You don't win anything with kids | Vital Football

You don't win anything with kids

The_Pon

Vital Reserves Team
Ok, so it's a little premature to talk about winning things... But some of the lads we've thrown into the first team this year are really starting to impress me.

Obviously, Kyle Joseph is the first name on the list. A hat trick last night is fair reward for how quickly he's progressed into a very capable player at this level. He also seems like a really grounded and sensible lad. I think he's got a very good career ahead of him... Hopefully, as soon as the new owners are on board, he'll get a long extension on his contract. Last thing we need is to lose another potential superstar for peanuts. I also don't think going elsewhere would do him any good right now: he's getting games and really impressing with how quickly and how much he's improving with every game.

Also, a mention for Olly Crankshaw. Far less recognition and fanfare going his way, but he's also improving dramatically and fast; couple of assists in the last couple of games, and looks to be settling very well at this level.

The other youngsters are also doing a fine job in the circumstances, and it's testament to their attitudes and work ethic that they're doing a great job in very trying circumstances with little to no experience to fall back on.

Hats off to Gregor Rioch for putting together such a strong (and deep) set of lads in the academy. Also, hats off to Leam Richardson for giving them the chances instead of delving too deeply into the loan (and emergency loan) market... I honestly think that thinks are starting to look up as the players develop and the management team looks to be as good as any we've had in quite some time, against all odds considering the budgets involved and the general circumstances around the club.

Ok, so it's a little premature to talk about winning things... But some of the lads we've thrown into the first team this year are really starting to impress me.

Obviously, Kyle Joseph is the first name on the list. A hat trick last night is fair reward for how quickly he's progressed into a very capable player at this level. He also seems like a really grounded and sensible lad. I think he's got a very good career ahead of him... Hopefully, as soon as the new owners are on board, he'll get a long extension on his contract. Last thing we need is to lose another potential superstar for peanuts. I also don't think going elsewhere would do him any good right now: he's getting games and really impressing with how quickly and how much he's improving with every game.

Also, a mention for Olly Crankshaw. Far less recognition and fanfare going his way, but he's also improving dramatically and fast; couple of assists in the last couple of games, and looks to be settling very well at this level.

The other youngsters are also doing a fine job in the circumstances, and it's testament to their attitudes and work ethic that they're doing a great job in very trying circumstances with little to no experience to fall back on.

Hats off to Gregor Rioch for putting together such a strong (and deep) set of lads in the academy. Also, hats off to Leam Richardson for giving them the chances instead of delving too deeply into the loan (and emergency loan) market... I honestly think that thinks are starting to look up as the players develop and the management team looks to be as good as any we've had in quite some time, against all odds considering the budgets involved and the general circumstances around the club.

As well as the youngsters being well grounded, and having their feet on the ground, its good to see some of us fans are equally grounded and don't expect to run before we walk.
Well said Pon mon.

If we can get a few Body’s in January and keep hold of the young lads. We should be fine. My big worry now is if Cook. Gets a job. Might just raid us for more than just a Richardson
Think Cook would defo have Naismith - maybe do us a favour at the same time and get Massey off the payroll....!

Think Cook would defo have Naismith - maybe do us a favour at the same time and get Massey off the payroll....!

If he wanted Massey, I'd drive him to Sheffield myself.
He would have to be socially distanced in the back of the car with a mask on and the window open though.

Don't forget Chris Merrie in all this, the lad has taken to the role as defensive mid like a duck to water. His hard tackling and energetic running has given us a platform to work from and despite his inexperience he has given our midfield some bite. Hopefully we can get an experienced player alongside him in January to create some composure and make use of the balls he wins.

According to Nixon, Kyle Joseph turned down Sheffield Utd in the summer.
So hopefully he's getting good advice and sees his immediate future at Latics.

According to Nixon, Kyle Joseph turned down Sheffield Utd in the summer.
So hopefully he's getting good advice and sees his immediate future at Latics.
Let's hope so. A proper fee for him could be there for us in the future. Let's hope Cook doesn't do a Martinez when he eventually gets a post and takes away what's left of our future big pay days. He says he loves us. Let's see how much.