You have 2 years......... | Vital Football

You have 2 years.........

D

Departed

You have 2 years to run the club, Instead of knee jerk reactions and bullshit "President for a Day" questions and responses, lay out a strategic plan for the club that you would implement to move us into the on-the-pitch elite level of football.

IF you need more than two years take it.

And no pusillanimous responses. Plans of action only.

Never give up!!

Day 1, let Jose go, take the hit - or publicly shame him into quitting somehow, play him at his own game. Bring in a manager who can repair some of the bonds between players. Get them enjoying their jobs again rather than fearing mistakes. Show them all the times Spurs have triumphed against the odds, all the times games were turned on their heads and where even if we didn't bring home silverware we finished with our heads held high. Dismiss the idea that there's something rotten at the clubs core and that Spursy is a self fulfilling prophecy. Show them "Spursy" doesn't do what we did vs Ajax, or go unbeaten at home for a full season, we don't bottle every opportunity to win - they just call it bottling when we lose and it's bullshit. Bring the pride back that we were building but threw away after the CL final defeat. If HR still has enough about him, get him back with an enthusiastic coaching team who like to laugh and work hard til the end of the season.

Then end of the season bring in a manager who wants to improve players and has an attacking philosophy and isn't reliant on keeping clean sheets to win games as we're not getting them too often. That Argie one we were monitoring before, not kept tabs if he's still ripping it up in South America or not but liked the sound of him, or Nagelsmann if he'll come. Go back to the tried and tested formula of scouting exciting young talent and bringing them through a couple at a time and mixing them in with decent experienced players.

freund hit it on the nail there, bring back and coach BELIEF! simple in themselves and each other, which then adds up to CONFIDENCE/ENJOYMENT, with them three factors in the game we fans will see it and start to enjoy ourselves again.

1. Open a crowd funding to sack Jose.
2. Call netflix to make a documentation about the sacking of Jose
3. Organise an event to celebrate the sacking of Jose
4. present Dele, Bale and Toby as new transfers

just the first 3 days. didnt have time for more :-)

I don't know about two years, will we be in CL, Europa League, or Europa Conference over that period, each creates a different scenario. There are however a number of steps that could be taken, or more likely must be taken before the start of next season;

- Terminate Mourinho immediately and replace with interim coach who can provide the team with sufficient encouragement and guidance to maybe win the Carabao Cup. I'd go for Glenn Hoddle, the damage is already done, but we won't be relegated, so its not a stressful role.

- Resolve naming rights issue.

- Raise 200 ML plus in transfer market, via the sale of Kane, Dele, Winks, Dier and Sanchez.

- Also get rid of other players who won't fetch much, but are worth getting off the payroll. Lamela, Sissoko, and Bale come to mind,

- Boost stadium income via extensive schedule of events to commence post COVID in 2022.

- Appoint new Director of Football, First Team Coach, and Assistant Coach prior to new pre season training, preferably with Spurs background.

- I'd go for Hoddle, Klinsmann and King.

- Make 150 ML available to new management team for investment in new players.

Last edited:
Day 1, let Jose go, take the hit - or publicly shame him into quitting somehow, play him at his own game. Bring in a manager who can repair some of the bonds between players. Get them enjoying their jobs again rather than fearing mistakes. Show them all the times Spurs have triumphed against the odds, all the times games were turned on their heads and where even if we didn't bring home silverware we finished with our heads held high. Dismiss the idea that there's something rotten at the clubs core and that Spursy is a self fulfilling prophecy. Show them "Spursy" doesn't do what we did vs Ajax, or go unbeaten at home for a full season, we don't bottle every opportunity to win - they just call it bottling when we lose and it's bullshit. Bring the pride back that we were building but threw away after the CL final defeat. If HR still has enough about him, get him back with an enthusiastic coaching team who like to laugh and work hard til the end of the season.

Then end of the season bring in a manager who wants to improve players and has an attacking philosophy and isn't reliant on keeping clean sheets to win games as we're not getting them too often. That Argie one we were monitoring before, not kept tabs if he's still ripping it up in South America or not but liked the sound of him, or Nagelsmann if he'll come. Go back to the tried and tested formula of scouting exciting young talent and bringing them through a couple at a time and mixing them in with decent experienced players.
👏👏👏

Daniel Levy has taken Tottenham Hotspur to a point where the move to the elite level of football is within reach. Covid has set us back and taken any opportunity that a manager who needs money to win away.

So where do we go from here?

What assets do we have at our disposal?

• The Academy
  • The world class stadium
  • A winning manager
  • 3-4 young players to build a team around

What liabilities do we have to be concerned about?

• 300 million in additional debt
  • An owner with no distinguishable strategy for the football playing side of the business
  • A miserable manager
  • A micromanager running the entire operation
  • No winning pedigree (current)

The first thing that needs to happen is a clear and unalterable direction that the football style should move toward. This should be maintained and the entire organization from top to bottom should be populated with people who have this style ingrained in them. Including the scouting staff.

Secondly, a DoF should be employed who can implement this style and the culture necessary to deliver it. While the DoF may change, the mandate associated with the position should never change. Personnel will change over time but our direction shouldn’t. The DoF should expand our international scouting operations to look for international flair players. As we are all aware, this will help with building our global brand.

Included in this is Levy’s removal from football operations. And I include negotiations on contracts here because I feel we have lost potential players over exasperation more than anything else. Levy can set budgets. That’s all the control he needs.

Once this is accomplished,we can start to move forward and stop looking at players and other personnel who don’t fit the mould. At that point, we hire and fire based on performance but without having to overhaul the squad to move forward.

We do need to deal with the accumulated Covid related debt issue. Massive wage increases for the players will have to wait for at least 24 months which will mean we will lose some of our 27-year-olds who need that big contract.

The UK is close to coming out of Covid restricted football. Mourinho will not likely survive the in-stadium wrath of a lot of supporters. Whether or not you want to keep him (as I would) it has gone too far to remedy. UNLESS, MAYBE, we make top 4. CL football with fans back in the stands will accelerate our emergence from the burden of additional Covid debt much more quickly than anything else. However, Mourinho is a short-term issue. He either does the job or he doesn’t.

Doing this would set us on a path that everyone understands. And if everyone buys in they will have the patience to see it through, supporters included. Setbacks would be taken in stride. Accomplishments would be the result of a plan so as such, well deserved.

That’s all I want. Direction with the right people to make it happen at the top. Without that direction it’s groundhog day. After 20 years you would think Daniel Levy would have figured this out.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • I think my first act would be to hold a meeting with every footballing staff member. Every single one. From Head coach to kit man. I'd want to get to a) get to know every cog in the machine and b) see what personalities fit or don't fit with my vision going forward.
  • I would then spend a day watching training videos. The next day I would then watch the training sessions in person. Then the following day I would watch the training sessions from inside the training centre building. That way I should get a decent idea of how people train when under the watchful eye of the chairman, compared to how they train when being filmed and when they aren't aware they are being watched/recorded.
  • I would then hold another meeting with Mourinho and his coaches to hear their personal take on the squad.
  • I would give Mourinho and his team 3 games - Everton, Saints and then the City cup final. Within this time I feel I would have a decent grasp of whether Jose was the man to stick with or if the issues are within the playing staff and Jose IS getting the best he can out of them.
Obviously, this is a bit like a choose your own adventure book from this point. So I am going to say that I decide to sack him for the sake of the spicing up the post but I would probably take very similar approaches with whoever is in charge.

• I sack Mourinho and his team but retain Ledley at the club no matter what.
  • I approach Scott Parker as my first choice of head coach. If he accepts, I make it essential that Ledder's is given a coaching role but allow Scott to choose/find his own team.
  • I give Scott 3 aims for next season - 1) Develop a footballing identity 2) Produce a proper Tottenham captain and vice captain from what is already available or source an ideal signing to fill that role 3) Create an environment of passion for the club and its history within the dressing room. Psychologically adapt the players to feel like fans of the club i.e - understand rivalries, know the proud history, feel what the fans feel towards the word Spursy.
  • I would ask Scott if he feels he would want a DoF.
  • Whatever his response I will outline my three hopes for future player acquisitions - 1) We focus on bringing in younger players who can grow with the club 2) Do not keep players when their minds are elsewhere. Plan your transfer strategies around the assumption that a player will have to be sold 1-2 years before their contract expires. Allowing players to leave on a free is not ideal and 3) If any sign of toxicity within the playing ranks starts to show, act quickly. If that means a sale is needed, do not hesitate. The immediate transfer strategy because of the Covid climate must also mean we only spend what we make from player sales. This hopefully changes as finances get back to normal and even improve. I advise to have a decent amount of back-up options so we keep a flow of fresh faces coming in to the squad, hoping to avoid stagnation.
  • I will ask Scott (and DoF if there) for a first draft transfer strategy within 2 weeks.
  • I will ask Scott for his detailed assessment on the youth team players for our next week meeting.
  • In the following meeting we will discuss what youth players Scott would like to pull up to train with the first team, if any. We will then discuss the quality of the youth we have and if he feels the club should be doing better within that area. I will then ask Scott to do a detailed report on the first team players (including the youth players he promotes) and present his analysis to me after he has had the entire team return to training for a week.
  • The following week we talk transfers. I then tell him to liase with the scouting team and continue to assess or fine tune his transfer plans whilst I or the DoF contact clubs and agents about the players. We meet continually from this point onwards, once a day, to keep each other updated.
  • Scott gives final assessment of the players he wants to buy/sell and from this point on, we buy/sell players.
  • When the season starts, I meet with Scott once a week and give him and the team space to build and grow. I do arrange meetings with players from this point onwards and I will not accept players talking to me about team related matters directly - their agent will be their voice. I do not want players personally going behind their managers back from this point on. Scott is the final word on footballing matters.
  • I then move on to FINALLY sorting out the stadium naming rights with the new guy that has been employed and I put a deadline on it for before the end of Jan 2022.
  • Our brand and media department will get a boost. Plan for a rebrand in 2024.
  • Create an even stronger online presence with a continuing push to keep up to date with all social media. Better graphics, better design, even more professional.
  • I would also like to try a "Tomorrowland" format for our foreign fans. The club would work closely with fan clubs from other countries and with our travel partners have 'GlobalSpurs' games where fan clubs can organise with the club to bring fans over en-masse for week long trips that include Skywalk, Stadium tours, training ground tour and a PL game. Basically fill a plane with Spurs fans from Aus, Canada or South Korea and give them a Spurs week. This wouldnt be every week but it would give our global fans more opportunities to come to games. (This may already be a thing, but the idea of a good portion of the crowd all having this shared experience should be great for game atmosphere.)
I think that's my over-the-top plan. I'm not a financial person so I can't comment on all that stuff.

• I think my first act would be to hold a meeting with every footballing staff member. Every single one. From Head coach to kit man. I'd want to get to a) get to know every cog in the machine and b) see what personalities fit or don't fit with my vision going forward.
  • I would then spend a day watching training videos. The next day I would then watch the training sessions in person. Then the following day I would watch the training sessions from inside the training centre building. That way I should get a decent idea of how people train when under the watchful eye of the chairman, compared to how they train when being filmed and when they aren't aware they are being watched/recorded.
  • I would then hold another meeting with Mourinho and his coaches to hear their personal take on the squad.
  • I would give Mourinho and his team 3 games - Everton, Saints and then the City cup final. Within this time I feel I would have a decent grasp of whether Jose was the man to stick with or if the issues are within the playing staff and Jose IS getting the best he can out of them.
Obviously, this is a bit like a choose your own adventure book from this point. So I am going to say that I decide to sack him for the sake of the spicing up the post but I would probably take very similar approaches with whoever is in charge.

• I approach Scott Parker as my first choice of head coach. If he accepts, I make it essential that Ledder's is given a coaching role but allow Scott to choose/find his own team.
  • I give Scott 3 aims for next season - 1) Develop a footballing identity 2) Produce a proper Tottenham captain and vice captain from what is already available or source an ideal signing to fill that role 3) Create an environment of passion for the club and its history within the dressing room. Psychologically adapt the players to feel like fans of the club i.e - understand rivalries, know the proud history, feel what the fans feel towards the word Spursy.
  • Whatever his response I will outline my three hopes for future player acquisitions - 1) We focus on bringing in younger players who can grow with the club 2) Do not keep players when their minds are elsewhere. Plan your transfer strategies around the assumption that a player will have to be sold 1-2 years before their contract expires. Allowing players to leave on a free is not ideal and 3) If any sign of toxicity within the playing ranks starts to show, act quickly. If that means a sale is needed, do not hesitate. The immediate transfer strategy because of the Covid climate must also mean we only spend what we make from player sales. This hopefully changes as finances get back to normal and even improve. I advise to have a decent amount of back-up options so we keep a flow of fresh faces coming in to the squad, hoping to avoid stagnation.
  • I will ask Scott (and DoF if there) for a first draft transfer strategy within 2 weeks.
  • I will ask Scott for his detailed assessment on the youth team players for our next week meeting.
  • In the following meeting we will discuss what youth players Scott would like to pull up to train with the first team, if any. We will then discuss the quality of the youth we have and if he feels the club should be doing better within that area. I will then ask Scott to do a detailed report on the first team players (including the youth players he promotes) and present his analysis to me after he has had the entire team return to training for a week.
  • The following week we talk transfers. I then tell him to liase with the scouting team and continue to assess or fine tune his transfer plans whilst I or the DoF contact clubs and agents about the players. We meet continually from this point onwards, once a day, to keep each other updated.
  • Scott gives final assessment of the players he wants to buy/sell and from this point on, we buy/sell players.
  • When the season starts, I meet with Scott once a week and give him and the team space to build and grow. I do arrange meetings with players from this point onwards and I will not accept players talking to me about team related matters directly - their agent will be their voice. I do not want players personally going behind their managers back from this point on. Scott is the final word on footballing matters.
  • I then move on to FINALLY sorting out the stadium naming rights with the new guy that has been employed and I put a deadline on it for before the end of Jan 2022.
  • Create an even stronger online presence with a continuing push to keep up to date with all social media. Better graphics, better design, even more professional.
  • I would also like to try a "Tomorrowland" format for our foreign fans. The club would work closely with fan clubs from other countries and with our travel partners have 'GlobalSpurs' games where fan clubs can organise with the club to bring fans over en-masse for week long trips that include Skywalk, Stadium tours, training ground tour and a PL game. Basically fill a plane with Spurs fans from Aus, Canada or South Korea and give them a Spurs week. This wouldnt be every week but it would give our global fans more opportunities to come to games. (This may already be a thing, but the idea of a good portion of the crowd all having this shared experience should be great for game atmosphere.)
I think that's my over-the-top plan. I'm not a financial person so I can't comment on all that stuff.

I'd written a similar list, additive to yours. I scrubbed the repetitive bits.

- Re-organization of the c-level of the company. Re-distribution of roles and responsibilities so we don't get into the "Levy command and control" mess again.
- Someone other than chairman to head up a small team to identify criteria and build shortlist for new manager. Appoint new manager early in summer.
- Force decision by Kane on his future by last kick of season. Take care of business of that outcome.
- Summer recruitment policy of U25's only except for GK and perhaps one centre half.
- Re-establish more open communication style with the media, with zero tolerance towards anyone of hanging people out to dry or not aligning with the THFC brand.
- Better use of the analysis team to help positive player development
- Same football philosophy implemented at every level of the club.

Not sure about Parker, but know where you're coming from. My shortlist has Rafa and Rodgers on it. I'd be a little worried about the adjustment period that Nagelsmann would have to go through.

Daniel Levy has taken Tottenham Hotspur to a point where the move to the elite level of football is within reach. Covid has set us back and taken any opportunity that a manager who needs money to win away.

So where do we go from here?

What assets do we have at our disposal?

• The Academy
  • The world class stadium
  • A winning manager
  • 3-4 young players to build a team around

What liabilities do we have to be concerned about?

• 300 million in additional debt
  • An owner with no distinguishable strategy for the football playing side of the business
  • A miserable manager
  • A micromanager running the entire operation
  • No winning pedigree (current)

The first thing that needs to happen is a clear and unalterable direction that the football style should move toward. This should be maintained and the entire organization from top to bottom should be populated with people who have this style ingrained in them. Including the scouting staff.

Secondly, a DoF should be employed who can implement this style and the culture necessary to deliver it. While the DoF may change, the mandate associated with the position should never change. Personnel will change over time but our direction shouldn’t. The DoF should expand our international scouting operations to look for international flair players. As we are all aware, this will help with building our global brand.

Included in this is Levy’s removal from football operations. And I include negotiations on contracts here because I feel we have lost potential players over exasperation more than anything else. Levy can set budgets. That’s all the control he needs.

Once this is accomplished,we can start to move forward and stop looking at players and other personnel who don’t fit the mould. At that point, we hire and fire based on performance but without having to overhaul the squad to move forward.

We do need to deal with the accumulated Covid related debt issue. Massive wage increases for the players will have to wait for at least 24 months which will mean we will lose some of our 27-year-olds who need that big contract.

The UK is close to coming out of Covid restricted football. Mourinho will not likely survive the in-stadium wrath of a lot of supporters. Whether or not you want to keep him (as I would) it has gone too far to remedy. UNLESS, MAYBE, we make top 4. CL football with fans back in the stands will accelerate our emergence from the burden of additional Covid debt much more quickly than anything else. However, Mourinho is a short-term issue. He either does the job or he doesn’t.

Doing this would set us on a path that everyone understands. And if everyone buys in they will have the patience to see it through, supporters included. Setbacks would be taken in stride. Accomplishments would be the result of a plan so as such, well deserved.

That’s all I want. Direction with the right people to make it happen at the top. Without that direction it’s groundhog day. After 20 years you would think Daniel Levy would have figured this out.
Great post.

What I'm not sure about is your continued support for Jose during this 2-year period.

He clearly can't work with this current squad and the situation is deteriorating. You've said many times he needs a pre-Covid transfer kitty to get the players he wants. That isn't going to happen in the foreseeable future. So why stick with him?

Great stuff Matic 👍

I agree with so much of this Matic. But I disagree with the DoF/manager order. To me, it is essential that the DoF is somebody who can both work with the chairman but also lives and breathes the footballing identity that we want from the team. That should be the starting point that everyone takes guidance from. So for me the manager needs to be an appointee of the DoF and somebody who can work with our DoF. Especially in the modern game, managers will come and go but the DoF should remain somewhat constant.

On Muttleys point about Parker... I think I must be the only person who doesn't think Rafa or Rodgers are a good way forward. Above all, I think Parker appeals to me because he really knows this club, has been a player and coach for us but he has a great footballing brain, was always a unifying character in a team and was firm but fair as a captain. It's possibly too larger a step up for him but I think I'd take that risk.

On Meee's point about a DoF. You are right. I'm always really torn on the idea because it creates another point of failure. The reason why I personally think the head coach/manager should have a choice if they work under one is because a head coach then feels like it is a part of their commitment to fully adopt that hierarchial system, rather than if it was suddenly put upon them by a micro-managing chairman. Some coaches love having that DoF safety net but some want more control. Also, it very much depends on the chairman and how involved they want to be in the footballing side.

Last edited:
Great post.

What I'm not sure about is your continued support for Jose during this 2-year period.

He clearly can't work with this current squad and the situation is deteriorating. You've said many times he needs a pre-Covid transfer kitty to get the players he wants. That isn't going to happen in the foreseeable future. So why stick with him?

If Jose gets us into CL. If he doesn't? Get out the jam because he's toast. I did mention I don't think it's salvageable now.

I think I could live with Scott Parker even if we were in the CL. That's the first alternative to Mourinho that has me thinking maybe.

Rodgers is not allowed anywhere near our club.

First...going to take WAY longer than 2 year to completely turn this thing around. But love the thread 80...great work.