Aphantasia | Page 2 | Vital Football

Aphantasia

I only heard about this recently, I was very surprised it's a thing.

What about music, can you hear it in your head? I don't mean having a song stuck in your head, but being able to replay any song you can think of (well segments of a song anyway, my mind will wander after a few bars, lol)

What about music, can you hear it in your head? I don't mean having a song stuck in your head, but being able to replay any song you can think of (well segments of a song anyway, my mind will wander after a few bars, lol)

Yes that's fine - my inner monologue is not affected. If anything my inner monologue is more acute to over compensate for the lack of conscious vision.

Being able to remember things isn't a problem to me. Infact my inner monologue is too good. I can replay you with detailed, words, dates and order clearly of the stories of my life.

Even news and others stories are very clear in my head. It's a blessing and a curse like most things. Most things have an upside and a downside

Weirdly although I can learn stuff (memory) I don't have much in the way of personal memories. I used to joke that I'd been abused as a child and blocked it all out.

I wake up pretty much every day with a different song (or part of) in my head, and I'm talking songs going back 20-30 years since I could've last consciously heard them.

Not even songs I like, which is really annoying.

Recalling songs on tap though when wanted, only very occasionally - kids like Eurovision, I always play 'what was that ripped from' and it drives me insane when I can't get it. Same as Name that Tune - I could get some within 3, others I couldn't get but knew I knew it (and then when they played the song, I'd never heard it before and I have no idea what I was thinking of lol).

In general I used to have an excellent memory, it's slipped the last few years. Facts I'm still 99% on, but other stuff I think I've spent too long playing 'what if' with my mind so I've fuddled some true memories with those 'what if' outcomes.

Not important stuff, but there's only so many times you can replay the same thing without being bored, so I let myself drift off lol

Last edited:
I did the thread a while back about those without an internal dialogue, it fascinates me how that works for them. Only person I can talk to, who makes any sense, is me.

But not heard of this one. I dream, and get images, but as hard as I might try, I can't visualise things. When I did a set of healing, the lady would be telling me to picture myself in a forest, on a path, etc and so on. I tried, but nothing at all happens. Just tried to picture an apple - same, nothing!

if you want to know about interior monologue, read "ulysses" by james joyce, one of the worlds greatest books, by one of the worlds greatest writers,,,seanie

I did the thread a while back about those without an internal dialogue, it fascinates me how that works for them. Only person I can talk to, who makes any sense, is me.

But not heard of this one. I dream, and get images, but as hard as I might try, I can't visualise things. When I did a set of healing, the lady would be telling me to picture myself in a forest, on a path, etc and so on. I tried, but nothing at all happens. Just tried to picture an apple - same, nothing!

Welcome to the aphantasia club JF - we are a select few. You, Gillette and I so far

When I have a blood pressure test and the reading is a bit high the nurse tells me to think of something calming or enjoyable. My brain comes up with some weird stuff. Most of it doesn’t seem very calming.