Your best ever tics 11 | Vital Football

Your best ever tics 11

You are my sunshine

Vital Reserves Team
Just wondering if posters had to pick their best ever tics 11,what it would be?It's not easy as we've had some excellent players over the years!
Mine would be in a 4231 formation:
Ali
R.James,Boyce,De Zeeuw,Baines
Palacios, Bullard
Valencia,Maloney,N Zogbia
J.Roberts

Much too hard mate to pick eleven.
I'd need at least 3 players for each position and still have a coach load on the bench.

Best? Favourite? Best at the relevant standard? Best as a team?
When I posted mine it was IMO the best players we have ever had at the Club in my 30 or so years of watching the tics.The fact Bullard and Roberts were a couple of favourites(as well as being superb players for us) probably convinced me to put them in over others.
You can do all 4 suggestions if you wish as can other posters.

It'll take some thinking about. Like you say, they're probably 4 different teams. That way, Colin Methven and Peter Houghton get a look in. Busy for much of tomorrow, but I'll be back. 😉

Sorry, but I can't limit to eleven players so I have named two teams. I could quite easily have picked a 3rd set of eleven.

Al Habsi(Kirkland)
Melchiot (Chimbonda), De Zeeeuw (De Vos), Boyce (Atherton), Baines (Figueroa),
Valencia (Maloney), Powell (Kelly), James (loan) (Bullard) , Moses (Gomez)
Roberts (Zaki), Ellington (Grigg).

Ellington was one of the best had everything Bullard had the best engine run for ever So many good players over the years It’s hard to compare .so Many good players even in none league days. 1970: none league team was as good as any team I have seen play for entertainment

This would be my best XI with a smattering of personal favourites. Some I've left out maybe deserve to be in, but I refuse to include as I haven't forgiven them for past indiscretions (looking at you Chimbonda). It's very "Whelan era centric", but that saw us play at the highest level and as such attract our best ever players ability wise to the club.

Al Habsi
Boyce De Zeeuw (c) Scharner, Baines
Palacios Bullard
Valencia N'Zogbia McCullogh
Roberts

On another day I might forgive Ellington and slot him in a 4-4-2, leaving out N'Zogbia. But I loved Charlie and Ellington is a greedy tosser. Boyce and McCullogh may not be at the standard of the rest, but get in as two of my personal favourites. Palacios first name on the teamsheet as he's the best to ever wear the shirt for me. Really sad how his career turned out.

An impossible task ........ even for 4 teams ................ so I ended up with 5:

Best
Ali
Melchiot Alcaraz De Zeeuw Figueroa
Valencia Bullard N'Zogbia
Rodallega Zaki Maloney

Best at standard (ie when in lower league)
Jasskeleinen
James Burn Methven Baines
Valencia Gomez Wildschut
Powell Grigg Quinn (M)

Best as a team
Filan
Chimbonda Henchoz De Zeeuw Beausejour
McArthur McCarthy McCulloch
Valencia Heskey N'Zogbia

Favourite
Ali
Boyce Methven De Zeeuw Figueroa
Bullard Gomez McCulloch
Rodallega Camara Maloney

Couldn’t fit in
Pollitt
McMahon Ward Ramis Hinnigan
Wright Kelly Watson
Houghton Shearer McManaman

See. Bloody impossible.

An impossible task ........ even for 4 teams ................ so I ended up with 5:

Best
Ali
Melchiot Alcaraz De Zeeuw Figueroa
Valencia Bullard N'Zogbia
Rodallega Zaki Maloney

Best at standard (ie when in lower league)
Jasskeleinen
James Burn Methven Baines
Valencia Gomez Wildschut
Powell Grigg Quinn (M)

Best as a team
Filan
Chimbonda Henchoz De Zeeuw Beausejour
McArthur McCarthy McCulloch
Valencia Heskey N'Zogbia

Favourite
Ali
Boyce Methven De Zeeuw Figueroa
Bullard Gomez McCulloch
Rodallega Camara Maloney

Couldn’t fit in
Pollitt
McMahon Ward Ramis Hinnigan
Wright Kelly Watson
Houghton Shearer McManaman

See. Bloody impossible.

It is very difficult Moonay as you say, five teams, and still no room for Ellington, Roberts, De Vos, Kirkland, Robinson, Atherton, Moses, Carroll, Liddle, Lowe, Martinez, or Scharner

I just cant pick a best team but in my opinion
Best ever keeper Ali Al Habsi
Most charismatic Jimmy Bullard
Best defender Arjan Deezuw
Best midfielder Wilson Palacios
Best striker Nathan Ellington
Superstar Reece James
Best manager Paul Jewell

Lots of people mention Palcios when we do lists like this, but was he that good really, or did he just try harder in the 12 games he played for us once Spurs showed an interests. I don't remember him being that outstanding in the previous 25 games.
Here's a full list to see if you have forgot anyone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Wigan_Athletic_F.C._players

Lots of people mention Palcios when we do lists like this, but was he that good really, or did he just try harder in the 12 games he played for us once Spurs showed an interests. I don't remember him being that outstanding in the previous 25 games.
Here's a full list to see if you have forgot anyone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Wigan_Athletic_F.C._players

I actually thought in his first season he was outstanding but his second season when he left he wasn't performing to the same level. In theory i genuinely didn't mind selling him to Spurs for 12m I thought that was a good price but I was very upset we did it against Bruce's wishes as that was when it all fell apart. We had a great thing going and the sale of Palaciois over Bruce's head seemed to break Bruce's enthusiasm and it all went to waste. We should've finished in top 7 that season but we stopped playing in January. At the time I was desperatly upset at the decision as i felt it was a pivotal moment that we would regret and i still feel that was one of biggest mistakes in our history.

Last edited:
It is very difficult Moonay as you say, five teams, and still no room for Ellington, Roberts, De Vos, Kirkland, Robinson, Atherton, Moses, Carroll, Liddle, Lowe, Martinez, or Scharner

I'd thought about all of those (and remember, I had a big period of not watching from about 90 to 2004, so didn't really see Martinez, Liddle and De Vos) and I'd have put in Ellington and Roberts together, but not separately.

The one I had forgotten about is Wilson No-Neck. After Valencia, he's probably our best ever player ................ in for Bullard ........ OH BUGGER !!!!! :arrghh:

Last edited: