Yorkshire cricket Bob Willis trophy 2020 | Vital Football

Yorkshire cricket Bob Willis trophy 2020

I noticed watching the game against West Indies that it's now 'Emerald Headingley' - has it been that long do we know?

I noticed watching the game against West Indies that it's now 'Emerald Headingley' - has it been that long do we know?
Fairly recent for Headingley. Emerald (a publishing company) started the their sponsorship in Nov 2017 for cricket and rugby at Headingley, but have raised their profile for cricket following the completion of the new stands, corporate boxes, etc. in the cricket ground part of the Headingley complex. Test match grounds are now treated like the Premier League football grounds regarding sponsors names. For example, the Oval has been like that for many years, with several different sponsors taking up the contract, originally Fosters lager (I think). Of course, the fans ignore the sponsors name, but radio and tv commentators may be obliged to have to say it.

Last edited:
I stood at Headingley on many a Boxing Day watching rugby league in the1960s. Leeds always played Wakefield Trinity.

Fairly recent for Headingley. Emerald (a publishing company) started the their sponsorship in Nov 2017 for cricket and rugby at Headingley, but have raised their profile for cricket following the completion of the new stands, corporate boxes, etc. in the cricket ground part of the Headingley complex. Test match grounds are now treated like the Premier League football grounds regarding sponsors names. For example, the Oval has been like that for many years, with several different sponsors taking up the contract, originally Fosters lager (I think). Of course, the fans ignore the sponsors name, but radio and tv commentators may be obliged to have to say it.

Right, thanks Mike. I think I'm supposed to always type the AESSEAL New York Stadium but, well it's such a mouthful isn't it!

My sister is a member of Yorkshire CC and they've been given free access to games with not being able to go - but could only get it on the main computer for some reason which isn't in the comfiest of places.

Season starts today, appropriately on Yorkshire Day (01/08). May be a live stream video broadcast from Durham? (Will check later) . Also the White Rose Yorkshire Cricket Forum is usually very informative re team news, tactics, comments on progress of match, etc. Usually some eye-witness accounts too, but no spectators there today.
The "Fred Boycott" Twitter site often has some amusing daftness.

Live BBC internet commentary from Durham v Yorks game provided by Radio Newcastle. Durham won toss and are batting first. Yorks first class debuts today for Malan and young spinner Shutt.

Update - Couldn't get live video stream on, but good Day One for Yorks.
Close of play
Durham 103 all out (Coad 4 for 23)
Yorks 84-4 (Kohler-Cadmore 41)

Last edited:
Found free non-subscription live match stream:
live.nvplay.com
Durham v Yorks
Match centre icon

Day 2
Update 1 -Just gone off due to rain. Yorks 100-4

Update 2 - Yorks 199 all out

Update 3 - Durham managed to show some stubborn resistance in their second innings making 266 all out with Lees (the ex-Yorkshire batsman) scoring 106, Bedingham 77, and Fisher was the best Yorks bowler with 4 for 52. After a shaky start, Yorks advanced to 103-3 (Malan 50 n. o.) at the close of play for Day 3. Yorks are well over half way to their target and need 68 more runs to win on the final day, weather permitting

Update 4 - Day 4 start delayed due to rain, as forecast, but may clear up in the afternoon.

Last edited:
Match result -Yorkshire beat Durham by by 6 wkts.

Knocked off the required runs quickly once play commenced. Probably worried about the threat of more rain! Yorks finished with 174-4.
(Malan 73 , Brooks 66 n.o.)

Great start to the season. Notts away next.

Last edited:
Jonny Bairstow available for next game (v Notts), Gary Ballance still not fit though.

Coad and Fisher both picked up injuries against Durham and are not in the squad either, so bowling line-up will be rather depleted. Maybe the prediction about the long lay-off leading to more injuries is proving correct? Bad luck to be losing both of them though, as they had bowled well against Durham.

Last edited:
Yes, when I watched the Arsenal/Chelsea Cup Final I couldn't believe the number of injuries but then realised that might have been due to the lay off too.

Notts v Yorks
Day One. (08/08/20)

A rather injury hit Yorkshire team has the England U-19 fast bowler Leech making his first-class Yorkshire debut (I think). Also only second first-class appearance for young spinner, Shutt . Olivier back in the Yorks team . Not going well for us though : Yorks 67-4 at lunch - Lyth, Bairstow, Malan, Kohler-Cadmore already out!:(
Official Notts live stream from Trent Bridge (you need to log in first)

Update 1 - Yorks 264 all out. A decent comeback by Yorks and all-rounder Thompson made his highest Yorks first class score , 98. He has spent a long time in the shadow of Bresnan, etc, and with Brez's departure and injury to Waite , is now getting a chance to play. A shame that he couldn't get to a ton. Some useful support from young Brook (62) and Tattersall (31) too.

Update 2 - Notts 13 for 1 . Close of play

Last edited:
Yes, although Trent Bridge is usually a good batting wicket, and we decided to bat first. Let's hope that the rather inexperienced Yorkshire bowling attack does well today... and there are no more injuries!

Update - Close of play Day 2

Notts 355 all out. Although the Yorkshire bowlers were doing ok for a while, inexperience/tiredness showed later in the day , and they allowed the game to slip away as the Notts batsmen cashed in. Almost impossible for Yorkshire to win from here, unless we get a massive second innings score, which after our first innings performances from the "big names" , looks unlikely.

Last edited:
Notts v Yorks Day 3

After the early loss of Kohler Cadmore for a duck, Lyth and Bairstow gradually built the Yorkshire 2nd innings to the score of 82-1 at Lunch. Notts bowler Ball has gone off injured. Live internet match coverage from Trent Bridge (You need to log in first though)

Update (Close of Day 3) Yorks 259-7.
Good innings from Bairstow (75) and Lyth (50). Another failure from Malan though. Probably not enough runs on the board and we will need help from the rain tomorrow to avoid defeat!

Last edited:
Day 4 ... in the end Yorkshire won by a comfortable margin - 90 runs- and with plenty of time to spare!

Didn't look likely this morning as Yorks rather carelessly lost wickets, although Tattersall did manage to get 53, in a total of 278.

Looked like the target would be fairly easy to achieve for Notts judging from their first innings , but it was a great second innings bowling performance by Yorkshire as Notts were skittled for 97. Olivier ripped through the early order, and unlike the first innings, the tail-enders were quickly removed, Thompson getting 3 wickets for 6 runs

A bit of a "see-saw" game but we have won two out of two now, and in this game with a patched up team due to injury. Bairstow should still be available for the next Yorks fixture, not sure which bowlers will be back, but all-rounder Thompson must surely keep his place after good contributions with bat and ball