Ofgem You're Having a Laugh | Vital Football

Ofgem You're Having a Laugh

hulloutpost

Vital Champions League
The much anticipated energy cap benefits have dropped today.....allegedly.

Well, apart from would you believe the network infrastructure apparently costs 18 pence more today than it did yesterday to get the products to my house. But at least I'm saving a penny per unit on gas and tuppence per unit on electricity........so as I run an energy efficient home I'll actually be er about £50 a year worse off :ROFLMAO:

It's not a game changer, but wtf are you doing Ofgem allowing the energy companies to arbitrarily raise the standing charge costs massively to offset the tiny savings on energy supplied. Your staff wouldn't be hoping for a cushy job with the energy supply companies at some point in the future would they :unsure:

In effect the system penalises people who run energy efficient homes and rewards those that don't, whilst protecting the profits of the energy suppliers; which seems just a little counter intuitive in our net zero obsessed world.

No surprise at all and what I fully expected, but we really need an independent consumer group to lobby the next government to sort out the great daily standing charge con.

Last edited:
The standing charge is joke. My energy usage is now so low that some days the SC is more than 50% of my bill

Found this on the Ofgem website.

Sounds like a vague exercise in 'fudging', but at least it's on the radar.

Basically confirms that the SC is a tax to be borne by those that have more energy efficient homes. In effect we already pay a green tax to be more environmentally friendly and then get charged disproportionately more for being greener. Sounds about right :shake:

Privatisation at it's finest, most of the cabinet are either former employees or have interest in the energy firms.
They claim it back on expenses.
Oil and gas prices are lower than before the Ukraine conflict but we're still paying far more.

Privatisation at it's finest, most of the cabinet are either former employees or have interest in the energy firms.
They claim it back on expenses.
Oil and gas prices are lower than before the Ukraine conflict but we're still paying far more.
Yes, I have mixed views on the free market. I'm all in favour of capitalism when it comes to consumerism or commodities. For example I drive a Dacia but if somebody wants to pay for and run a Jaguar that's great, good luck to them.

Theoretically I dislike the privatisation of essential services and utilities. Practically it's too late and would be too expensive to buy out the utility companies, but I reckon we could stop issuing new contracts for the rail companies until it all falls back under state ownership.

However where it is impractical to buy back utilities it is essential that there are genuine, independent watchdogs with teeth - ensuring they are surrounded by a ring of steel keeping out politicians and individuals having any past or future interests in working for the energy companies - disbar them from working for energy firms for x amount of years after leaving post if necessary and make it very much consumer led. I'm not convinced Ofgem remotely fit that brief currently.

Yes, I have mixed views on the free market. I'm all in favour of capitalism when it comes to consumerism or commodities. For example I drive a Dacia but if somebody wants to pay for and run a Jaguar that's great, good luck to them.

Theoretically I dislike the privatisation of essential services and utilities. Practically it's too late and would be too expensive to buy out the utility companies, but I reckon we could stop issuing new contracts for the rail companies until it all falls back under state ownership.

However where it is impractical to buy back utilities it is essential that there are genuine, independent watchdogs with teeth - ensuring they are surrounded by a ring of steel keeping out politicians and individuals having any past or future interests in working for the energy companies - disbar them from working for energy firms for x amount of years after leaving post if necessary and make it very much consumer led. I'm not convinced Ofgem remotely fit that brief currently.
There should be no reason why we should not just take back water. Horrendously mismanaged and asset stripped and basically asking the taxpayer to pay for things they have already paid for through higher bills

Just a little pointer...

The variable charge for gas and electricity is reflective of prices which are attempted to be hedged a few months ahead.

The fixed charge is more reflective of either inflation or investments..

Just a little pointer...

The variable charge for gas and electricity is reflective of prices which are attempted to be hedged a few months ahead.

The fixed charge is more reflective of either inflation or investments..
I don't know how accurate it is but I've also read anecdotally that the SC is also to cover the debt of companies that have gone bust (with those remaining picking up the tab) and consumers that have failed to pay their bills.

If true, we are being shafted to bail out the failings and dereliction of responsibilities of others.

I take on board the point that the energy suppliers (Eon etc.) are running tight margins whereas the energy producers (BP etc.) are the ones making the huge profits. Surely time for the producers to be dragged into the regulation equation more then?