Your Views on Taking the Knee | Page 8 | Vital Football

Your Views on Taking the Knee

It is not up to white people to decide what constitutes an acceptable form of anti-racism for black players to follow. If the overwhelming majority of black players - if not all of them - see taking the knee as the best course of action, it is clearly for good reason and that should be respected.
Like others before you - you appear to jump to the conclusion that I am a "white person" which I'm not.
As such I don't respect at all that they are doing it as the majority at this point will be doing it as it's "expected".
If you feel they should be "respected" for this view should not the supporters who choose to boo them for support of a left wing movement wishing to defund the police also have their view respected or is it a 1 way street ?.
Be interested on your opinion of the additional and actually racist "black power" salutes now also taking hold.
IMO the current situation is causing more racial intolerance than was there before it started.
Kick it Out was/is a more suitable vehicle for football.
Not had a response from anyone yet on a previous question as to the last time racist behaviour was witnessed at a Latics game ?

Hillsborough, just after DW was charged. There was a chant getting sung get regularly at that game.

As you say Hampton there is freedom of expression and freedom of speech in this country. For the time being at least. If footballers wish to take the knee then that is their right. If supporters wish to boo then that is their right. Unfortunately I think there is a lack of understanding on both sides as to why they are kneeling and why they are getting booed for it. Sadly views seem pretty entrenched, with no side willing to listen to the other and it’s making matters worse. I understand the FA are investigating- which is a good thing I think if they do so objectively as it should help in creating understanding and ultimately resolve what is likely to be a stand off.

Like others before you - you appear to jump to the conclusion that I am a "white person" which I'm not.
As such I don't respect at all that they are doing it as the majority at this point will be doing it as it's "expected".
If you feel they should be "respected" for this view should not the supporters who choose to boo them for support of a left wing movement wishing to defund the police also have their view respected or is it a 1 way street ?.
Be interested on your opinion of the additional and actually racist "black power" salutes now also taking hold.
IMO the current situation is causing more racial intolerance than was there before it started.
Kick it Out was/is a more suitable vehicle for football.
Not had a response from anyone yet on a previous question as to the last time racist behaviour was witnessed at a Latics game ?

If I'm honest, since moving down south nearly 5 years ago I haven't been to enough Latics games to comment on the last time I witnessed or heard racist behaviour - prior to moving though, it was something I saw & heard on a regular basis.
As previously mentioned & as explained by numerous players & football clubs the current taking the knee is not to show any support for the BLM organisation.
As for defunding the police - its a far more complex proposition than it's title suggests. What do you understand by it?

BLM UK have applied for political party status, so Yes, they are...

Poppies are not in the slightest bit political, they are simply a symbol of remembrance to all people who lost their lives during WW1 & WW2.

The fact I even need to explain that to you really does beggar belief... :shake:
Funnily enough BLM is a decentralised body and as such anyone can put BLM as their party title if they desire. But as a movement BLM aren't a political party.

So when James McClean got pelters for not wearing a poppy what was that?

You didn't need to explain, but thanks for subjecting me to it.

Funnily enough BLM is a decentralised body and as such anyone can put BLM as their party title if they desire. But as a movement BLM aren't a political party.

Absolute rubbish - If James McClean got pelters from Wigan fans or a lack of support from the club itself I hardly think he would be minded together with his wife to donate a substantial amount to the SC fund do you ?

If they're not political, why do they want to defund the Police...???
And before you start bellyaching that they don't ...Check their Manifesto 😉

McClean didn't get pelters for not wearing a Poppy, he got pelters for turning his back during the Last Post & 2 minute silence.
At the end of the day, it's his choice, but having said that, he must also remember where he's earning his coin.
if he hated the UK that much, he wouldn't be playing here... 👍

You really do have much to learn... :shake:

If I'm honest, since moving down south nearly 5 years ago I haven't been to enough Latics games to comment on the last time I witnessed or heard racist behaviour - prior to moving though, it was something I saw & heard on a regular basis.
As previously mentioned & as explained by numerous players & football clubs the current taking the knee is not to show any support for the BLM organisation.
As for defunding the police - its a far more complex proposition than it's title suggests. What do you understand by it?
No disrespect mate but you must have been to different games than me.
The only song I recall after Whelan was charged was "he'll say what he wants" is that what you are referring to ?
I well recall songs around being a "town full of xxxx" dependent on who we were playing but not since we left Springfield at the latest and certainly not in the period you are suggesting (and I sit in the East Stand)
Defunding the Police is a wide spectrum from complete disbandment or anarchy by any other name or significant reduction in funding which would be crazy given the scenes on our streets and that the gvt has been doing a good enough job of doing it themselves in the last decade.
And the black power salutes ?

Not sure what the slap is for - care to share ?

Because the original aim has (as is the modern idiom) been hi-jacked by the "3 word slogan" syndrome.

It's about reform, budget realignment and prioritisation.

In the attached article, Obama explains it far better than I ever could.

Who is the black power salute aimed at ?...

Isn't it simply to urge black people not to be treated as if they are inferior. At least, from the Munich Olympics, that's what I've always understood by it. Power to themselves ........ not over others.

Because the original aim has (as is the modern idiom) been hi-jacked by the "3 word slogan" syndrome.

It's about reform, budget realignment and prioritisation.

In the attached article, Obama explains it far better than I ever could.
So what it has morphed into, what the majority of BLM supporters understand to be, is a reduction in Police numbers.
(For someone who rails against gvt cuts it's a bit of a cake and eat it stance you're taking here)
As for Obama, the bloke who put the UK
"at the back of the queue - not interested in owt he's got to say !

Isn't it simply to urge black people not to be treated as if they are inferior. At least, from the Munich Olympics, that's what I've always understood by it. Power to themselves ........ not over others.

If I go do a slap thing on a reply I would and call it quits.
Black Panthers, Malcolm X and all that - it's about division pure and simple, not integration or racial harmony, far from it.
Also you've your Olympics mixed up - Mexico 68 😉

The whole clenched fist thing was started by The Original BLM - The Black Panthers.
It came to worldwide prominence in the 1968 Olympics in Mexico City.
It was, I believe, in response to the murder of Martin Luther King.
Although, prior to his death, Luther King went on record to distance himself from the group.