Your best ever tics 11 | Page 2 | Vital Football

Your best ever tics 11

I'd thought about all of those (and remember, I had a big period of not watching from about 90 to 2004, so didn't really see Martinez, Liddle and De Vos) and I'd have put in Ellington and Roberts together, but nor separately.

The one I had forgotten about is Wilson No-Neck. After Valencia, he's probably our best ever player ................ in for Bullard ........ OH BUGGER !!!!! :arrghh:

I didn't realise it was 14 years Moonay, did you go anywhere else during that time?

I'd thought about all of those (and remember, I had a big period of not watching from about 90 to 2004, so didn't really see Martinez, Liddle and De Vos) and I'd have put in Ellington and Roberts together, but not separately.

The one I had forgotten about is Wilson No-Neck. After Valencia, he's probably our best ever player ................ in for Bullard ........ OH BUGGER !!!!! :arrghh:

I wasn't watching when Martinez was in Division 3 so wont comment on that, but saw him in Division 2 and from what i saw he wasn't really up to that level. He seemed a bit lightweight and seemed to often draift out of games. I don't think many people felt he was a huge loss when he left but folks were sad to see him go.

Liddell was superb in Div 2 but started to find it harder in the Championship maybe due to age, injuries slowing him down or the increase in competition. It was gutting to see a legend leave but when we allowed him to go it he was only going to be a back up and we weren't going to finacailly push to keep him when he had better offers.

DeVos was as dominent in both boxes in Division 2, he got something like 11 goals from set pieces. But his lack of pace was exposed in the Championship and much like Liddell it was disapointing to see such a great servant go but it was almost certainly the right call we needed to improve in that position.

They all had their moments in the lower leagues but if you are trying to pull out the best players on overall ability you probably couldn't include them in a best ever. But on who you liked best at the time all 3 would probably feature highly.

We almost need 2 alternative versions - technically the best which will likely be picked from the Prem years then a seperate personal favourites where people can pick who they liked the most and their compatative impacts aren't judged by the quality of the league it was in.

We almost need 2 alternative versions - technically the best which will likely be picked from the Prem years then a seperate personal favourites where people can pick who they liked the most and their compatative impacts aren't judged by the quality of the league it was in.

Only 2 KDZ? .......... I picked 5 (with a few overlaps. and still had others I'd have loved to include.

My "best at standard" was meant to be cover where a player shone in a lower league, and yet obviously weren't/wouldn't necessarily be great in the Prem. Jordi was one (in Championship), Dan Burn another (in League 1) and the best example is Colin Methven (in the old 3 & 4). Made the league team every year.

I didn't see us non-league, but I would understand why Walgarth etc would want some of those stars in their "favourite team", if not the "best" ........... so maybe "best at standard" helps draw that balance.

An impossible task though.

Best non league players I think were David Gaskell former Man Utd Goalkeeper Derek Temple former Everton Harry Lyon who scored more goals than Messi

Best non league players I think were David Gaskell former Man Utd Goalkeeper Derek Temple former Everton Harry Lyon who scored more goals than Messi
Fleming and Davies were a pretty good partnership, happy days.
Larry Lloyds team were deadly with the near post corner not sure if it was Sheldon who took the corner or headed it on to Lloyd, Barrow Bradd might have been Methven as well, invariably scored, the sorry efforts we witness nowadays except for Dunks are a disgrace.

Remember Temple playing at Kirkby for us and one spectator giving him a mouthful, we got a throw in front of this gobby bloke and Temple took it giving gobby an "accidental" poke with his elbow whilst attempting a long throw.

Fleming and Davies were a pretty good partnership, happy days.
Larry Lloyds team were deadly with the near post corner not sure if it was Sheldon who took the corner or headed it on to Lloyd, Barrow Bradd might have been Methven as well, invariably scored, the sorry efforts we witness nowadays except for Dunks are a disgrace.
From a v. little lad (at the time) memories sure it was Larry at the front post and Colin flying in at the back to bury the flick on - was a long time ago though 😂

"Were where you when we were (really) shit" 😂
Came back for the prem gloryhunt obvs 😉
Moonay - outed as a part timer well i never !

Erm ...... it's "Where were?" ;)

I've always been straight up about that. I remember posting about it at least twice before.

I just got pissed off. Over the past couple of seasons, we'd sold a full team of cracking young players - Glenn, Walsh, Butler, Lowe, Langley, Kelly, Quinn, Aspinall, Jewell, Newell, from the top of my head - and I was just disillusioned.

It didn't help that I went (for the only time ever) to a Utd game at OT with a mate who lived in Manchester, and it cost less to get in there than it did at Springfield Park. For a few seasons, I followed our local village team, as a couple of mates played in it, but I didn't watch "pro" stuff.

As I said, the reason for coming back was purely the little one. No way was he going to follow them men. It helped that we won promotion that first season, as he's been a mad keen fan ever since.

So, yep, part timer and proud. ;)

When i
Erm ...... it's "Where were?";)

I've always been straight up about that. I remember posting about it at least twice before.

I just got pissed off. Over the past couple of seasons, we'd sold a full team of cracking young players - Glenn, Walsh, Butler, Lowe, Langley, Kelly, Quinn, Aspinall, Jewell, Newell, from the top of my head - and I was just disillusioned.

It didn't help that I went (for the only time ever) to a Utd game at OT with a mate who lived in Manchester, and it cost less to get in there than it did at Springfield Park. For a few seasons, I followed our local village team, as a couple of mates played in it, but I didn't watch "pro" stuff.

As I said, the reason for coming back was purely the little one. No way was he going to follow them men. It helped that we won promotion that first season, as he's been a mad keen fan ever since.

So, yep, part timer and proud. ;)

Knew you'd pick up on my "genuine" comprehension mistake - single maggot always works a treat 🎣 😂

Fully understand the disillusionment and felt it myself but went for the lads craic rather than the footy until big Dave rocked up.

Also fully understand not wishing the next gen to go darkside 👍👏

However - admitting under no duress to (and i can hardly type it) paying in to old trafford - my god - the sinning is getting worse 🙈
(unless of course it's a double bluff fishing trip 🤔)
If true it's a straight 🔴 card offence and Morsy length ban with points deduction thrown in.

Knew you'd pick up on my "genuine" comprehension mistake - single maggot always works a treat 🎣 😂

A maggot is a maggot. Never look a gift maggot in the mouth. ;)

However - admitting under no duress to (and i can hardly type it) paying in to old trafford - my god - the sinning is getting worse 🙈
(unless of course it's a double bluff fishing trip 🤔)
If true it's a straight 🔴 card offence and Morsy length ban with points deduction thrown in.

Straight up. I've no further defence. I remained miserable all match though. :innocent:

Remembering the Larry Lloyd front post corners brought to mind another "hero" ..... for a few games at least. Mark Wignall (from Bamber Bridge I think). He scored an absolute 20 yd blinder in a League Cup game against Chelsea ( I think). In fact, I think it was the same game that Chelsea brought on Mickey Droy, and Lloyd bullied him all over the place.

Thinking about Lloyd, he should also be in the "best at standard" team, though God knows who instead of !

I think it was the same game that Chelsea brought on Mickey Droy, and Lloyd bullied him all over the place.

Mickey Droy did come on as substitute and replaced Graham Wilkins.
Future Latics Manager Chris Hutchings played at the back for Chelsea that night.

As I said at the start,this is difficult and i've had to leave some good players/favourites out. But here is my best football league 11 including a few favourites,since watching the tics(not including players I picked in my all time best 11 who also played in the football league).I couldn't fit Gomez and Powell in the same side and thought Gomez would fit into my 442 formation better:

Carroll
Bradshaw,Jackson,Maguire,Warnock
Liddell,Gomez,McArthur,McColloch
Ellington,G.Jones

Its easy to forget just how many fantastic players we've had down the years! Things like this are great reminders, especially at the current time! I'm going to (try to) base mine on how they played for us and the opposition level, not how they faired before or after or in lower leagues (so ruling out Maguire for example). Plus, I only got into football and started following about 2005, so i'm not going to include players before that because I don't think I can properly judge from highlights and youtube clips (sorry De Vos, Liddell and other legends of yesteryear. Also means i'm having to leave out the famous Ellington-Roberts partnership as I never got to properly enjoy it). Also excluding loan stars (so no Zaki or Reece James either, as fantastically talented as they were. If i was to include them though, Zaki would replace Grigg on the bench (would start instead of Heskey if not for the second half of the season slump and attitude issues), and James would replace Melchiot who would replace Figueroa on the bench. A tough call, but even though Melchiot was great for us in the prem, James carried us through an entire Championship season despite it being his first professional season and showing frightening ability).

So, playing 4-2-3-1, co-managed by both Paul Jewell and Bobby Martinez -

GK - Al-Habsi

RB - Melchiot
CB - Boyce and De Zeeuw
LB - Baines

CM - Bullard and Scharner
RM - Valencia
LM - Maloney
CAM/CF - Powell

STR - Heskey

Subs - Kirkland, Figueroa, Chimbonda, Watson, N'Zogbia, McManaman, Grigg

That was ruddy hard and took a lot of drafting up! Apologies to the likes of Roberts, Camara, Teale, Kilbane, McCulloch and other tics who served us well during my era of watching and just missed the cut.

I'll admit Watson and McManaman pipped others to the bench because of the FA Cup final before I'm picked up on it, although they were decent enough for us overall. Performing under the pressure they did to win us the cup adds points on, so thats my validation for those two! And for Grigg, I know he struggled in the Championship for both us and other teams (even though his first season for us was blighted by our managerial changes and issues) but I maintain that his stats for the second Championship season were actually respectable (before everyone in the team got injured and the great form/momentum we carried up from Lg1 collapsed and we sold him). Plus, that goal against Man City proves he can do it against the big teams, right!?

Happy 18th birthday to Joe Gelhardt today!
The fact that he signed a new contract with us,when he could've easily gone elsewhere shows he is happy at our Club.I just really hope we get to see him again in a tics shirt.That way this pandemic won't go on for too long and not force us to think about selling him just to keep the Club alive.
He's such an exciting prospect with a seemingly great attitude which is also so important.He has that natural ability to create space in tight areas,plus he can terrorise defences both running with the ball and with his dribbling skills.He has an eye for a pass,a great shot on him from distance and can finish.He is also strong and stocky for a lad still growing and developing,so even at this early stage of his career he won't be bullied and pushed off the ball easily by opponents.
Hopefully one day maybe Joffy will be in contention to be part of a best ever tics team,he certainly has massive potential if he keeps on progressing.But he still has a long way to go to even be considered as he is only right at the start of his professional football journey.
All the best Joffy!