Your thoughts on teachers that "shout" at pupils? | Vital Football

Your thoughts on teachers that "shout" at pupils?

G

I am TOTALLY against it and I cannot see anything constructive from it other than the teacher relieving inner frustrations..However im interested in others thoughts on teachers(or parents come to than matter) using raised voices to correct children..

This is the thoughts from a report in 2010 by Dr Andrew Curran a paediatric neurologist at Alder Hey Children's Hospital, Merseyside.

“Teachers that repeatedly shout at kids are clearly failing,” he said. “They are showing a complete misunderstanding of the human brain.
“The fact is that the more fear children experience, the less likely they are to retain what they are being taught.”

Link to the original report found here;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/7866669/Aggressive-teachers-harm-pupils-education.html

:160:

More reports which overthink a situation. Teachers are humans. If a kid is being a little shit you can lose your rag and raise your voice. It happens.

Exactly! Randy is right. Also if you got a crowd of youngsters whose voices are loud then the only way s teacher can make them hear is to shout above them.

There has to be a balance. Believe me when my eldest 3 who were born in 85/87/89 used to fight there was no point me going in the room and saying 'stop that please darlings' cos the little darlings wouldn't have heard me.

There has to be a level of common sense and adults being human here too, as Randy said

I dont really mean raised voices to be heard in a crowd Kat....

I suppose I should have been more clear in my article. I dont really mean a teacher walking into a noisy classroom and shouting "settle down now everyone" and "lets all calm down"..

My point is more on the lines of shouting in a more direct manner at a particular child that maybe has misbehaved. I think this can be harmful to a child and unprofessional conduct from a teacher. And if happens on a frequent basis then it should be considered mental abuse towards a child.

If you lose your patience with your students and start shouting at them, you have lost that class. You may as well play games with them for the duration of the lesson.

Shouting can be effective in stopping a student who has forgotten where he is from ruining the class but you shout way before losing your temper.

Kids aren't the savage beasts that most people seem to think they are. They can be communicated with as long as you are open and clear about what you expect.

There is one exception. If you go into a class that has been lost by the previous teacher you may need to go in hard and start shouting and disciplining the kids but again it's a tool rather than just shouting at the kids because you are pissed off.

Could you imagine being in a room full of adults and some guy comes in shouting and telling you you are all shitheads? Kids will react in the same way.

Good posts there BB...

Other points to consider is that during the ages of 13 - 19 the child is an adolescent going through the sensitive time of changing from childhood into adulthood. The body will be changing biologically and it is perfectly normal for this age to "test" authority and push boundaries. Yet the teacher should always remain calm offering guidance, reassurance and a positive mannerism towards the student.

Obviously during a child earlier years shouting can cause many inner problems like a lacking in self confidence, which isnt something an adult should be driving out of a child.

BodyButter - 27/11/2013 04:53

If you lose your patience with your students and start shouting at them, you have lost that class. You may as well play games with them for the duration of the lesson.

Shouting can be effective in stopping a student who has forgotten where he is from ruining the class but you shout way before losing your temper.

Kids aren't the savage beasts that most people seem to think they are. They can be communicated with as long as you are open and clear about what you expect.

:106:

Kids need shocking sometimes, especially if what they are doing is potentialy dangerous, shouting is a better method than hitting, and definately going to have more of an impact than just talking IMO.

if you've got a kid about squirt a pippette of hydrochloric acid at another kid (something I actually did at school, hence the example), then shouting at the top of your voice for them not to, will probably have a more instant shocking effect and stop them instantly, then trying to do it in a normal voice.

Each human being is different, take footballers: some people react better to a chat and an arm around the shoulder - others react better to a fergie style 'hair dryer' bollocking.

Teacher at hat used to shout at me just made me more aggressive, I'd shout louder and twice as long.

Just belt the little fuckers and get on with it!!

:1:

I would have hated to have had to teach me at school , the more teachers shouted at me the worse I got.

And thats the point everyone is different some kids need a kick up the backside and some need an arm around their shoulders its just a shame the classes are too big for that to happen effectively.

Kids are enveloped in Cotton Wool far too much these days. They're meant to get upset, scared, angry, irritable, exhilarated etc, etc. It's all part o life, and they need to experience it fully.

It's the new nanny state heathfield,mcant go upsetting anyone now.

I used to like knowing where the line was, I would overstep it, take my punishment and on we would go. But i would be uncontrollable in this namby pamby world. You have to have deterrents. They know now they can get away with it and have made teachers jobs much harder,

Not that some of the teachers weren't nothing short of cowardly,frustrated bullies, but that was only some.

I guess kids need a bit of The Fear in them... I mean.... The Fear is really into kids.... I mean..... shouting at kids really gets The Fear...... eh..... oh fuck it..... not the kids.... no..... I meant this sentence. Bugger.

They are lucky these days , we used to get a smack round the head for getting a maths answer wrong. Sometimes it was a board duster hurled at you .
I got the best maths results ever in 3rd form because I lived in fear of a Chewy Davis swatting me round the head.
I hated that man but respected him as a maths teacher , he was bloody good .

Bottom line , it did me no harm