Your Views on Taking the Knee | Page 35 | Vital Football

Your Views on Taking the Knee

Any racism is wrong ... no matter who's the target.

However, two things can be right at the same time
- condemning the racist abuse levelled at the Home Sec, and
- condemning the Home Sec for her hypocrisy re her comments re "gesture politics" and her refusal to acknowledge that they stoked division, as mentioned by Mings.

Also, let's not forget that The Spectator is predominantly an opinion based publication. I fins it quite ironic that Brendan O'Neill feels qualified to tell us all what TTK does or doesn't mean ... especially after the words and actions of the England team and Manager in the last few weeks.

Racist abuse of the Home Sec is absolutely out of order. However, the suggestion by O'Neill that Mings wasn't entitled to respond as he did to Patel's tweet is equally out of order.

I do however think he's right ......... Mings' comments probably did (unwittingly) stoke division a little, ....... but he didn't start it.

In essence I agree with your post. The reasoning behind ttk differs from person to person. It’s why it’s not a unifying gesture. Undoubtedly they (footballers) started doing it in support of blm, because they said so at the time. Whilst they say it’s now an anti racism gesture many still associate it with the former and all that organisation stands for. Seems like there is a stalemate.

As I’ve said we live in a free country so folk can kneel if they like and folk can boo in return. PP can offer her view on the matter and people can counter it if they wish. It’s how this society works. I still maintain saying she was pretending to be offended by people receiving racist abuse when she herself gets plenty is somewhat of an insensitive opinion.

As I’ve said we live in a free country so folk can kneel if they like and folk can boo in return..

Fully agree. If only the PM would stand by his words, given that he obviously thinks the same, based on the comment given by "his spokesman".

He's simply a bare-face liar. I'm not even sure he knows he's doing it.

It’s the media that seem keen to stoke division and create the divide as it’s all they go on about. I’m not sure of the purpose of today’s press conference but I assume it was to try and enhance his unworkable Green agenda. Yet instead of challenging him on electricity charging points, the cost etc they go on about racism again. It’s just gotcha politics and they are just as part of the problem as these dickheads posting crap on Twitter.

He realistically can’t say it’s more complicated than in Beth Rigbys tiny mind as it’ll probably create even more hysteria. As you say perhaps he should stand by his words. I’m not entirely sure what he said on booing, but when I read that Guardian article you posted when I previously said that it says he (or his spokesman said) he respected the right to kneel and the right to peacefully protest against it but he wanted everyone to get behind the team and was focusing on action to eradicate racism. There is a difference between saying people have a right to boo and saying it’s right to boo. And not a subtle one either. The country has made good strides over the years in addressing this issue and there are many more to go. The UK is one of the most accommodating places in the world. Yet listening to the media it’s never acknowledged as I don’t think it fits their agenda and this instead causes people distress.