Youth - U23 - Loans Thread | Page 41 | Vital Football

Youth - U23 - Loans Thread

Apparently he's got a shocker of an attitude.
That's it isn't it Billy Big Bollocks, then they get a kick in them when they don't make it in the PL and just give up. Some bounce back Platty being one but the vast majority end up pub leagues or not playing at all

To be fair, looking at that NextGen squad I don't remember getting excited about any of them except Grealish at the time. Even though they'd lifted the trophy there wasn't big things expected from any of the others.

I think this current crop is different. Individually we have several players who seem to have the right talent, attitude and physique to make it.

I read somewhere yesterday that Ben Chrisene is the one all the youth players rate, the lad we paid £1m? for last year from Exeter. Scored the opener in the youth cup final but along with Aaron Ramsey has been injured recently hence neither playing the whole 90.
Ben doesn't seem to get a mention either with the clamour for Chukwumeka

Was he wearing number 7? Stand out player for me.

I suppose the only possible difference is that we are buying youth players for actual money this time round. I'd be surprised to see Barry playing for Shamrock Rovers in four or five years time. Doesn't mean he'll be a star, but I think we and other clubs are being more intelligent in sourcing and preparing them now.
Barry reminds me of Albrighton, he's even playing on the wing now as he's not big enough for a CF.
Nothing would surprise me but I'll have a bet with anyone that most of those kids who won the youth cup will never make the Villa side

That's it isn't it Billy Big Bollocks, then they get a kick in them when they don't make it in the PL and just give up. Some bounce back Platty being one but the vast majority end up pub leagues or not playing at all
Yes,Villan,happened to a relative. Usual story inasmuch as he was outstanding at primary level. Could dribble through a defence and score,almost at will. Let go by the Villa at 17 and he was heartbroken. Offered chances at two other pro clubs but he said no.Tried semi pro for a few games and loo6 the part but he just drifted out of the game. Fair play to him,he studied hard and now has a Professional role with a major UK company. Great to see the Villa boys win but the level of physical strength and mental toughness required to make the grade,particularly at premier league level is exceptional.

To be fair, looking at that NextGen squad I don't remember getting excited about any of them except Grealish at the time. Even though they'd lifted the trophy there wasn't big things expected from any of the others.

I think this current crop is different. Individually we have several players who seem to have the right talent, attitude and physique to make it.

I think they were a well drilled team that had an Obvious star in Grealish that could win games for them. I think the next most successful player from that group would be Callum Robinson, then your looking at people like Daniel Johnson and Gary Gardner.

I think we were getting our approach wrong for years to be honest. We were trying to build strong teams rather than develop individual players. Its why we ended up hording players in the under 23s till they were 21/22 and hadn't played first team football even on loan. Callum O'Hare is the same age as Douglas Luiz but never played more than a few minutes till his loan spell at Carlisle age 20. At that age Luiz had already played nearly 100 games in Brazil and waa playing first team football in La Liga.

Its why I'm happy to see players like Chukwuemeka, Phillange-Bidace get game time now. The lads from the cup winning team need first team time against men not messing about in the under 23s. Whether its coming on from our bench or on loan.

For sure, I had a look at the whereabouts of our youth team that won the Champions league just now. Only Grealish and Callum Robinson have done anything of note. A Lot of them don't even seem to be kicking a ball now.

A bit depressing to read, but if anyone is interested:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bi...ston-villa-news-grealish-chelsea-11582956.amp

I remember Samir Carruthers from that list. Sure he made his debut in the last 15 minutes at Anfield. From memory he megged Stevie G and loads of our fans were calling for Lambert to start him after that. He may well have been in trouble for pissing off a balcony at Cheltenham races onto the punters below a few years ago.

I remember Samir Carruthers from that list. Sure he made his debut in the last 15 minutes at Anfield. From memory he megged Stevie G and loads of our fans were calling for Lambert to start him after that. He may well have been in trouble for pissing off a balcony at Cheltenham races onto the punters below a few years ago.

I remember him coming on at Old Trafford and really impressing. He was willing and able to take players on and looked very lively. Everyone thought he'd be involved more after such an impressive cameo so naturally he was never seen near a squad after that.

I remember him coming on at Old Trafford and really impressing. He was willing and able to take players on and looked very lively. Everyone thought he'd be involved more after such an impressive cameo so naturally he was never seen near a squad after that.

Yes, but just proves how some kids who might look like they are ready for the 1st team dont actually have what it takes to progress any further. I just googled Carruthers, he was released from Cambridge last summer and is now at Hemel Hempstead Town!

Yes, but just proves how some kids who might look like they are ready for the 1st team dont actually have what it takes to progress any further. I just googled Carruthers, he was released from Cambridge last summer and is now at Hemel Hempstead Town!
The differences are marginal for players to make it or not, probably comes down to mentality. Remember what Conor said about our youth - more interested in PlayStation than extra practice. The talent was there but not the application.

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2021/june/Retained-and-released-list/

List of academy lads retained and released.

Mungo Bridge, Hayden Lindley, Filip Marschall, Akos Onodi, Arjan Raikhy, DJ Sturridge, Mamadou Sylla, Tyreik Wright and Brad Young all retained.

Lewis Brunt, Brad Burton, Jack Clarke, Charlie Farr, Ben Guy, Callum Rowe, Harrison Sohna, Michael Tait and Jake Walker all released.

All other academy players are still under contract for next season.

You have to feel sorry for those young lads whose hopes have been destroyed.

It must be gutting. Hopefully they can go on and have a decent career in the game at some level. And a few of them will aways have that game against Liverpool to remember.

Surprised Rowe is on the released list after his Liverpool showing.
He's 22 in September and nowhere near the first team, just such a shame we've hung onto him this long built up his hopes. This won't be happening from now on they'll be gone before that age if they aren't at least on the bench.
Less cruel in the long term, poor lad now has to find a new club and he's basically no first team experience. Any club taking him on needs him to hit the ground running at that age