Gillingham target Maher | Vital Football

Gillingham target Maher

Not for the first time apparently.

Haven’t read the article (need to sign up to his Patreon) but Nixon is a fairly reliable source

I never realised that he was apparently our first choice when Harris was shown the door. But Southend refused permission to speak to him.

Anyone know if that’s correct? I thought we were just linked with Clem & Scott Lindsey.

I never realised that he was apparently our first choice when Harris was shown the door. But Southend refused permission to speak to him.

Anyone know if that’s correct? I thought we were just linked with Clem & Scott Lindsey.
I remember reading we had made contact before we appointed Clem but it was quite late in the process though so I’d be surprised if he was first choice

I remember reading we had made contact before we appointed Clem but it was quite late in the process though so I’d be surprised if he was first choice

The way it’s been told on some forums is that we first approached Southend about him before anyone else. Rumour is they put a big compensation fee on him so we declined, but the official press release simply said we were refused permission to talk to him. We then moved on to Lindsey and Clemence.

All rumour tho. @Gills_Horse you know if any of that is correct?

I believe that is correct from last time round mate, not sure this time round, been told nothing so far. Will post in here anything I hear.

David Miller stated on this weeks ME7 podcast, stated " I know for a fact he {Maher} was offered the job" before we offered it to Clemence.

I'm puzzled by the many people talking about an experienced, successful lower league manager. I'm not aware of many that fit the description. Any offers?

I'm puzzled by the many people talking about an experienced, successful lower league manager. I'm not aware of many that fit the description. Any offers?

SE, Ainsworth, McCann. Maybe Cowley?

Depends what you class as “successful”. Someone on the other thread said Bonner only has a 38% win record. But that does include a L2 promotion with Cambridge.

Pete Wild has a 43% win ratio which is decent. But no promotions. Same as Graham Alexander. 43% wins over a long career but don’t think any promotions.

David Artell (Grimsby) was good at Crewe and got them promoted.

I think whatever manager we get next and whatever previous record they have, will be a complete unknown if they will be successful here.

So the idea of going in a different direction at that time was originally to pay off someone with Championship management experience and replace them with someone who, apart from a caretaker spell at Brizzle Rovers, has only managed for a couple of seasons at NL level and possibly pay compo?

What could possibly go wrong? Would he have inspired Bonne and Nichols to score goals? Who knows.

On that basis maybe even Woodman would be too expensive for us.

Last edited:
Sorry Kevin but completely underwhelming if true,not sure but read somewhere he has just signed long term contract,maybe to ward off Gills or get huge payout,this is our opportunity don’t loose it again

It’s a silly charade whenever we come to appoint a new manager. There’s no such thing as a successful manager that hasn’t failed somewhere. If they’re successful, they’re in employment. If they’ve failed they’re out of work. You might find a successful non league manager but then they’ve got no league experience. Then when you find a manager that has had more success than failure you get “I wouldn’t want him within a million miles of Gills” because some don’t like the character. I’ll just wait and give whoever we pick a chance.

I liked Maher as a player and wouldn't have minded if we'd appointed him before, suspect it would make less financial sense now though.

Feels like this story (like may others) is just looking at the last time and making a lazy assumption though, rather than having any current factual basis.

And seeing as we've dismissed almost every other manager as "wouldn't want to work under Kenny", if Maher can cope with having "senior football strategist" Stan Collymore I don't think it would be too much of a problem for him.

With the restrictions Maher been working under for the last 18 months and the points deduction he should have been battling relegation but somehow missed out on the playoffs by a few points.

I have no Idea on his style of play but he appears to be able to get the max out of his squad which I don't think we have got anywhere near for some time. He would be a 👍 from me.

Sorry Kevin but completely underwhelming if true,not sure but read somewhere he has just signed long term contract,maybe to ward off Gills or get huge payout,this is our opportunity don’t loose it again
This isn't a personal attack but you've said it so I'm afraid you've been picked on - I've seen so many people using the word 'underwhelming' regarding potential managers, and I'm genuinely interested to hear which realistic managerial appointment would make you 'whelmed'?

This isn't a personal attack but you've said it so I'm afraid you've been picked on - I've seen so many people using the word 'underwhelming' regarding potential managers, and I'm genuinely interested to hear which realistic managerial appointment would make you 'whelmed'?
Ainsworth and Duff would both have me "whelmed" - Ainsworth had nothing but success with a League One Club IMO over a pretty long period and Duff had success with two. They then both moved up to "bigger" clubs and things didn't work out.

A certain Rob Edwards similarly went through the Watford "experience" and , in theory, failed but is now getting Luton to punch well above their weight.

I had severe misgivings about SC as a manager but hoped his coaching ability would get him through. I would definitely have the same misgivings about Woodman or Maher but would hope to be proven wrong in time, if we make the right signings.