Youth team results | Vital Football

Youth team results

Cookiejar

Vital Reserves Team
Not sure if our resident youth team expert is still on here but they are usually quote good.

I had high Hope's for this years batch but looks like they have lost every game so far. Any idea what's going on there with Craig Stone now in charge?

Evans has played down the chance of youth development. Getting shot of Oldaker and already making it clear that most if not all the others are not in his plans.Ben White was doing a good job .But if lads see little or no chance of playing 1st football they may well stop dreaming.That is bound to affect results. Lovell wasn't great at development but he wasn't as dismissive as Evans has been.

I still think we would be better off with a smaller squad of top players using youngsters to fill the gaps.Evans has spoken about make weight type signings but he has made some himself.

Regarding the youth team, I've been to watch them a couple of times and the standard seems quite high. What I can't understand is why there is no coverage or mention of the youth team in the local paper, not even the results or league table are published. Yet if you want to know how some Pub's reserve team got on in division five of the Rochester & District league, or where they stand in that division, it's all there for you to see.

Regarding the youth team, I've been to watch them a couple of times and the standard seems quite high. What I can't understand is why there is no coverage or mention of the youth team in the local paper, not even the results or league table are published. Yet if you want to know how some Pub's reserve team got on in division five of the Rochester & District league, or where they stand in that division, it's all there for you to see.
I guess the club don't want the publicity.

Evans has played down the chance of youth development. Getting shot of Oldaker and already making it clear that most if not all the others are not in his plans.Ben White was doing a good job .But if lads see little or no chance of playing 1st football they may well stop dreaming.That is bound to affect results. Lovell wasn't great at development but he wasn't as dismissive as Evans has been.

I don’t think Evans has played that down at all Chris. You’ve made it clear for more than two months that you will blame him for anything you can, but from early on he’s said he doesn’t need to sign a keeper or a centre back because of Walsh and Tucker, and he clearly likes Woods, too. Oldaker wasn’t youth any more either.

Furthermore, the chances are the anyone doing well in the youth team will work under a different manager when they step up to the first team, based on a standard L1 manager lifespan of 18-24 months. So not sure why Evans is really relevant to a question about how the youth team are doing right now? None of us want more young/youth players in the squad, we want proper first-teamers who will improve us. If there was someone in the youth team who would do that, Evans wouldn’t ignore them just because he likes to sign new players.

I don’t think Evans has played that down at all Chris. You’ve made it clear for more than two months that you will blame him for anything you can, but from early on he’s said he doesn’t need to sign a keeper or a centre back because of Walsh and Tucker, and he clearly likes Woods, too. Oldaker wasn’t youth any more either.

Furthermore, the chances are the anyone doing well in the youth team will work under a different manager when they step up to the first team, based on a standard L1 manager lifespan of 18-24 months. So not sure why Evans is really relevant to a question about how the youth team are doing right now? None of us want more young/youth players in the squad, we want proper first-teamers who will improve us. If there was someone in the youth team who would do that, Evans wouldn’t ignore them just because he likes to sign new players.
Don’t agree - if a youngster is good enough of course we want to see him bought through and given a chance or else there would be no Bradley Dacks !!

No Oldaker wasn't a youth anymore. But how many former youth players are considered first team squad players?Tucker is deemed not ready.
It has to be a depressing thought for any youngster at Gills that even if you have talent it is unlikely you will ever play.As I said Lovell was very little better. But at least they did get the odd chance.And were involved. It seems the youths and former youths have not got much chance now.Given Tucker is fifth choice. Walsh is only match day cover as a new keeper will almost certainly come in if and when required.

Last edited:
I did make the point if someone is good enough, then they’d get a go - we will all have our opinions but we’re not professional coaches or managers. If someone is that stand-out, we have to accept Evans is the man to make that call. My point about none of us wanting to see more youth is based on the present - no wins after five games, we need results and signing proven players will be favourable over gambling on youth. I’m all for bringing young players through. If we didn’t, we’d be significantly worse off, but right now, we already have three graduates in our matchday squads, is that not enough?

No Oldaker wasn't a youth anymore. But how many former youth players are considered first team squad players?Tucker is deemed not ready.

If Tucker was needed, he’d play him. But he’s not needed at the minute. We have other options for centre back, with Jones playing in midfield. We had two other graduates on the bench today. If Evans didn’t rate them or trust them, he wouldn’t have named them as subs, like when we named six last week. I am not an Evans fan at all, but to accuse him at this early stage of ignoring youth is ridiculous.

Nathan the only reason they are there is because Evans has f... everyone else off. He’s now resorting to playing jones in midfield as some of his midfield signings have been poor to date. When he fills up the team with other signings then have a look if they will be on the bench

Nathan the only reason they are there is because Evans has f... everyone else off. He’s now resorting to playing jones in midfield as some of his midfield signings have been poor to date. When he fills up the team with other signings then have a look if they will be on the bench
Interesting to see Cisse was an unused sub.
Evans seems to have gone off him rather quickly.

Thinking back the last 25 years while under the Scally era, the youth players who can be said to have made it through the youths into our first team are:

Dack
Hessenthaler Jr
Rooney
Payne
Crofts
Edge

Edit:
Spiller
rose
Jarvis

Did I miss anyone? We always love the sentiment of one of our coming through the ranks but the number of players who actually make it through is statistically low no matter how often people involved with the youths claim the current set up is one of the most talented batches ever.

So that is 9 players in almost 25 years or one every 2-3 seasons? Considering the number of youths who pass through our system then unless you are breaking through aged 18-19 years old then you probably won't make it.

Last edited:
Thinking back the last 25 years while under the Scally era, the youth players who can be said to have made it through the youths into our first team are:

Dack
Hessenthaler Jr
Rooney
Payne
Crofts
Edge

Did I miss anyone? We always love the sentiment of one of our coming through the ranks but the number of players who actually make it through is statistically low no matter how often people involved with the youths claim the current set up is one of the most talented batches ever.

Spiller
Jarvis
Rose

Remember we had Freeman and Bertrand who probably would of played if they hadn't left young and you could argue Jason Brown was a youth team player after leaving Charlton

Remember we had Freeman and Bertrand who probably would of played if they hadn't left young and you could argue Jason Brown was a youth team player after leaving Charlton

Although on our books, I'd argue Freeman and Bertrand are ultimately products of Arsenal and Chelsea. Brown had already left Charlton's youth system by the time he joined us.