system and style of play.

Overall, the statements suggest that the person is concerned about the current style of football being played by the team and is hopeful for improvements in tactics, strategy, and overall performance in the future.

He got me! Yeah, I appreciate I'm probably just being a prat at this stage and yes, I do sit on the spectrum not shockingly.
But I thought I'd point out why.
COYG.

Last edited:
There is really no need for any recruitment process in my opinion.
Simply identify the first choice candidate and make them the best offer we can and give them a fixed period of time to accept or decline. Two or three days maximum.
If declined, move straight on to the next on the list.
We don’t need interviews or short lists.
My first choice would be Ainsworth
Second Duff
Both available immediately

Exactly The interview should really be a sales pitch from us for the job. This should be a targeted head hunt as opposed to putting it out to general tender.

Just throwing another name into the hat.

I've been alerted to the name of a Scottish guy who handed his resignation in on the same day Clemence left us.

Look out for

Humza Yousaf