Your gigs/concerts - biggest stars | Page 5 | Vital Football

Your gigs/concerts - biggest stars

Free, Fleetwood Mac (Peter Green's original),Barclay James Harvest, Eric Clapton, King Crimson (who were brilliant, contrary to earlier post), James Taylor, Pigeon Detectives, Jethro Tull, Imelda May, John Mayall, Mike & the Mechanics.

They were all really good, Fleetwood Mac, BJH and Free were brilliant, Clapton was ok but no charisma at all, didn't say a word, unlike James Taylor who was really quite funny with his quips between songs.

If you like bluesy rock bands, get down to 'Blues at the Woodlands' 2nd Friday every month at Woodlands school in Gillingham. It's on tonight, with the Connor Selby band, who have just been chosen to back The Who on their upcoming summer tour.

Depends what you call bluesy music, to me blues is the original delta blues etc lol.

Blimey Archie, Ben Chittenden. Seriously odd bloke. When were you at GGS?

BTW I love Caravan and King Crimson

1966 to 1973.
Land of Grey and Pink was my favourite Caravan album. Golf girl still randomly turns up in car playlists as does Court of the Crimson King much to my wife's disgust. Shes more of an Abba girl.

1966 to 1973.
Land of Grey and Pink was my favourite Caravan album. Golf girl still randomly turns up in car playlists as does Court of the Crimson King much to my wife's disgust. Shes more of an Abba girl.
I believe that Caravan (Canterbury's finest) album was recorded in the church at Graveney. Golf Girl is a great track. Missus can't handle King Crimson either.
69/76 for me btw.

Not really a gig person but Norman Wisdom at Central Hall was a master class in comic timing and bob monkhouse was sublime.

Depends what you call bluesy music, to me blues is the original delta blues etc lol.
Well Connor Selby certainly plays a lot of delta blues, as do some of the other artists at the Woodlands gigs. But I know what you mean, because some of the bands that play there play a lot of quite heavy rock without much blues at all. But you do get some individual acts who play very original blues, such as a guy called Sam Brothers, who's excellent and plays a lot of gigs around Kent. Well worth a watch.

in kent
the stranglers and siouxsie and the banshees at the tvs studios
geno washington at the king charles
the beat (in their heyday) canterbuy student union
all time
maniac street preachers millenium night , oasis loch lomond and the stone roses at spike island

in kent
the stranglers and siouxsie and the banshees at the tvs studios

Was that where Gillingham Aldi now stands? Saw all the gigs there filmed for 'Off The Record show'. Don't recall Siouxsie but saw Gillan, Talk Talk, Shakatak, Stranglers, Hazel OConnor, The Fixx and Haircut 100 all for free as I used to get complimentary tickets!

Arthur Lee and Love 2 years running at Mount Ephraim near Canterbury. The first year the Damned and the Stranglers headlined - members of the Damned riveted at the side of the stage. Also Jack Bruce the first year. The second year one of the nights was Percy Plant who paid for Love's hotel charges.

The wife saw Soft Machine several times before they made a record as well as the Floyd at Canterbury college when their first single Arnold Layne was out. She joined the Pink Floyd fan club even though she was really a soul fan.

1966 to 1973.
I believe that Caravan (Canterbury's finest) album was recorded in the church at Graveney. Golf Girl is a great track. Missus can't handle King Crimson either.
69/76 for me btw.

Somewhat delayed comment on Caravan as I have been trawling the memory banks for the name of the cafe in Canterbury which I guess must have had some personal link to someone connected with the band as you could quite often hear tracks that had not yet been released - these were the early days of cassette players in the (very) early 1970's.

Anyone else visit the Foundry in those days? Or know what happened to it, or what the connection was, if there was one?

If I had to choose a favourite band of all time it would probably be Caravan. Saw them loads of times in the 1970's, and again in November 2017, still in fine form but sadly without Richard Coughlan, at the wonderful Bury Met.

Central Hall , Chatham
Alvin Stardust and Roy Wood/Wizard.
TVS studios (Duncan Rd) Ian Gillan band
Kent Custom Bike show , Dr Feel-good
O2 arena , Pink Floyd
Osnabruck , Germany Gary Moore
Circus Tavern Four Tops
Woodlands Tavern/Beacon Court Dirtie Bertie 😀

Somewhat delayed comment on Caravan as I have been trawling the memory banks for the name of the cafe in Canterbury which I guess must have had some personal link to someone connected with the band as you could quite often hear tracks that had not yet been released - these were the early days of cassette players in the (very) early 1970's.

Anyone else visit the Foundry in those days? Or know what happened to it, or what the connection was, if there was one?

If I had to choose a favourite band of all time it would probably be Caravan. Saw them loads of times in the 1970's, and again in November 2017, still in fine form but sadly without Richard Coughlan, at the wonderful Bury Met.

I don't know much about the foundry or it's connection to Caravan as I was a bit young then. It closed around 1974 and the building became Quine's Diner an American style burger place. I worked there from 1976 to 1978 and as a bit of useless trivia Geoff Richardson, then a member of Caravan would come in most evenings - he always had a club sandwich as I recall. A few years back someone reopened as the foundry in the same premises- more as a pub/ bar than a cafe but they had to move out when Nasons department store who owned the building went bust.

I went to the Duke of Woburn's, in the mid to late 1960's. It was the Rhythm & Blues Festival that played in a different part of England each year, you know - the one which had a lot of trouble on the Isle of Wight the following year. I didn't have a clue who was going to be on, but it seemed a cool idea. Anyhow, following a completely awful group from Medway, that left the stage after a bloke threw his half eaten apple and knocked the singer's mike over, the stage went dark and they prepared for the next lot. The lights went up to Jimi Hendrix either playing or, tuning his guitar!!
Really amazing.