Your Favourite Alcoholic Drink? | Page 16 | Vital Football

Your Favourite Alcoholic Drink?

Well, I've not posted on this thread for a while, so I'm back. I was in Morrisons earlier and thought it would be rude not to pick up a few Ciders.

So, I went for Angioletti Reserva Italian Craft Cider (Abv 6.8%), Friels First Press Vintage Cider, Henry Westons Cloudy Vintage Cider and Sandford Orchards Devon Red Cider because I've never tried them before.

I've just opened the first bottle on the list and I must say, I am surprised. I quite like it.

Well, I've not posted on this thread for a while, so I'm back. I was in Morrisons earlier and thought it would be rude not to pick up a few Ciders.

So, I went for Angioletti Reserva Italian Craft Cider (Abv 6.8%), Friels First Press Vintage Cider, Henry Westons Cloudy Vintage Cider and Sandford Orchards Devon Red Cider because I've never tried them before.

I've just opened the first bottle on the list and I must say, I am surprised. I quite like it.
I think I've had the Angioletti before - if it's the one in thinking of, in a squat bottle with a long neck? I liked it, too.

I think I've had the Angioletti before - if it's the one in thinking of, in a squat bottle with a long neck? I liked it, too.

408704011_0_640x640.jpg

Well, so far, I've had Angioletti Reserva Italian Craft Cider (very nice), Friels First Press Vintage Cider (not so sure about this one) and Sandford Orchards Devon Red Cider (also very nice).

Just looked this up and it sounds lovely!

It's strong stuff, and not cheap, so not a frequent go-to. But for special occasions, or when you just feel like you deserve it, it's great. The first time a tried it I remember thinking to myself, I didn't think beers could do this. Since then I've had other quality brews and expanded my taste buds, but I always go back to a nice Curieux. Let me know what you think if you try a bottle Rob.

Sainsburys now appear to stock 3 different Ciders from Cornish Orchards, so I've bought some Gold for tomorrow, which will no doubt be almost all gone tonight..

It's strong stuff, and not cheap, so not a frequent go-to. But for special occasions, or when you just feel like you deserve it, it's great. The first time a tried it I remember thinking to myself, I didn't think beers could do this. Since then I've had other quality brews and expanded my taste buds, but I always go back to a nice Curieux. Let me know what you think if you try a bottle Rob.
I'll keep an eye out for it...or maybe order some if I'm feeling flush. I do like the sound of it! Do you get many interesting brews around LA? I tried a couple of beers when I was travelling in California two years ago but can't remember any names.

I'll keep an eye out for it...or maybe order some if I'm feeling flush. I do like the sound of it! Do you get many interesting brews around LA? I tried a couple of beers when I was travelling in California two years ago but can't remember any names.

When I first moved to the US 20 years ago the situation pretty much confirmed a lot of American stereotypes about piss-weak beer and not much choice (some good spots but not that many). But in the last 10 years or so there has been an explosion of craft breweries all over. Small local breweries brewing their own stuff are all over and it's great, they experiment with everything and the atmosphere in them is fantastic. Just people trying stuff out without any of the bar nightlife. I know local brewers who worked for big pharma and then said "stuff it let's just set up shop and brew" - they've taken off like wildfire. Locals have their own growlers and they will fill you up for take out brews as well.

On top of that, speciality liquor stores are everywhere with tons of ales. Really easy to find sours, golden ales, blondes, bourbon ales, barleywine, and my personal favourite, all the Belgians you can want. It never used to be like this but if you like a nice brew it's pretty easy now.

In my neck of the woods you've got Progress, Smog City Brewing, HighPoint, Old Stump, Alosta, Homage, to name a few. If you check out their websites you can see what they have and it's always changing. But there are literally hundreds. Also because the weather is usually really nice setting up tables outside and keeping COVID safe is relatively easy to do.

When I first moved to the US 20 years ago the situation pretty much confirmed a lot of American stereotypes about piss-weak beer and not much choice (some good spots but not that many). But in the last 10 years or so there has been an explosion of craft breweries all over. Small local breweries brewing their own stuff are all over and it's great, they experiment with everything and the atmosphere in them is fantastic. Just people trying stuff out without any of the bar nightlife. I know local brewers who worked for big pharma and then said "stuff it let's just set up shop and brew" - they've taken off like wildfire. Locals have their own growlers and they will fill you up for take out brews as well.

On top of that, speciality liquor stores are everywhere with tons of ales. Really easy to find sours, golden ales, blondes, bourbon ales, barleywine, and my personal favourite, all the Belgians you can want. It never used to be like this but if you like a nice brew it's pretty easy now.

In my neck of the woods you've got Progress, Smog City Brewing, HighPoint, Old Stump, Alosta, Homage, to name a few. If you check out their websites you can see what they have and it's always changing. But there are literally hundreds. Also because the weather is usually really nice setting up tables outside and keeping COVID safe is relatively easy to do.

I've been really impressed with the US craft beer scene every time I've been over in the last decade. It feels more independent than in the UK, with some of the better known British craft breweries getting bought out.

BTW, where are you in LA? My wife grew up in the valley and went to UCLA. Her folks have since moved to Chicago, so we don't get over to the west coast, although we are overdue a visit.

Have gone big on cocktails for Friday Drinks and tried a new one last week - Desert Cooler. Dry gin, cherry brandy (really!), orange juice and ginger ale. It works, although it doesn't sound like it ought to.....

Have gone big on cocktails for Friday Drinks and tried a new one last week - Desert Cooler. Dry gin, cherry brandy (really!), orange juice and ginger ale. It works, although it doesn't sound like it ought to.....

Sounds superb!
Crabbies used?
And what quantitities of each to make each pint of this ?

Wow, sounds like it is thriving then! More than enough places to keep you busy by the sound of it.

I think Firestone Walker are California-based and have a collaborative beer with the excellent Thornbridge over here, Pomodora I think it's called. It's a tasty one.