your other team(s) behind the gills | Vital Football

your other team(s) behind the gills

wxgill

Vital 1st Team Regular
For me it's always been Arsenal / Dover.

I worked at Arsenal as a steward for 12 years. We were well paid there. Double money for Sunday / BH / Sky games. We got a yearly pay slip and Arsenal paid out tax / ni for us.

I also look out for Dover as i lived there as a kid and now.

Chatham Town (Best mate of 25 years is the manager)
Leeds United (Dad born in Yorkshire)
Frickley Athletic (As above)
Forest Green Rovers (Enjoyed watching them play)

I will have to turn this post around and as a Blackpool supporter I look out for Gillingham mainly because my very best departed pal was a Gillingham supporter all his life.
We would meet up often and phone several times a week and always when the matches had finished I would get a full report on the match.
He was very special to me, when our youngest daughter was very ill he was always there offering support, unlike some of my other friends who found it difficult to communicate, he really did keep me going when things got tough.
The other reason is that you are my local club and I believe from other friends of mine when you live away from the club you support you tend to take an active interest in the club closest to you.

Always a Liverpool fan growing up and still keep more than a passing interest.

Lived in Peterborough for 7 years from 88 to 95 so always look out for their results

And for some inexplicable reason, Forfar Athletic. No idea but always check for their results too

I will have to turn this post around and as a Blackpool supporter I look out for Gillingham mainly because my very best departed pal was a Gillingham supporter all his life.
We would meet up often and phone several times a week and always when the matches had finished I would get a full report on the match.
He was very special to me, when our youngest daughter was very ill he was always there offering support, unlike some of my other friends who found it difficult to communicate, he really did keep me going when things got tough.
The other reason is that you are my local club and I believe from other friends of mine when you live away from the club you support you tend to take an active interest in the club closest to you.
I would normally agree with that last bit but...........Southend??????. 😳

For me it's Hertha Berlin and (sorry) Liverpool.
I have no link with the scousers but just always enjoyed their football.

Lived in Peterborough for 7 years from 88 to 95 so always look out for their results

And for some inexplicable reason, Forfar Athletic. No idea but always check for their results too
Forfar 5 East Fife 4????

Chatham Town (Best mate of 25 years is the manager)
Leeds United (Dad born in Yorkshire)
Frickley Athletic (As above)
Forest Green Rovers (Enjoyed watching them play)

Does anyone else remember when it was between football seasons in England, the Sunday papers had the Australian results for the football pools! No idea why, but I used to follow Para Hills!

FC Thun Swiss super league on a great home run at moment that should keep them up.2 games left one win will guarantee they stay up.
I have a fondness for Chatham and especially enjoy visiting certain other clubs including both league and non league.

Coventry City.
Brother went to Uni there in '68 so they were my "top division" side (although seemingly perennial narrow escapers from relegation). Followed my brother there to Uni in '76 so watched them when not going home/away to Gills matches.

I had the "pleasure" of seeing them lose 4 0 to WBA when playing in the infamous chocolate brown kit.

Still look out for their scores. Glad they went up. Club and city have been in a mess for years. Went there for our 4 1 defeat and the place was a dump. Slumped since the lucrative car industry went.

Ps, wxgill. Off the pace again. This thread is really easy to reply to and about football. What's happened to you?

Used to go to Arsenal a lot in the late 80,s and early 90,s before all seater stadiums. Was great to see the Gills play at Highbury which I think was my last visit there before they moved. Also look out for Livingston results in Scotland because I moved into Livingstone Road the year they were formed in 1995. On the continent I look for Rennes results as I watched them play a few years ago whilst holidaying in France.

CSKA Moscow is my other team just as the Gills are my girlfriend's. See them from time to time but not so far this year as have been in UK since the pandemic hit.

Used to go to Arsenal a lot in the late 80,s and early 90,s before all seater stadiums. Was great to see the Gills play at Highbury which I think was my last visit there before they moved. Also look out for Livingston results in Scotland because I moved into Livingstone Road the year they were formed in 1995. On the continent I look for Rennes results as I watched them play a few years ago whilst holidaying in France.

How funny, I was only speaking to my cousin yesterday about his team, Heart of Midlothian and the times I went up to Edinburgh and we used to go over to watch Meadowbank Thistle who became Livingston after they relocated!

My 2nd team is Man U. From a very young age when Charlton, Best, Law were the gods of English/British football and I’d swap any other football player card to get Paddy Crerand, Alex Stepney or the like. But I’ve only ever seen them play live 3 times. (EDIT - actually 4. Forgot I saw them play here in Oz v Aussie X1 on a pre-season tour a few years ago).

I’ve a soft spot for Celtic before Rangers cos my best mate growing up was from Glasgow and a manic Tic fan. I went up to Glasgow with him one weekend for a party, but Celtic were away. We sat in relative silence watching Rangers beat Dundee (I think) 4-0. Was hilarious.

I’ve also now got a soft spot for 2 teams who’s grounds I visited on my hols 3 years ago. At Donny v Barnet (MA led) a Donny fan out of the blue gave me and my son his 2 spare tickets. Said “enjoy the game lads” and walked off! Great game too. 3-2 Donny in their promo season.

The other is our current nemesis Bristol Rovers. Saw the Gills there (a 2-1 defeat with 2 very late goals for them). But I enjoyed the open terrace in the rain and a few beers with some Gasheads in their club bar behind the home end. Their support was very impressive. About 9k from memory and pretty loud. The only poor part of the day was our own supporters and the evil bile some of them spewed out at JED at the end. W@nkers.

Last edited:

I'm Gills because my Dad - a Bradford man- firmly believed in going to watch the local club wherever fate sent you.

I watch out for friends' teams and used to follow Hibs because I got their green Arsenal strip for my Subbuteo league team (Berengrave Park Rangers) -nick name, Rangers.

Last edited:
I was into subbuteo as a kid and Gills, Everton and Queen of the South were all named on the end of the box as their kits were similar, so always looked out for their results too.

Most of the teams results I look out for now are to see if they've lost, not won.

Last edited:

As a kid I started following the scores of Forfar and Raith Rovers. No idea why, but I still check the tables more often than I should.