Your Favourite Alcoholic Drink? | Page 17 | Vital Football

Your Favourite Alcoholic Drink?

I've been really impressed with the US craft beer scene every time I've been over in the last decade. It feels more independent than in the UK, with some of the better known British craft breweries getting bought out.

BTW, where are you in LA? My wife grew up in the valley and went to UCLA. Her folks have since moved to Chicago, so we don't get over to the west coast, although we are overdue a visit.

I'm in the other valley, the San Gabriel Valley. Home of Bill and Ted. I like Chicago, my first visit there was running the Chicago marathon. Great people from all over came out to cheer us on. Wouldn't mind going back there again to visit, but maybe in summer.

Wow, sounds like it is thriving then! More than enough places to keep you busy by the sound of it.

I think Firestone Walker are California-based and have a collaborative beer with the excellent Thornbridge over here, Pomodora I think it's called. It's a tasty one.

Yes Firestone is a pretty big brewery and I think their base is out near Ojai. That area is a great place to visit, mainly wineries but really beautiful. It's where they filmed Sideways. I try to head out there for a few days every 6 months or so. The wine tasting is great and it's so quiet and relaxed.

Here's my Valentine's Day treat:)

1613264913873.png

Yes Firestone is a pretty big brewery and I think their base is out near Ojai. That area is a great place to visit, mainly wineries but really beautiful. It's where they filmed Sideways. I try to head out there for a few days every 6 months or so. The wine tasting is great and it's so quiet and relaxed.

View attachment 46100
Happy Valentine's Day to you! Have fun with those!

When I first moved to the US 20 years ago the situation pretty much confirmed a lot of American stereotypes about piss-weak beer and not much choice (some good spots but not that many). But in the last 10 years or so there has been an explosion of craft breweries all over. Small local breweries brewing their own stuff are all over and it's great, they experiment with everything and the atmosphere in them is fantastic. Just people trying stuff out without any of the bar nightlife. I know local brewers who worked for big pharma and then said "stuff it let's just set up shop and brew" - they've taken off like wildfire. Locals have their own growlers and they will fill you up for take out brews as well.

On top of that, speciality liquor stores are everywhere with tons of ales. Really easy to find sours, golden ales, blondes, bourbon ales, barleywine, and my personal favourite, all the Belgians you can want. It never used to be like this but if you like a nice brew it's pretty easy now.

In my neck of the woods you've got Progress, Smog City Brewing, HighPoint, Old Stump, Alosta, Homage, to name a few. If you check out their websites you can see what they have and it's always changing. But there are literally hundreds. Also because the weather is usually really nice setting up tables outside and keeping COVID safe is relatively easy to do.
We' ve had a few fly drives to various parts of the states, 'native' beer certainly gone from crap to craft in that time. Last trip 5 years ago we stayed a couple of nights in Moab, Utah, the Moab (micro) Brewery was definitely a holiday highlight, great range of beers produced on site and good food to be washed down by it.

View attachment 46100
I can't remember if I mentioned this on this thread before, but there are a gaggle(?) of monks in an abbey a couple of miles from my house who make a Trappist beer you might be interested in. It's called Tynt Meadow. Not technically Belgian but it's that style!