You have 2 years......... | Page 2 | Vital Football

You have 2 years.........

Parker and Ledley.

Parker for sure ... not sold on Ledley yet. Yes he was a Spurs Legend...but we all know that sometimes players don't do very well at coaching...I have not seen much improvement in our defense...we are all over the place.

Of course...we don't know how much influence JM has placed on him...

Some great reading here.

But until Levy steps away from making footballing decisions on the pitch thing's will never change.

As 80 said, apart from making a budget for the season he shouldn't be anywhere near the football side of things. 20 years of evidence shows he doesn't have a clue what he is doing.

On Muttleys point about Parker... I think I must be the only person who doesn't think Rafa or Rodgers are a good way forward. Above all, I think Parker appeals to me because he really knows this club, has been a player and coach for us but he has a great footballing brain, was always a unifying character in a team and was firm but fair as a captain. It's possibly too larger a step up for him but I think I'd take that risk.

On Meee's point about a DoF. You are right. I'm always really torn on the idea because it creates another point of failure. The reason why I personally think the head coach/manager should have a choice if they work under one is because a head coach then feels like it is a part of their commitment to fully adopt that hierarchial system, rather than if it was suddenly put upon them by a micro-managing chairman. Some coaches love having that DoF safety net but some want more control. Also, it very much depends on the chairman and how involved they want to be in the footballing side.

I am massively uncertain about all of these managers names. That is why the club need to pull together a tiger team to do the recruitment work. Levy should only be involved at the setup stage of the tiger team and the final interview. In between the 3 or 4 respected individuals should do a complete deep dive on what it takes to be successful as a Spurs boss. The technical director conversation should be on the table as part of this process. They need to discover what is their optimal role in relation to the manager (not the chairman).

I'm sick of Levy putting himself in the middle and finding managers that fit around him and expose his complete lack of football DNA. It is the wrong way round and a massive part of the reason why we win absolutely nothing and get to these continuous friction points.

The tiger team needs some diversity in it as well. Vertonghen or Dembele might be great candidates to work as subject matter experts. It would also need a recent manager profile and someone that is ambassadorial and steeped in the club's history. Throw in a good consultant (facilitator / project manager) to stay neutral but drive the others and document the whole process.

This tiger team would need to drill into whether someone like Parker would get railroaded by the senior pro's or whether he would thrive. Ditto with Rafa, Nagelsmann, Rodgers etc. It's a tough decision and we need to get it right this time around.

I am massively uncertain about all of these managers names. That is why the club need to pull together a tiger team to do the recruitment work. Levy should only be involved at the setup stage of the tiger team and the final interview. In between the 3 or 4 respected individuals should do a complete deep dive on what it takes to be successful as a Spurs boss. The technical director conversation should be on the table as part of this process. They need to discover what is their optimal role in relation to the manager (not the chairman).

I'm sick of Levy putting himself in the middle and finding managers that fit around him and expose his complete lack of football DNA. It is the wrong way round and a massive part of the reason why we win absolutely nothing and get to these continuous friction points.

The tiger team needs some diversity in it as well. Vertonghen or Dembele might be great candidates to work as subject matter experts. It would also need a recent manager profile and someone that is ambassadorial and steeped in the club's history. Throw in a good consultant (facilitator / project manager) to stay neutral but drive the others and document the whole process.

This tiger team would need to drill into whether someone like Parker would get railroaded by the senior pro's or whether he would thrive. Ditto with Rafa, Nagelsmann, Rodgers etc. It's a tough decision and we need to get it right this time around.
It's a difficult call. Whilst I lean towards a young, up and coming manager, it would be a very difficult task for Parker who remains relatively unproven, and who will probably be relegated, to command the level of respect necessary to be successful. Probably even more difficult for younger candidates with no Spurs links, whose success has been confined to lesser levels.
Rafa to my mind is in a long list of managers who are past their best, but keep finding a way back, but other than a more likeable personality than Mourinho, I don't think that there is that much difference. He certainly did a Mourinho at Newcastle by skillfully avoiding the fact that they constantly struggled under his management.
If Rodgers makes CL with Leicester whilst we don't, why would he even consider joining Spurs. I think that he will be at Leicester for a while yet.
A management team with strong Spurs links, that will command respect throughout the Club has to be the way forward. That's why I've opted for a combination of Hoddle as DOF, and Klinsmann as manager with Ledley as his assistant.

There is some excellent reads on this thread, thanks 80 for the thread, but it still feels to me that Spurs are "Every which way but lose" "right turn Clyde" sorry lol!

[QUOTE="SmithAndJones, post: 2798874, member: 144974"
A management team with strong Spurs links, that will command respect throughout the Club has to be the way forward. That's why I've opted for a combination of Hoddle as DOF, and Klinsmann as manager with Ledley as his assistant.[/QUOTE]

All this "must find a manager steeped in Spurs history" is a load of bollocks!
Spurs legends that fitted that frame were Ardiles & Hoddle and look what that got us. We must look outside of the box.
Next to Bill Nicholson (our greatest manager who did bleed lillywhite), Keith Burkinshaw won more major football competitions at the club than any other Spurs manager.
Burkinshaw, a Yorkshireman, came to Spurs in 1975 after being sacked by Newcastle. A young forty year old and with a relatively short management career, with no Spurs history. That needs to be repeated!
Now is the time to take similar action! Step outside the box. Appoint a young home-grown, vibrant, ambitious, new breed, exciting manager ,with an aggressive intelligent football philosophy,
That guy is Graham Potter: age 45, born Solihull (midlands), no Spurs history (baggage ??), professional football management career spans eleven years, came up through the lower ranks, currently has PL experience with BHA. All good grounding.
Levy has to be advised to go 'home-grown', stop looking at 'names' and bite the bullet, do a Burkinshaw.....

[QUOTE="SmithAndJones, post: 2798874, member: 144974"
A management team with strong Spurs links, that will command respect throughout the Club has to be the way forward. That's why I've opted for a combination of Hoddle as DOF, and Klinsmann as manager with Ledley as his assistant.

All this "must find a manager steeped in Spurs history" is a load of bollocks!
Spurs legends that fitted that frame were Ardiles & Hoddle and look what that got us. We must look outside of the box.
Next to Bill Nicholson (our greatest manager who did bleed lillywhite), Keith Burkinshaw won more major football competitions at the club than any other Spurs manager.
Burkinshaw, a Yorkshireman, came to Spurs in 1975 after being sacked by Newcastle. A young forty year old and with a relatively short management career, with no Spurs history. That needs to be repeated!
Now is the time to take similar action! Step outside the box. Appoint a young home-grown, vibrant, ambitious, new breed, exciting manager ,with an aggressive intelligent football philosophy,
That guy is Graham Potter: age 45, born Solihull (midlands), no Spurs history (baggage ??), professional football management career spans eleven years, came up through the lower ranks, currently has PL experience with BHA. All good grounding.
Levy has to be advised to go 'home-grown', stop looking at 'names' and bite the bullet, do a Burkinshaw.....[/QUOTE]
We were also relegated under Burkinshaw albeit that was in his first season and he did get us back up the following year. He had a pretty mediocre managerial career after he left us though.

Too late mate
I agree if he wants his version of a realistic valuation. However it has gone downhill so rapidly that he has 2 choices. Cut and run and take the hit, or provide funds to get this debacle sorted. The loan funds to be used for removal of JM and his staff, and then planned acquisitions based on the requirements of a new management team. The aim must be to return to CL football within at most 3 years. Then after that time with that in the bag, a stable team on the pitch, a stable management team, wonderful stadium and tremendous training facilities all of the boxes are ticked. Then he recovers his loan and sells at top dollar.
The biggest drawback by far is who would choose the new manager as I’m afraid DL’s judgement here cannot be relied on. Maybe Joe should insist on a proven DoF who must set the football philosophy with his (DoF’s) choice of manager, taking account of the footballing traditions of the club.

It's a difficult call. Whilst I lean towards a young, up and coming manager, it would be a very difficult task for Parker who remains relatively unproven, and who will probably be relegated, to command the level of respect necessary to be successful. Probably even more difficult for younger candidates with no Spurs links, whose success has been confined to lesser levels.
Rafa to my mind is in a long list of managers who are past their best, but keep finding a way back, but other than a more likeable personality than Mourinho, I don't think that there is that much difference. He certainly did a Mourinho at Newcastle by skillfully avoiding the fact that they constantly struggled under his management.
If Rodgers makes CL with Leicester whilst we don't, why would he even consider joining Spurs. I think that he will be at Leicester for a while yet.

Glenn basically died and was miraculously brought back to life. He does not need any stress in his life.
Klinsmann is getting on now.
Ledley is not ready and may never be, he can't sort our defence out and is out of his depth.

Glenn basically died and was miraculously brought back to life. He does not need any stress in his life.
Klinsmann is getting on now.
Ledley is not ready and may never be, he can't sort our defence out and is out of his depth.
I think the biggest problem with Ledley is simple....Moaninasarous, after all how many times have we had a ditto defence, it is forever being changed....
Ledley is not being given the chance to do/coach what he knows best, how to defend!
Thus almost certainly keeps his gob shut or he will be for the highway.
That's my opinion anyway.

Massive and I mean MASSIVE changes need to take place in order to start turning this thing around. Hell the turn itself could take a season or two...

The question now takes on a whole new dimension.

We should keep this thread alive but answer it as we come to the end of the season?