Clemence Set Up To Fail | Page 5 | Vital Football

Clemence Set Up To Fail

*"one of the hardest things to coach in football is scoring goals. You can get players, teams, into the right areas but there comes a point where players have to produce a final pass or a final shot - which comes down to a football player, really. When you cross the white line having that ability to carry out and execute a final pass or finish"

I read that as, in the final analysis - training ground is one thing, game time is another and Calibre is a big factor when it comes to scoring. Confidence is another, of course.

Anyone recognise whose words these * were ?
These were the words of Stephen Clemence this season, alluding to our feeble front line. Must say, I had a lot of sympathy for SC and those views. I believe that, if there was a related fault at GFC, then SC certainly wasn`t the only factor.
Let`s see who we "retain", might be easier to say more after the list is published.

These were the words of Stephen Clemence this season, alluding to our feeble front line. Must say, I had a lot of sympathy for SC and those views. I believe that, if there was a related fault at GFC, then SC certainly wasn`t the only factor.
Let`s see who we "retain", might be easier to say more after the list is published.
I concur with this.
I’d have scored loads more if I had shot more.
For some reason I didn’t 😂

It is all about opinions. Others may say you can at least coach aspects of good forward play and step up shooting practice, as someone posted a couple of days ago.

NH might have been saying you can't coach leadership either in the following article after the Grimsby game but added that they all had to find that within themselves, whether that comes from him as a manager or comes from the dressing room. He wasn't dodging the issue:

I completely disagree with that. Pretty much everything involved in goalscoring involves a coachable trait. You can coach players to find space, you can coach one-touch finishing, you can coach players to hit the corner of the goal by constant training of that skill, you can coach a player to be more aware of when and where to make their movements, you can coach an attacking unit to have patterns of play to open up goalscoring opportunities (it's true, other teams actively do this). Composure comes with consistent and regular successful repetitions of a positive action, in this case kicking a ball in a net past a goalkeeper.

You can work on mental aspects with a player, you can work on their confidence, help them understand where they need to be - one of my favourite ones at the moment is with Unai Emery and Ollie Watkins, as apparently all Emery has done is tell Watkins not to spend too much time running out wide and instead stay in the middle where he can score goals. Hardly rocket science, but Emery is hailed as a genius for doing it. I mean, he IS a genius, but not for that. But it's an easy example of coaching a player to get more out of him in a goalscoring sense.

Sure, you still get what I suppose you could term a 'natural' goalscorer who will need less work on these things, but to suggest you can't improve a player's ability to score a goal through coaching just isn't true.
I don't claim any expertise but Steve Lovell's tenure suggests he coached some fairly average strikers to good returns.

I am not for a minute calling for him to make the decision but it's worth mentioning that Sally had a none too shabby record in picking managers. It's not an exact science and I reckon he did well above average over his 27 years or so

It is all about opinions. Others may say you can at least coach aspects of good forward play and step up shooting practice, as someone posted a couple of days ago.

NH might have been saying you can't coach leadership either in the following article after the Grimsby game but added that they all had to find that within themselves, whether that comes from him as a manager or comes from the dressing room. He wasn't dodging the issue:

I`ve always respected what NH has had to say.

Similarly to the situation around SC, none of us know to what extent, if at all, NH was restricted when it came to Recruitment. I liked Harris and would have been happy had we kept him. But I also respected BG`s new vision and accepted that as fans, we should get behind NH`s replacement and support GFC.

As i`ve alluded over many months, my biggest hope is that the Gallinsons, in their acclimatisation to English football, are receiving the best possible guidance and counsel.

I am not for a minute calling for him to make the decision but it's worth mentioning that Sally had a none too shabby record in picking managers. It's not an exact science and I reckon he did well above average over his 27 years or so
Don`t disagree with that Jo. PS appeared to be a canny wheeler and dealer when it came to getting the best out of apparent limited funds.

If the current budget for a new manager/head coach is commensurate with BG`s progressive aims, then hopefully we are now shopping in the appropriate aisle

Beat me to it. Was going to mention the improvement of Eaves under Lovell.

Also seem to recall a similar quote from Lovell, to Joe's example of Emery
Yes, be good to see Big Tom back. Of course, sometimes it`s more about managing a good or decent player to send diffidence packing. It`s a funny old game .