12 Months | Page 2 | Vital Football

12 Months

For reference, Pep almost missed out on Champions League qualification in his first season with City. Eventually finished 3rd, but only three points ahead of 5th placed Arsenal. People at the time said he didn’t suit the PL (mainly because he bought a clown to play in goal, but anyway…) and would fail. But he learnt from that season and now the whole of the English pyramid tries to play like him! Not saying Clemence would’ve done the L2 equivalent, but very harsh not to give him the summer and then half a season.

Similarly, a lot of our fans calling for Gareth Ainsworth as someone who has a great record in lower leagues with Wycombe.

That’s true, but it took him 4 or 5 years to get them promoted when he first went there. After that he went something like stable year, promotion again, relegation, play offs again. Good run that is. But by then he probably had his own squad of players, playing his methods, all knowing exactly what they were doing and with a few tweaks and improvements each season. That was an 11 year tenure.

For reference, Pep almost missed out on Champions League qualification in his first season with City. Eventually finished 3rd, but only three points ahead of 5th placed Arsenal. People at the time said he didn’t suit the PL (mainly because he bought a clown to play in goal, but anyway…) and would fail. But he learnt from that season and now the whole of the English pyramid tries to play like him! Not saying Clemence would’ve done the L2 equivalent, but very harsh not to give him the summer and then half a season.
I like Guardiola - he is a gentleman trainer and does appear to care and protect his players, even if it means telling Haaland, for example, that he is on the bench. There again, he also has the very distinct advantage of working for an immensely rich club who can throw millions into getting a player who, if he doesnt hit the ground running, is either sold on or disappears into one of the lower teams. I'm thinking that every one of the first team players/reserves cost more than our team and stadium would. Whether or not he would flourish in the football league basement is open to discussion

In my opinion he has only had one serious miscalculationduring his time at Man. Shitty, and that was letting Palmer go to Chelsea. He and Bellingham are two of the best English footballers to emerge during the past few years.

I'd still give him a go though inspite of all of the above although I do think wages might be a problem.

Pep can naff off. No way he`d understand the Swindon rivalry....