Birmingham History Thread - then and now | Page 23 | Vital Football

Birmingham History Thread - then and now

"An eye-catching landmark at the end of Colmore Row, where the Wesleyan building now stands, for many Brummies the Gaumont was the place you visited for a treat. Initiallly launched as the Gaumont Palace Theatre with Ronald Colman in Raffles, on opening the Mercury announced that “8,000 electric lamps, fifty miles of electric wire and 60,000 feet of steel tubing” had been used in construction of the building. The Compton organ which emerged from beneath the stage was a particular attraction."

"An eye-catching landmark at the end of Colmore Row, where the Wesleyan building now stands, for many Brummies the Gaumont was the place you visited for a treat. Initiallly launched as the Gaumont Palace Theatre with Ronald Colman in Raffles, on opening the Mercury announced that “8,000 electric lamps, fifty miles of electric wire and 60,000 feet of steel tubing” had been used in construction of the building. The Compton organ which emerged from beneath the stage was a particular attraction."

You can see the film on at the Gaumont at the time was 'The Sound of Music' and I remember, as a kid my mom and dad dragging me screaming and shouting to see it. Even then it was too candyfloss for me.

I was more interested in James Bond......

My number 5 bus route from Aston would pass the Gaumont cinema and for years they continued to show The Sound of Music.

It really was a million miles away from life these days and personally, I'm glad I grew up in those times rather than the present.
Wish I had a quid for every time mom and dad saw it.

The two places I spent most of my drunken times. Bakers the nightclub near five ways and Rosies nightclub Sutton Coldfield both torn down I am recently told.
I'm sure the contractors tearing them down must have found a few Brucie bonuses.