Dom Jefferies contract issue | Vital Football

Dom Jefferies contract issue

GillsBluenose

Vital Football Hero
I noticed in the article on KOL this morning that they mention the fact that Dom Jefferies would command a compensation fee if he leaves due to his age, providing we offer him the same or an improved contract.

We don't know why he is considering leaving but it could be that he or his agent has been approached by another club - unofficially, of course;).

Could he find himself in the same position as Robbie McKenzie a couple of seasons ago, where I suspect that there was interest but no club would take the risk of having to pay compo? I think that Josh Chambers may have had the same issue but I may be wrong about that.

If it hadn't been for his injury issues then there might have been some willing to part with some cash for him, but personally I've never really felt he was that exceptional a talent - he gives us energy in midfield which is lacking from others, but is that enough? As with the rest of the squad, not enough g/a contributions. If he leaves then I'm not too worried, but like you I think it possible that no-one will want to pay whatever compensation fee would be required.

Yes, only stood out among our overstuffed and cumbersome midfield this season because he actually ran around.

I'd be happy if he stays but equally he is hardly irreplaceable either.

Has the attributes of mobility & running power absent from our other midfielders.

Certainly an energetic performer but it's often the case that an absent player becomes better in the eyes of coaches & fans when the side is struggling.

If it hadn't been for his injury issues then there might have been some willing to part with some cash for him, but personally I've never really felt he was that exceptional a talent - he gives us energy in midfield which is lacking from others, but is that enough? As with the rest of the squad, not enough g/a contributions. If he leaves then I'm not too worried, but like you I think it possible that no-one will want to pay whatever compensation fee would be required.

Largely agree, however his running does make it easier for others to find space and give end product. A player that can do that as well as provide their own end product would be an upgrade.

Worth noting of course that there is still plenty of time for DJ to improve as a player. He would obviously benefit from other players that make space so that he could actually run into it rather than be the one creating it.

I thought there were signs of the mythical midfield partnership alongside Coleman against Morecambe but not really seen it in any other games which probably tells its own story.

Largely agree, however his running does make it easier for others to find space and give end product. A player that can do that as well as provide their own end product would be an upgrade.

Worth noting of course that there is still plenty of time for DJ to improve as a player. He would obviously benefit from other players that make space so that he could actually run into it rather than be the one creating it.

I thought there were signs of the mythical midfield partnership alongside Coleman against Morecambe but not really seen it in any other games which probably tells its own story.
I know the second most about football on this forum, obviously after nibbles, and if I was running the show, I’d do my very best to get Dom to sign a long term deal with options both ways. I think he’s destined for a higher level.

I have only seen him twice and meh! He seems to be injured a lot and I can't see what he brings to the team. If we can get some dosh for him we should encourage him to go 😁

Joe is right. He looks busy because he runs around a lot but actually in truth produces very very little. I like him but there will be better out there with an end product.

I would like to keep him.So on that basis there could be interest. Definitely good enough in our division. There is a fair chance he dragged out the injury if he is interested in moving. Having come from Brentford the grass will be greener almost for sure.I think some might have forgotten how good he can be .Also we have generally played him in a slow moving side with quicker players he could be more of a asset.

I know the second most about football on this forum, obviously after nibbles, and if I was running the show, I’d do my very best to get Dom to sign a long term deal with options both ways. I think he’s destined for a higher level.
Second most?! Your standing in the prediction league refutes this statement.

I’m afraid I’m only prepared to listen to mouldy (and lancs in the absence of MBC)

Second most?! Your standing in the prediction league refutes this statement.

I’m afraid I’m only prepared to listen to mouldy (and lancs in the absence of MBC)
Oh! That old chestnut 😂
My position is dictated by my irrational optimism, not football knowledge.
Always Gills to win, even tomorrow.

Oh! That old chestnut 😂
My position is dictated by my irrational optimism, not football knowledge.
Always Gills to win, even tomorrow.
But I also predict to win, every week without fail, and im 6th.....

Edit * and I know fuckall about football.

Same could be said for JW, only add in he falls over alot too🤣
Haha. Jonny is absolute Class, he`s been playing out of position for most of the season. We`re lucky to have him and i`m looking forward to seeing him next season. With some higher calibre players around him, allowing him to play more centrally, he`ll become more and more influential. Way to go Jonny !

Haha. Jonny is absolute Class, he`s been playing out of position for most of the season. We`re lucky to have him and i`m looking forward to seeing him next season. With some higher calibre players around him, allowing him to play more centrally, he`ll become more and more influential. Way to go Jonny !

I understand why but boy it frustrates me "he's been playing out of position most of the season" and as a result has been largely ineffective (other than running around and falling over a lot). If he is that good (and by the way I agree with you he should be at this level) then we should be playing him in his best position and find another solution to the wide position.

We should build the team around our best players in their best position. when coaches don't do that it drives me mad.

I could hear the argument that we had to try it to see if it would work, but it didn't and hasn't all season. Jonny must be as frustrated with it as I am. He's had a poor season by his standards and that might be down to being played out of position all season.

Interesting mixed bag of comments
Yes DJ brings energy but with a mixed end product just shows where the midfield has failed really need to play JW in his proper role and build the midfield around him

Could we go through the whole team and say EVERY player would be better if played alongside better/quicker players, and that they are all potentially brilliant. with the only proviso that they can only play in ONE position and it is unreasonable to ask them to adapt?

McKenzie seems to be the only one with the curse of being labelled as a utility player, i.e he can, and is therefore expected to, play in many different positions to a high level. Therefore if the team fails, he is seen as a failure himself. But JW gets off scot free.

I understand why but boy it frustrates me "he's been playing out of position most of the season" and as a result has been largely ineffective (other than running around and falling over a lot). If he is that good (and by the way I agree with you he should be at this level) then we should be playing him in his best position and find another solution to the wide position.

We should build the team around our best players in their best position. when coaches don't do that it drives me mad.

I could hear the argument that we had to try it to see if it would work, but it didn't and hasn't all season. Jonny must be as frustrated with it as I am. He's had a poor season by his standards and that might be down to being played out of position all season.
SC lamented the other day that he`d had to play JW out of position (all season). We know that much, maybe there`s other stuff we don`t know. However, with the recruitment alluded to, JW should be able to play behind the front layer next season. I`m confident he`ll do well and looking forward to watching his excellent footy-smarts at play. .

Just a side note, at some of the recent away games i`ve been to, where the Gills away contingent hasn`t been large and, at the end of games the players have been able to get close to the fans, it`s been more than apparent just how emotionally invested JW is at GFC. Top guy IMHO.

Could we go through the whole team and say EVERY player would be better if played alongside better/quicker players, and that they are all potentially brilliant. with the only proviso that they can only play in ONE position and it is unreasonable to ask them to adapt?

McKenzie seems to be the only one with the curse of being labelled as a utility player, i.e he can, and is therefore expected to, play in many different positions to a high level. Therefore if the team fails, he is seen as a failure himself. But JW gets off scot free.
No, that would be silly. It depends on the quality of the player concerned. Have you not watched Jonny W closely during live games, especially off the ball ?