your other team(s) behind the gills | Page 3 | Vital Football

your other team(s) behind the gills

If you want to witness attacking football this coming season you should take a gander to the holiday resort on your doorstep, with a new head coach I am expecting to see (well hopefully subject to the virus) some entertaining stuff.

Yes, I have a lot of time for Blackpool FC, fine tradition and, like PNE (sorry !) they play attacking football. But, Rovers have some good players and, tbh, part of my reasoning is that I get free admission there !

Gills only for me, being Medway born and bred and still living in Kent, albeit the other side of Kent. I have no family links elsewhere so no need for me to support anyone else, other than England, of course. I do always follow most of the local Kent team results, especially Chatham and some of the teams near where I live now in Folkestone Invicta and Hythe Town - been to a few games there.

Gills only for me, being Medway born and bred and still living in Kent, albeit the other side of Kent. I have no family links elsewhere so no need for me to support anyone else, other than England, of course. I do always follow most of the local Kent team results, especially Chatham and some of the teams near where I live now in Folkestone Invicta and Hythe Town - been to a few games there.
Have you seen Oldaker since he left Gills?
Is there any chance he might return to league football?

Can a fan of a lower league team be a glory hunter? Maybe a subject for a different thread.
Good question. I Was constantly called a glory hunter for supporting Gillingham whilst living in whitstable about 15 years ago.

The guy in question was a contract cleaner at our company and a staunch whitstable town fan. He was a good laugh actually and when it was mentioned that I had a season ticket at Priestfield (and had done many years previous) he mercilessly took the piss. Even my protestations of being born at all saints and living off Luton road til the age of 12, therefore within walking distance of the ground didn’t stop him.

Pompey are my second/good team. Most of my extended family support them but by Dad broke the mold with the Gills because of subbuteo no less.

Strange situation when your good team is the same league or below like it has been!

Any time I'm in the UK I'll go to watch Lordswood if Gills are away. In fact, on the odd occasion I even went to watch them despite Gills being at home, back when my dad was alive (he used to be involved with running the club).

Used to go and watch Guingamp regularly years ago when I lived in France, still look out for their results now.

Used to "support" Everton too back in the 80s before my dad got me hooked on the Gills, did get to the odd match now and then though.

Any time I'm in the UK I'll go to watch Lordswood if Gills are away. In fact, on the odd occasion I even went to watch them despite Gills being at home, back when my dad was alive (he used to be involved with running the club).

Used to go and watch Guingamp regularly years ago when I lived in France, still look out for their results now.

Used to "support" Everton too back in the 80s before my dad got me hooked on the Gills, did get to the odd match now and then though.
Never been to the Bernabéu given your location?

Never been to the Bernabéu given your location?

I've been there 2 or 3 times, purely to be able to say I've been there. Have to say though that as a club, I really can't stand them!

My nearest 1st division team is Getafe in any case, I'm also closer to Leganes who've just been relegated from the 1st division, and Alcorcon, Rayo Vallecano and Fuenlabrada in the 2nd division, than I am to the Bernabeu or to the Wanda Metropolitana (Atletico Madrid), never been to see any of them though (I do mean to do so one day, never seem to get round to it though).

Good question. I Was constantly called a glory hunter for supporting Gillingham whilst living in whitstable about 15 years ago.

The guy in question was a contract cleaner at our company and a staunch whitstable town fan. He was a good laugh actually and when it was mentioned that I had a season ticket at Priestfield (and had done many years previous) he mercilessly took the piss. Even my protestations of being born at all saints and living off Luton road til the age of 12, therefore within walking distance of the ground didn’t stop him.

I don’t think you can be a gloryhunter supporting a lower league team, but I do know quite a few people who are Medway/Kent born and bred and support Millwall or West Ham with no family links to south east or east London. I’ve always found that strange - especially supporting millwall - who for most of the lives of these guys have either been in our division or just above us, so not sure why they wouldn’t go and support their local team rather than trek 30 miles or more to watch someone in the same division or division above? West Ham are obviously generally in the top flight but I if I were to not support my local club and support a London team, I’d go the whole hog and support a good one. The only reason I can think of is that most of those from Medway I know who support west ham or millwall are white van man types, so maybe support them for their wide boy reputation? For example, most of them refer to West Ham as West ‘am or the ‘ammers, even though they don’t speak like that normally.

I don’t think you can be a gloryhunter supporting a lower league team, but I do know quite a few people who are Medway/Kent born and bred and support Millwall or West Ham with no family links to south east or east London. I’ve always found that strange - especially supporting millwall - who for most of the lives of these guys have either been in our division or just above us, so not sure why they wouldn’t go and support their local team rather than trek 30 miles or more to watch someone in the same division or division above? West Ham are obviously generally in the top flight but I if I were to not support my local club and support a London team, I’d go the whole hog and support a good one. The only reason I can think of is that most of those from Medway I know who support west ham or millwall are white van man types, so maybe support them for their wide boy reputation? For example, most of them refer to West Ham as West ‘am or the ‘ammers, even though they don’t speak like that normally.
Yep plenty of glory hunting hammers and spurs fans. Its strange because as you say, they clearly pick the teams because they are in the prem and regularly scoff at lower league clubs, but pretend to themselves that they have morals and are not complete glory hunters simply because they chose west ham and not chelski/arsenal.

Its like they are glory hunters, but not very good at it.

I do think the very definition of a glory hunter is someone who supports someone because they are better, or win more often. If you support a club while they progress through the leagues then stop as soon as they plateau or get relegated, then you are surely a glory hunter? It doesnt matter that they didnt make it to the top leagues.

i think your example can also be extended, if youre a glory hunter and support afc fylde as they do well, why dont you just go the whole hog and support man city etc. Oddly enough, i think many of the lower league glory hunters would turn their nose up at man city glory hunters. When really they are not too much different. Hypocritical really. Imo.

Similar to the glory hunter tag, I always find it amusing when people who can't get to The Gills very often are called "plastics" as if we are such an attractive club to want to be associated with.
"He lives in Maidstone but supports the Gills and only goes three times a year, bloody plastic"

Similar to the glory hunter tag, I always find it amusing when people who can't get to The Gills very often are called "plastics" as if we are such an attractive club to want to be associated with.
"He lives in Maidstone but supports the Gills and only goes three times a year, bloody plastic"

But there are many types of plastics. Some are higher density than others.

No way would I call you, or anyone else, a plastic btw. In any event, the term plastic is now superseded by cardboard - we`ve already seen loads of photos of "cardboards" at Championship and Premiership grounds` - there for the sake of vanity, but no sign of them in person :rolleyes:

As getting about was so hard in the black and era always watched the local team to where we lived . So in order ( guess dads occupation).
Gills
Deal Town
Portsmouth
Argyle ( the mariner and rafferty era)
Gills
Sheppy United
Gills

Last edited: