You'll never beat Des Walker | Vital Football

You'll never beat Des Walker

ZedRed

Vital Football Legend
Nice to see a lot of people online getting nostalgic about Des Walker following the playing of the Italia '90 semi-final on BBC last night.

Better than Terry, Ferdinand and Campbell?

8EA2C3C7-138D-4307-869C-A52D46B3AD39.jpeg

If you were to ask what image sums up my life as a Forest fan, I’d like to say the league cup finals, McGregors penalty rebound, Clough holding hands with that shitehawk Venables, Clough’s final game, Stan at Peterborough or KING BILL, even Psycho at Euro 96 but no it’d be Des crying in Sheffield.

Do you think it would have been fair to say that there was a point where he was probably the best CB in the world after Baresi?

I was a bit young then, so didn't pay as much attention to defenders!

View attachment 38704

If you were to ask what image sums up my life as a Forest fan, I’d like to say the league cup finals, McGregors penalty rebound, Clough holding hands with that shitehawk Venables, Clough’s final game, Stan at Peterborough or KING BILL, even Psycho at Euro 96 but no it’d be Des crying in Sheffield.
I hate that picture!

Do you think it would have been fair to say that there was a point where he was probably the best CB in the world after Baresi?

For a short period in time he was certainly up there. If you watch him through Italia 90 he was one of the best players of the whole tournament.

I suppose thinking about it rationally, you'd have Brehme as number 1 for that season, Pearce the season after and then Maldini for the next several seasons. Some might throw Roberto Carlos in to the mix later, but he was overrated IMO.

Yes, in fact possibly the best in the world for a while