Your gigs/concerts - biggest stars | Page 3 | Vital Football

Your gigs/concerts - biggest stars

Jimi Hendrix - Chatham Central Hall
Rolling Stones - Invicta Ballroom Chatham
Rita Coolidge - Central Hall
Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran, Bill Haley, Little Richard, Carl Perkins - Gaumont Rochester [not all on same show]
The High Numbers [later The Who] - Corn Exchange Rochester
Danny & the Juniors - Corn Exchange Rochester
Marmalade - Dreamland
I think I saw Clapton at Woodville

Proper respect for that, Wayne. Long before I was born and I regard myself as an old fart! My mum tells a story that she and half of her year at Christchurch knocked off of their prizegiving to see the Stones at the Town Hall in the early 60s and the next day they were all named and shamed in assembly. I've seen them and a few top drawer bands but not in Kent and certainly not in their prime. I have seen the Chuckle brothers and Proclaimers at the Marlow though!

Last edited:
Curved Air at Central Hall Chatham.Must have been early/mid 70's.Was only about 14.Needed the Gents half way through,took a wrong turn,and ended up backstage.Sonja Kristina was standing there in the buff mid costume change.To cut a long story short- she took my cherry.A good night.

Was there too! At 14 Sonja was my first imaginary girlfriend. Back street luv!

Proper respect for that, Wayne. Long before I was born and I regard myself as an old fart! My mum tells a story that she and half of her year at Christchurch knocked off of their prizegiving to see the Stones at the Town Hall in the early 60s and the next day they were all named and shamed in assembly. I've seen them and a few top drawer bands but not in Kent and certainly not in their prime. I have seen the Chuckle brothers and Proclaimers at the Marlow though!
The shows in Rochester were amazing with about five acts on the bill with the likes of Bill Hayley a supporting act to Manfred Mann, although I remember Little Richard not wanting to be outdone by anyone.

Rita Coolidge was fairly recent but given her time etc with the Rolling Thunder Review etc I had to see her. Remember her and others as back up singers to Joe Cocker live 'With a Little Help From My Friends'? She was married to Kris Kristofferson then.

The first time the Stones came to Rochester was in '63 but we hadn't really heard of them at that time. What did we know? Their first album didn't come out until '64 and it was the publicity that led to the '64 tour. So, the Stones were in the Medway Towns twice within six months.

At that time, the Medway Towns was awash with venues and visiting stars and I guess there have been many more since but you kind of stick with the ones you grew up with; plus, in the late 60s I moved to London and music-wise the world was my lobster.

Looks like a number of us were at the Hendrix concert. Also saw Curved Air at Central Hall. The hall had a booze ban as I remember because of a religious covenant. I seem to remember having an orange juice! Also saw Walter Trout there after the venue changed from the dockyard. If I can digress, as an oldie it's allowed, talk of the Central Hall led me to the Central Hotel and a band called High Tide. Promoted by a mate from Gillingham Grammar because the hippies in the 6th form common room liked them! A bit niche but they had a brilliant violinist and the album cover was one of the best ever.

Just remembered another blast from the past that gigged all around Kent.
Grand Hotel, who morphed into The Quick.
Brilliant vocalist called Colin Campsie.
Anyone else who saw them .
Sharks are cool, Jets are hot.

Looks like a number of us were at the Hendrix concert. Also saw Curved Air at Central Hall. The hall had a booze ban as I remember because of a religious covenant. I seem to remember having an orange juice! Also saw Walter Trout there after the venue changed from the dockyard. If I can digress, as an oldie it's allowed, talk of the Central Hall led me to the Central Hotel and a band called High Tide. Promoted by a mate from Gillingham Grammar because the hippies in the 6th form common room liked them! A bit niche but they had a brilliant violinist and the album cover was one of the best ever.
Wasn't worried about the Central Hall alcohol ban as it was around the corner from my 'local' the Dover Castle

No , both rock bands.
Nicky Moore was like a low budget, Medway Towns version of Meatloaf 😁
Pit Props were rock/blues. Excellent guitarist.
Just found out (google) that Nicky Moore replaced Bruce Dickenson in Sampson when he left to go to Iron Maiden.

Didn’t Dickenson once play on the wing for us?

none group, but used to go to the Caroline roadshow at the town hall, sort of heavy rock disco . guys on stage had pretend guitars. great music

Last edited:
Were you at GHS LE14? If so, when?

Ah, I see. Tuesday night was punk night so wouldn't have seen them. I played there with a couple of bands I was in🤘
Spent many a Friday and Saturday night at the Red Lion in the early 80s watching Chinatown Overkill (not the American lot) and The Larry Miller Band.

Spent many a Friday and Saturday night at the Red Lion in the early 80s watching Chinatown Overkill (not the American lot) and The Larry Miller Band.
..and I spent many a tuesday watching Anthrax (not the American lot either). Terry Lee should be given a peerage for his support of local bands. Top man

Blimey, some serious acts have performed in Kent.

unfortunately when I was a yoof (and now) everything was in London- Brixton academy, Camden roundhouse and the O2