Your Feelings/Views Ahead Of The New Season? | Page 3 | Vital Football

Your Feelings/Views Ahead Of The New Season?

I think the 'ins' and 'outs' of the personnel have been spot on this summer, to enable us to move forwards. Some excellent recruiting from Danny Cowley in key area's. Andrade, Akinde, McCarten, Wharton and Toffolo especially look to raise the level of the team on paper. Hoping to see young Chapman get plenty of opportunities this season, I think he could benefit from getting some game time at this level. Conclusion -improvement on last seasons 7th place. Top 3 would be nice.

Hope we get automatics, but the slightly less optimistic side of me thinks play-offs again. Think we’ll edge it 2-1 today... I look like my photo, but don’t often sit on dodgy looking blokes knees...

A mixture of nervousness and excitement. Almost everyone - bookies, pundits, fans - seems to have us among the favourites. That's an unfamiliar sort of pressure, but I'm sure the Cowleys will take it in their stride as they have done with every challenge they've faced over the last two years. I'll stick with my prediction of 4th.

Thanks for asking. I can honestly say that I don't think I have ever felt so confident going into a new season and that's over a period of 55 years.

I remember back in 1975 seeing a headline in The Sun (my dad used to buy it!) in an article about the forthcoming season, the title of which was "Lincoln on the Up and Up" - my God, how right that proved to be

Top three would be most welcome; another title even moreso!

Good article in yesterdays sun i was shown on the way down today!

I think this is the first season the Cowleys have been here that there's an expectation not just from within but externally, too. We're being tipped for promotion left, right and centre. In fact, it's probably the first season in their career that they've been so well fancied because that was never the case at Braintree or Concord. They're certainly more comfortable in an underdog scenario.

Transfer business has been good, and it's the spine of the team that has improved and that area of the pitch is so important.

Vickers is like a new signing and the strongest of the three 'keepers we had last season. Getting Wharton back was a big transfer, O'Connor is better than Whitehouse (probably not Woodyard if we're comparing them?) and a firing Akinde is certainly a top, top signing for this level.

A lot will depend on Akinde, I think. If we can get him scoring then he's the sort of player who's the difference between PO's and auto's although Andrade and McCartan strike me as a couple of players who'll pull something out the bag and are capable of turning tight games with a little bit of quality - whether that be a goal or a bit of skill to open something up.

All in all, anything below 7th would be a disappointing season.

In terms of the league, I think it'll be similar to last season i.e. they'll be a top 9 who'll fight it out for promotion.

Watching DC's post-match interview he was clearly playing the whole thing down & trying to keep a lid on things. Fully undertsand that with the players, but we are allowed to get a bit excited aren't we? Can't say I blame him. Thought I'd resurrect this thread. I know it's VERY early days and I don't want to jinx things with Cods & County coming up, but was just interested to read this thread and the one about how many points we'll get in August given how the first three games have gone. Was really entertaining to see Notty's 'out-of-character' post-match view last night after his usual level of cautious pessimism pr-season ??. Wonder how we'll go with 78/79 goals this year given we've scored 9 so far (albeit 4 in cup)? Quite entertaining ?

So far all has gone fantastically well. All the new recruits look like quality players. I think we should revisit this thread after the next three games. We have two big derby matches coming up plus a game against a team who played in league one last year.
The exciting thing for me is the fact that none of the fans have a clue what formation we will use or which players will start before any match at the moment. The main thing is that the opposition won't know either.
So far Danny has got everything right but it must be very difficult to leave anyone out at the moment. What an headache to have!

As in a different thread, I am not getting ahead of myself, and keeping expectations to within realistic levels.
We have had a great start and the squad seem to be able to play quite well together no matter who is on the pitch, which was one of my main worries.
BUT, it has only been 2 games, let's not get carried away. Lose against the Cods and we are back to mid table, and unnecessary doubts come creeping in. There was a thread on the amount of points we would get in August, the average I think was 9 and I thought that to be about right. Grimsby will be a harder match than County, as they will be desperate to get their season on track and one over on us. So ever the pessimist I don't expect too much from that one.
Having said that, and despite been a major league pessimist, I think the quality we now have in depth in the squad, coupled with the support of the fans and the fact teams won't be able to work out our style of play due to the ability of the players and DC to adapt to every game accordingly. Will mean a top 3 finish.
There I have said it. Also, despite losing in the friendly I think we will make it through against Blackburn in the cup, and hopefully reach 4th round.
As for the FA cup, well we are bound to get a cap draw away from home in the first round and go out to a late goal.
All this from someone more pessimistic than Notty.

The photo of me looks nothing like me now as I have recently had one of the teeth removed.