Youth - U23 - Loans Thread | Page 38 | Vital Football

Youth - U23 - Loans Thread

I think as we get older, all the ”eras” tend to blend together. When I’m 80 Jack Grealish will probably be in my European Cup winning squad :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

It is daft and the last 5 years I've noticed it more myself but I remember I used to be able to remember this sort of stuff like rote and I'd trot it out in an article without ever second guessing myself or checking...but now I can no longer remember it like rote, I only remember I used to remember how to.

:slap:

What a great night......thoroughly enjoyed being back up there. Crikey we have some real talent in that group. Some great performances all over the park but a quick shout out for Brad Young....our very own Jamie Vardy! His running in behind was top notch especially first half. A very well deserved victory. The club really is in such a good place at present.

Good to see our youth team with real prospects and winning the cup a huge bonus.
Last youth cup win I went to was the team that featured mark walters. We won it over two legs.

I mentioned Brad Young a few weeks ago as he doesn't seem to get the credit the other more flash names get.
The lad if you remember was stabbed last year in a park in Solihull he's come back to be the top scorer with the under18's. Takes some mental strength. He's another one who is local and actually supports Villa, not just plays for them

Last edited:
I mentioned Bard Young a few weeks ago as he doesn't seem to get the credit the other more flash names get.
The lad if you remember was stabbed last year in a park in Solihull he's come back to be the top scorer with the under18's. Takes some mental strength. He's another one who is local and actually supports Villa, not just plays for them

Rough place Solihull , he should come and live in Shirley.

Looks to have a terrific attitude though. I would say he certainly has a future at a good level , how high I wouldn't like to guess.

Rough place Solihull , he should come and live in Shirley.

Looks to have a terrific attitude though. I would say he certainly has a future at a good level , how high I wouldn't like to guess.

To be honest, he did everything Ollie Watkins does, He ran them ragged.
Sadly we can't keep them all as the next bunch of u18's are coming along in August. A few of the current u18's are ok to play in that too but they'll want to be playing u23 and first-team next season, not youth the likes of Chuka and any other 17-year-olds who are not 18 until after August

And yes, just to clarify the last FA Youth Cup we won was the Rooney final. He was the big story but the Moores outshone him on the night.

4 months after that final a 16 year old Rooney scored his first Premier League goal against arsenal and went on to make 33 appearances for Everton that season.

So those saying these lot are all too young for a chance wind your necks in.... If they're good enough.......

Honestly no idea myself on that one. But that was very early days for us really, so I don't think either of us even covered the reserves, let alone U18's back then??? I do remember you doing some youth/reserve games though - when we did start covering I'm sure you did a few reports from some semi's at least??

This crop definitely seem better than I remember that crop though.

Used to go to a hell of a lot of reserves (remember them!) and youth games back then, but then they started chopping and changing venues a lot, so I quit (health and time as well really)

I probably did the odd thing but as I used to do quite detailed match reports for the main team back then, doubt there was anything major!

There are always exceptions to the rules though and Rooney was like a full blown man by that age, he looked so out of place on the pitch with the 'kids'. Others need to develop, muscle up, a bit more.

Agreed. Careney is similar though. For a 17 year old he looks head and shoulders above most 19 year olds both in terms of ability and physicality.

Agreed. Careney is similar though. For a 17 year old he looks head and shoulders above most 19 year olds both in terms of ability and physicality.

Not to the Rooney level, but yes, he looks like he's getting closer and closer. He still needs easing in, more sub appearances and slowly he'll get there. Not sure any of them will be regular until they are in 19/20 but as you say, if they prove to be good enough when they get their chances ....

Looks like a criticism if I say in a few one v one he was not exactly bouncing the Liverpool players off him yesterday, it isn't, it is just how I view his physicality. Not that all players have to be brutes.

It is one area I always have faith in the coaches on, when to introduce these players, not sure why really, just feel they know their ability, physicality, but also their maturity which is also key I would imagine.