Your all time top 5 best matches of watching the tics | Vital Football

Your all time top 5 best matches of watching the tics

You are my sunshine

Vital Reserves Team
It's not easy as there are so many,but if posters had to pick their top 5 matches in the time that they have been watching the tics,what would they be.

As I said it's difficult as I've had to leave out some cracking matches/memories.In my 30 or so years watching the tics I've gone for:

1.FA Cup final v Man City 2013
2.Reading home 2004-05
3.Sheff Utd away 2006-07
4.Man City home FA Cup last 16 2018
5.Torquay away 1996-97

It is extremely tough,which just goes to show what a special club we all support,with so many great memories and matches to choose from up to now.What a rollercoaster ride it is following the tics!

Curveball here cos you're too young.. Man City away FA Cup Jan. 70

A non- league team took the best team in England so very close. It was a privilege to stand with 15,000 Wigginers that day.
Yep. Before my time.

That's why I wanted to include some old games though. Aldershot game was shit really, but as our first promotion, it was magical.

First half, aye............... Second?

PS. Cos I forgot about it !

But the half was the best I ever witnessed and that goes back to mid 60s....deserves be in owd fettler.

Don't forget this Newcastle side had just been to Stamford Bridge and destroyed Chelsea. They didn't know what hit um that day.

Edit..no Newcastle went to Chelsea 4 days after Wigan but were on a 6 match winning run when we handed them their arses on a platter.

Last edited:
Best ever witnessed?.......no argument from me there fettled.

My only whinge is that I was in the south stand back then, and all the goals were at the other end. ☹️

Beating City at the DW in the FA Cup fifth round 2018, that game had everything you'd ever want from a football match.

I've seen some belters over the years, too many to mention, but that one tops the lot for me!
I spent the majority of that game hoping we weren't going to concede double figures .............. and then experienced the longest 10 mins of my life ............. but the emotion at the final whistle certainly deserves a mention !

Isn't it funny how none of us have mentioned the 2014 cup tie at their place ...... unbelievable win.

YAMS, 5 was never enough !
;)

I spent the majority of that game hoping we weren't going to concede double figures ..............

Always had that sneaky feeling we'd do em, honestly!

All the lads at work trying to take the piss kept mentioning double figures, cricket scores etc, i just said "we'll see"........... And we did. :wahey:

The most nerve racking was when the 4th official put 4 minutes up for injury time and the ref played six hand a half. I was going f***ing bonkers bro. Phew!

They tried everything to screw us but we refused to be beat Arsenal away in Carling Cup.

Battle of Brammel Lane. Pure drama.

Back from the dead against Arsenal at home. Miracles can happen.

Newcastle first half demolition. Possibly the best ever performance.

Reading promotion day. Sealed the deal.

Special mention to Chesterfield away for being woeful for 80 mins then turning into Barcelona and winning from 2-0 down. The deepest of lows to the highest of highs in record time.

Having only been to about 33 games not a massive amount to go on.

1. City FA cup final 2013
2. 3 0 villa 2019
3. Barnsley 1- 4 for the title 2016
4. Cardiff 3 2 2019
5. Blackburn 3 0 2016

That West Ham last home game in 2011 was another classic match.We needed to win to take it to the last day and have any hope of staying up.We looked dead and buried 0-2 down at half time,but that 2nd half was unbelievable,inspired by the superb N'Zogbia.We got it back to 2-2 and I remember the last 10 minutes being end to end like a basketball game as both sides needed to win.
Cue complete pandemonium in the home ends when Charlie cut inside and hit that shot under Green.That alone is up there with the best tics moments for me,due to the timing of the goal and how crucial it was.All the footballing emotions possible were experienced and condensed into 95 minutes.
It made it even sweeter the fact that it relegated West Ham with their constant snobbish small crowd rhetoric towards us and getting revenge for that Brian Deane goal in 2004.Additionally karma for Rob Green.Firstly he should've saved the shot and as Hampton said in another thread I remember him gesticulating to the East stand 'going down' although I was sure it was in a match a couple of years previous against them.
More euphoric scenes at the final whistle from the tics fans as we were still alive in the survival race from literally looking doomed at half time!Cracking memories!
(The match the following week at Stoke wasn't bad either in one of the most dramatic final days the Prem relegation battle has ever seen!)😉

Last edited:
Latics 4 V Stafford Rangers 1 (offside trap bastards) Xmas 70 I think , crucial crushing win against a close rival
Latics 3 v West Ham 2 (best second half ever....or was it better than Port vale ??)
PNE 2 v Latics 4 Roberts debut, and great goals from Ellington and Teale.

Latics 4 v Newcastle 0.....yes it was one half, but the best ever

I genuinely think there are just too many candidates for match #5