Your gigs/concerts - biggest stars | Page 4 | Vital Football

Your gigs/concerts - biggest stars

Blimey, some serious acts have performed in Kent.

unfortunately when I was a yoof (and now) everything was in London- Brixton academy, Camden roundhouse and the O2
The last time I was at the Roundhouse it was either Welsh group Man or Michael Nesmith oh and I saw that Mexican dancer who got her kit off. Artistic they said. Call it whay you like - she got her kit off

...... If I can digress, as an oldie it's allowed, talk of the Central Hall led me to the Central Hotel and a band called High Tide. Promoted by a mate from Gillingham Grammar because the hippies in the 6th form common room liked them! A bit niche but they had a brilliant violinist and the album cover was one of the best ever.
Simon House was the violinist, with High Tide, who also played with Hawkwind for a while amongst others.
I think I knew some of your "6th form common room" crew ... they probably, were also part of the Gris-Gris lightshow & put on Quintessence at the Central hall....

Lining up for music outside the 6th form common room was always an experience. Captain Beefheart King Crimson and Caravan or Camel not sure which blairing out.
While Ben Chittenden tried to enthuse us with Benjamin Britten.

It would be interesting to know people's best concert attended. For me, Bruce Springsteen, Wembley Stadium 4th July 1985. Played for about 4 hours, with no curfew. I missed the last train back to Medway and had to spend the night on Victoria station. I didn't care.

Honourable mentions to Madness at the Astoria about 15 years' ago and James and the RAH about 5 years' ago.

Worst - Black Grape at the Town and Country Club. Hour late going on stage, played for about 40 minutes and walked off. We waited for an encore which didn't come.

Simon House was the violinist, with High Tide, who also played with Hawkwind for a while amongst others.
I think I knew some of your "6th form common room" crew ... they probably, were also part of the Gris-Gris lightshow & put on Quintessence at the Central hall....
Pete Rose was the main 'head'. Gris-Gris light show at the old Rechabite Hall opposite the bus station playing the Soft Machine at volume 11. Happy days🤪

Free, Fleetwood Mac (Peter Green's original),Barclay James Harvest, Eric Clapton, King Crimson (who were brilliant, contrary to earlier post), James Taylor, Pigeon Detectives, Jethro Tull, Imelda May, John Mayall, Mike & the Mechanics.

They were all really good, Fleetwood Mac, BJH and Free were brilliant, Clapton was ok but no charisma at all, didn't say a word, unlike James Taylor who was really quite funny with his quips between songs.

If you like bluesy rock bands, get down to 'Blues at the Woodlands' 2nd Friday every month at Woodlands school in Gillingham. It's on tonight, with the Connor Selby band, who have just been chosen to back The Who on their upcoming summer tour.

Free, Fleetwood Mac (Peter Green's original),Barclay James Harvest, Eric Clapton, King Crimson (who were brilliant, contrary to earlier post), James Taylor, Pigeon Detectives, Jethro Tull, Imelda May, John Mayall, Mike & the Mechanics.

They were all really good, Fleetwood Mac, BJH and Free were brilliant, Clapton was ok but no charisma at all, didn't say a word, unlike James Taylor who was really quite funny with his quips between songs.

If you like bluesy rock bands, get down to 'Blues at the Woodlands' 2nd Friday every month at Woodlands school in Gillingham. It's on tonight, with the Connor Selby band, who have just been chosen to back The Who on their upcoming summer tour.
Saw Connor last Sat. Well worth watching. Special mention to the 2nd guitarist who adds so much to the music..

Oh interesting LE14, I saw them last year and there was only a bass guitarist and drummer. So are they now a foursome?
We'll find out tonight.

Memorable Kent gigs
Hawkwind supporting Skin Alley somewhere in Canterbury probably about 1970
Deep Purple and Blodwyn Pig (separate gigs) at Central Hall also about 1970
Genesis at Cranbrook School (really!) 11th December 1971

Best Gigs
1. Green Day - Manchester Arena - October 2009
2= Yes - Rainbow - December 1972
2= Pearl Jam - Manchester Arena - June 2012

Last edited:
I utterly resent this thread because my gig-going days (mid- to late eighties) were a time when there was absolutely fuck all going on in the Medway Towns and the best you could hope for was a gig in London where you'd have to miss the encore to get the train back home.

I could have murdered all those old c*nts going on about how they'd seen the Stones, Beatles, Hendrix and James Brown at the Central Hall with Elvis on at the encore and change for a tanner and a bag of chips on the way home.

I remember seeing the Prisoners and the Daggermen - who were both brilliant - at the King Charles Hotel one time but that was about it. Not even the local bands played much locally. The biggest thing I can remember happening was Fat Larry almost carking it at Joannas.

I utterly resent this thread because my gig-going days (mid- to late eighties) were a time when there was absolutely fuck all going on in the Medway Towns and the best you could hope for was a gig in London where you'd have to miss the encore to get the train back home.

I could have murdered all those old c*nts going on about how they'd seen the Stones, Beatles, Hendrix and James Brown at the Central Hall with Elvis on at the encore and change for a tanner and a bag of chips on the way home.

I remember seeing the Prisoners and the Daggermen - who were both brilliant - at the King Charles Hotel one time but that was about it. Not even the local bands played much locally. The biggest thing I can remember happening was Fat Larry almost carking it at Joannas.
Joanna’s, now that takes me back to the 80s. That and the Regency - marvellous times.

Wembly Stadium hosted some great all day music festivals in the mid to late 1970s. The Who, AC/DC, Eagles, Beach Boys, Elton John, joe Walsh, The Stranglers could be a few more I've forgotten.

Wembly Stadium hosted some great all day music festivals in the mid to late 1970s. The Who, AC/DC, Eagles, Beach Boys, Elton John, joe Walsh, The Stranglers could be a few more I've forgotten.
Santana but my favourite was CSNY, The Band and Joni Mitchell oin the same bill and my day was made when Linda Lewis [Lark] sat with us. The great thing those was that you could often pay on the day. Wembley Arena - Poco, Led Zep and Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells a Story era

... but not in Kent =
T.Rex & The Faces - Weeley Festival, Essex , 1971
Capt. Beefheart & his Magic Band - Bickershaw Festival, Lancs. 1972

2 somewhat contrasting festivals!!! My main memory of Weeley was a guy who was even more detached from the events than most, wandering through the crowd calling 'Wally ….. Wally ….. Wally..." Don't know if he ever found him. But at least the sun shone.

My memories of Bickershawe have been consigned to somewhere deep and dark, partly because of the weather, and mostly for other reasons that I leave to the imagination of the board. Now you mention it, Beefheart was good, and Grateful Dead played a set of epic length, the details of which I remember nothing....

Lining up for music outside the 6th form common room was always an experience. Captain Beefheart King Crimson and Caravan or Camel not sure which blairing out.
While Ben Chittenden tried to enthuse us with Benjamin Britten.
Blimey Archie, Ben Chittenden. Seriously odd bloke. When were you at GGS?

BTW I love Caravan and King Crimson

Superb rant. Well done.

Best gig was my first....999 at the Electric Ballroom in Camden in 1980. Went to loads of gigs from then to 84. I can't honestly say what were my fav gigs, but always loved seeing 999, the Banshees, UK Decay, Killing Joke, Theatre of Hate and Naked (Sheppey band with GFC fan on guitar. He is no longer with us sadly). Outside of punk, Faith No More were awesome at Wembley, supporting GnR in 93ish and saw Inspiral Carpets in 94 who were top drawer

Saw Connor last Sat. Well worth watching. Special mention to the 2nd guitarist who adds so much to the music..
Just got in from watching the Connor Selby Band at Blues at the Woodlands, they were brilliant; there's surely nothing that Clapton, Hendrix etc do that Connor can't, exceptional guitar player. The rest of the band were superb also, particularly the rhythm guitarist, as you mentioned LE14.

They're backing The Who on their summer tour, but they're actually better than The Who!

It would be interesting to know people's best concert attended. For me, Bruce Springsteen, Wembley Stadium 4th July 1985. Played for about 4 hours, with no curfew. I missed the last train back to Medway and had to spend the night on Victoria station. I didn't care.

Honourable mentions to Madness at the Astoria about 15 years' ago and James and the RAH about 5 years' ago.

Worst - Black Grape at the Town and Country Club. Hour late going on stage, played for about 40 minutes and walked off. We waited for an encore which didn't come.

Best, as mentioned earlier jerry lee lewis at the Central Hall but equally James Brown in his final appearance in the uk at the Royal Albert Hall.