Your Favourite Crisps? | Page 3 | Vital Football

Your Favourite Crisps?

Yes, if you were very lucky you might find some cheese & onion - but not made by Smith's.

Ice cream was similar - you could only get vanilla, or strawberry if you were lucky.

Yes, if you were very lucky you might find some cheese & onion - but not made by Smith's.

Ice cream was similar - you could only get vanilla, or strawberry if you were lucky.

Yes, my Aunt had a sweet shop and sold Walls ice cream, and I remember a number of developments while growing up through the 50s and 60s. At that time Lyons Maid was the main competitor. First, everything was in a block - even wafers and cornets were small blocks; Mr Softee and Mr Whippy came later - end of 50s/early 60s?. The choice, as you say, was vanilla or strawberry and vanilla, but there was also chocolate, strawberry and vanilla, known as Neapolitan, which must have come out soon after? I reckon the next initiative was ripple - I think Walls made Raspberry Ripple, and Lyons Strawberry Ripple - again in blocks. There was also a Tutti Fruity - with crystalised fruit in. Lollies changed too, from just a fruit flavour, to the introduction of ice cream in the middle - Walls had a split, but I reckon Lyons Maid beat them to it with the Mivvi. I also remember as a treat eg at Christmas or Birthdays, she would get in an ice cream cake for us

Yes, my Aunt had a sweet shop and sold Walls ice cream, and I remember a number of developments while growing up through the 50s and 60s. At that time Lyons Maid was the main competitor. First, everything was in a block - even wafers and cornets were small blocks; Mr Softee and Mr Whippy came later - end of 50s/early 60s?. The choice, as you say, was vanilla or strawberry and vanilla, but there was also chocolate, strawberry and vanilla, known as Neapolitan, which must have come out soon after? I reckon the next initiative was ripple - I think Walls made Raspberry Ripple, and Lyons Strawberry Ripple - again in blocks. There was also a Tutti Fruity - with crystalised fruit in. Lollies changed too, from just a fruit flavour, to the introduction of ice cream in the middle - Walls had a split, but I reckon Lyons Maid beat them to it with the Mivvi. I also remember as a treat eg at Christmas or Birthdays, she would get in an ice cream cake for us

I don't really like ice-cream and rarely eat it.

I don't really like ice-cream and rarely eat it.

Rarely eat it on its own (eg other than on holiday) but it is a mainstay of my diet with puddings - whether they be hot or cold (exception would be custard with hot sponge)

Rarely eat it on its own (eg other than on holiday) but it is a mainstay of my diet with puddings - whether they be hot or cold (exception would be custard with hot sponge)

I always have cream. Custard occasionally.

Before the Mr Whippy/Softee vans used to come round, there used to be at Skeg "American Whipped Ice cream" which was something of a novelty, pretty much the same as the later stuff from the Mr Men I suppose, but without the chocolate sauce and nuts..

I'm now remembering that in the mid 50s, there was an old fashioned ice cream van used to come round Hartsholme on a Sunday afternoon, they used to ring a hand bell out of the window.

This was Kolton's ice cream, a precursor of the soft stuff. A man used to drive and his wife sold the stuff. They lived at a house on Rookery Lane, just past Boultham Park, the van used to be parked there during the week. Kolton's ice cream cost 2d while at the time Walls cost 3d.

Last edited:
Before the Mr Whippy/Softee vans used to come round, there used to be at Skeg "American Whipped Ice cream" which was something of a novelty, pretty much the same as the later stuff from the Mr Men I suppose, but without the chocolate sauce and nuts..

I'm now remembering that in the mid 50s, there was an old fashioned ice cream van used to come round Hartsholme on a Sunday afternoon, they used to ring a hand bell out of the window.

This was Kolton's ice cream, a precursor of the soft stuff. A man used to drive and his wife sold the stuff. They lived at a house on Rookery Lane, just past Boultham Park, the van used to be parked there during the week. Kolton's ice cream cost 2d while at the time Walls cost 3d.

Haven't heard of those - must have just been around the south end of the city. But you've reminded me. I reckon Walls ice cream vans used to come round?

Double or single

I'm perfectly happy having both cream and ice cream (ie together with the pud), though we rarely have cream in

Either! Does anyone remember tinned, sterilsed cream? I think the brand was Carnation. We used to have that quite a lot as kids.

Either! Does anyone remember tinned, sterilsed cream? I think the brand was Carnation. We used to have that quite a lot as kids.

Remember it well, though I remember it as evaporated milk. We would have it with tinned fruit. There was also condensed milk?

Something both Mrs S and I both remember, quite separately, was that when when we had tinned fruit and carnation - normally for tea on a Sunday - the adults would have bread and butter with it. neither of us can understand that!!

I remember a number of developments while growing up through the 50s and 60s. At that time Lyons Maid was the main competitor. First, everything was in a block - even wafers and cornets were small blocks; Mr Softee and Mr Whippy came later - end of 50s/early 60s?. The choice, as you say, was vanilla or strawberry and vanilla, but there was also chocolate, strawberry and vanilla, known as Neapolitan, which must have come out soon after?

My mother had a corner shop and we sold ice cream until I'd say around 1963 when the ice cream vans started coming round and she said they took all the trade away so she stopped selling it.

As you say, it was in little blocks, and between two wafers was the usual way of eating it - or you could stick the block in an oblong-shaped wafer and eat it that way. Yes, we sold Neapolitan blocks (don't know when they started).

Back to the theme of crisps, and we sold nothing but Smith's, who seemed to have a near-monopoly, and if they did cheese & onion I never saw any. Price 4d and included the little blue bag of salt. They were delivered to shops in square tins.

Then Golden Wonder came along - I'd guess in about 1964 - and not only undercut Smith's by selling the crisps for 3d but also made them ready-salted so they soon overtook Smith's in popularity for those two reasons. They also did cheese & onion, and I think all the other flavours followed on from that. Another change was they were delivered in cardboard boxes, so that was the end of the old tins which, as some people might say nowadays, could often be 're-purposed'.

Back to the theme of crisps, and we sold nothing but Smith's, who seemed to have a near-monopoly, and if they did cheese & onion I never saw any. Price 4d and included the little blue bag of salt. They were delivered to shops in square tins.

They also did cheese & onion, and I think all the other flavours followed on from that. Another change was they were delivered in cardboard boxes, so that was the end of the old tins which, as some people might say nowadays, could often be 're-purposed'.

Of course, in Lincoln you could buy 1d packets of "broken crisps" (sweepings) too.

Salt and vinegar came next after C & O.

Smiths crisps were in greaseproof paper bags, so were apt to lose crispness. Perhaps the tins made them last longer. The salt was sometimes very wet too.