Yet Again. | Vital Football

Yet Again.

Spursex

Alert Team
The real sadness here is that it shocks almost no one but the victims and it's immediate friends, family and locals anymore ...

It seems incredulous to us how Americans accept this situation and cannot seemingly do anything to end it - WTF is wrong with you Americans ?!

Florida shooting: What we know about attack at Parkland high school
USA Today NetworkEditors, USA TODAY Published 8:29 a.m. ET Feb. 15, 2018

A former student went on a shooting rampage at a Florida high school, leaving 17 dead while panicked students barricaded themselves inside classrooms and frantic parents raced to the scene.

One of the deadliest high school shootings in modern American history occurred about 2 p.m. ET on Wednesday at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., about 30 miles northwest of Fort Lauderdale.

Here's what we know:
How many were killed and injured?

At least 17 people were killed, 12 of them inside the school. Three more were killed just outside the school and another two died of their injuries after being taken to the hospital, Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel said.

The victims included both students and adults.

A total of 17 people, including the suspected gunman and the two victims who died later, were taken to local hospitals. At least three of them are in critical condition and three are stable. The suspect was treated and released into police custody, doctors said.

"It's a horrific situation. It's just a horrible day for us," said Broward Superintendent Robert Runcie. "...This is a day we prayed would never happen in our county."

'I'm sick to my stomach':17 dead in Florida high school shooting; former student in custody

At least 17 dead in school shooting in Parkland, Fla.

Dr. Louis Yogel, chief of staff, right, address the media during a press briefing outside of Broward Health Medical Center. Dr. Benny Menendez, chief of emergency medicine, left, listens. Dorothy Edwards/Naples Daily News
Who is the gunman?

Authorities identified the gunman as Nikolas Cruz, 19. Cruz, a former student at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, had been expelled from the school for fighting and did not graduate, authorities said.
This photo provided by the Broward County (Fla.) Sheriff's

This photo provided by the Broward County (Fla.) Sheriff's Office on shows Parkland, Florida high school shooting suspect Nikolas Jacob Cruz, in a jail booking photo. (Photo: BROWARD COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE HANDOUT, EPA-EFE)

Cruz had a history of menacing social media posts and was booked into Broward County Jail Thursday morning on charges of premeditated murder in the killing of 17 students and faculty at a Florida high school.

He is being held without bond.

More: Florida school shooting suspect booked on charges of premeditated murder

More: Suspect in fatal Florida school attack is former student with 'anger' issues

At least one teacher said he had been flagged as a potential threat and that he was a big enough concern that administrators had banned Cruz from campus.

Jim Gard, a math teacher at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, said Cruz had been aggressive towards students in the past.

A former classmate, Jillian Davis, said Cruz had a hot temper and a history of making dark, gun-related jokes.

“Finding out it was him makes a lot of sense now,” Davis said.

Cruz's first name also appears as Nicolas in some official records.

Florida school shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz was brought to the Broward County jail and charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder Thursday morning. (Feb. 15) AP
What happened:

Broward County Public Schools reported the shooting began near dismissal time, when staff and students said they heard the sounds of gunfire.

Some students said a fire alarm sounded before the gunfire. Police say Cruz began the rampage outside before opening fire inside the high school.

Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Fla., told MSNBC that Cruz wore a gas mask and tossed smoke grenades to draw students out into the hallways.

The school was placed on lockdown. Television footage showed students running from the school with their arms in the air, tossing backpacks into a pile. Some students were being treated on the sidewalks and loaded into ambulances.

Cruz was at large before being taken into custody off the school's campus roughly two hours after the shooting.

Police said he was armed with an AR-15-style, semiautomatic rifle and "countless" magazines.

There's nothing really to say any more. It is what it is. Those in charge of the country have had more than enough opportunity and incentive to enact change and have decided not to, so here we are.

Maybe one day, when enough people have died, we'll see change. Until then, 'thoughts and prayers', etc.

ahx00 - 15/2/2018 15:07

There's nothing really to say any more. It is what it is. Those in charge of the country have had more than enough opportunity and incentive to enact change and have decided not to, so here we are.

Maybe one day, when enough people have died, we'll see change. Until then, 'thoughts and prayers', etc.

If I hear one more f**kwit repeat that 'guns don't kill people, people do' - I'll go nuts.

Sadly, the dumb mfkers seem to breed faster and buy more guns than the smarter people and the smarter people are hamstrung by an article of faith that has no place in a modern society.

I heard it was the 18 th school gun attack this year. On average the US has one per week.

The nutter had been investigated by the authorities previously for internet images of guns etc. He was banned from the campus. At the very least they need military protection and Intel on school sites with strict security and surveillance.

Fence the schools in with limited and manned entry and exit points. One way in and out. Alarm the fences for breaches. They are not doing enough, it's too easy.

It's like lemmings to the slaughter house. I would not send my kids to school with those threats and actual attacks going on....one per week...whos next.

It's like knife crime over here. It's out of control. There is an initiative to have bleed kits in public places to help treat stab victims. Padding and straps to stem the flow until medical teams arrive. WTF is going on ?

I'm genuinely not sure whether your plan to fortify schools is serious or not, that's how bad this situation has got.

Democrats saying 'enough is enough' but have absolutely no concrete proposals that their party will get fully behind ..

..and the Republicans are supporting arming teachers and having armed marshals in every school....and refusing to discuss the second amendment.

If the Republicans win with their approach, it might well work...until a teacher loses his/her rag and starts shooting the kids because they had a row with their partner that morning and were in a bad mood - or they don't vet the marshals properly and one of them decides he wants to do it instead...

The second amendment is a perversion of a half truth from another century - WTF is wrong with Americans?

Oh, both sides agree those with mental issues shouldn't get be able to get legal guns - as if that will stop them where in almost every state you can get guns illegally quite easily.

More than 100 gun reform bills tabled in the US over the last 20 years

Not one has pass d and made it into law.

80deg16minW - 16/2/2018 10:54

More than 100 gun reform bills tabled in the US over the last 20 years

Not one has pass d and made it into law.

There is so much about America to like/love but there is also so much that makes you think how backwards parts of it/it's people are - if ever there was an argument for not allowing guns to be owned in the UK more widely, you only have to sight the US as the contra argument.

I've been there several times now, both coasts. I always come away thinking that it's nice, as long as you stick to the bits you're intended to see. Drift even a couple of streets away and it devolves into a ******* dump.

I never understand people who claim to want to visit or live there.

ahx00 - 16/2/2018 11:57

I've been there several times now, both coasts. I always come away thinking that it's nice, as long as you stick to the bits you're intended to see. Drift even a couple of streets away and it devolves into a ******* dump.

I never understand people who claim to want to visit or live there.

TBF that’s true of most countries. Read the write ups on places like Tucson. That’s why people want to live there.

When countries care more about money then peoples lives then nothing will get done.

Look at the vegas shooting, quickly brushed under the carpet and not really heard about again.

You have to look at this in the light of how many guns there are in the USA. We’re talking about 300 million I think. Getting all those off them is not an option. An amnesty wouldn’t do anything, who is going to give up their guns first, certainly not the crooks?. It does need a security officer in every school, one that IS prepared to act in an emergency. The guy who didn’t is a joke. My grandkids said to me “Would you go and tackle him with a handgun when he had an automatic?” I said, “That was his job, to determine how to quickly defend the defenceless kids and get the gunman, he should be trained in that and take him on”. I have kids and grandkids in Denver by the way, not far from Columbine.

I do believe the government of the US could do a careful sift of all those obtaining guns and make things more stringent. Also to up the anti on crime and take out all the automatics. They DO NOT need automatics, you can’t justify them. A bit of this and a bit of that, like keeping guns and ammo locked up separately as we do in this country under proper licence using spot checks to ensure procedures are followed will slow down gun activity. Gently stop the use of them, definitely slam the borders shut and stop unknowns coming in who may be crooked. Prevent drugs more and those who use guns in that area.

There’s may not be a straight answer to guns but chipping away subtly at the problem is also an answer and although we want to see immediate dramatic action, small effective but consistent measures can contribute an awful lot. Increase security and methods of protection in emergencies will help. My grandchildren have a lockdown procedure in their school, the teacher locks them in a classroom area and they all keep down until the all clear, etc. They have drills and are taught protective measures. These aren’t nice but they are some sort of plan which will save lives.

All, as you guys have probably figured out I am in the military and I honestly have no clue why the hell folks outside the military even have the option of buying military grade weapons like AR's. I mean come the hell on!! The folks that say they use them for hunting...umm you are stupid go buy a hunting rifle.

The issue now is we are WAY too far down a slippery slope and nobody has the balls to stand up and fix it...simply as that. They are worried about how many votes they will get, etc...

BL - it will not stop, there are too many fucked up people out there and it is easy to get an AR...until we are ready to make the hard choice...sadly I don't see that happening.

Figured I owed you guys a response...

USAFSPURS - 27/2/2018 17:09

All, as you guys have probably figured out I am in the military and I honestly have no clue why the hell folks outside the military even have the option of buying military grade weapons like AR's. I mean come the hell on!! The folks that say they use them for hunting...umm you are stupid go buy a hunting rifle.

The issue now is we are WAY too far down a slippery slope and nobody has the balls to stand up and fix it...simply as that. They are worried about how many votes they will get, etc...

BL - it will not stop, there are too many fucked up people out there and it is easy to get an AR...until we are ready to make the hard choice...sadly I don't see that happening.

And it's greatly appreciated - was speaking to an veteran a couple of weeks ago and pretty much said exactly the same as you..

well done,

:14: :1: :1:

Spursex - 27/2/2018 17:11

And it's greatly appreciated - was speaking to an veteran a couple of weeks ago and pretty much said exactly the same as you..

well done,

Good talking to you again EX, been too long! Hope all is well.

USAFSPURS - 27/2/2018 17:27

Spursex - 27/2/2018 17:11

well done,

Good talking to you again EX, been too long! Hope all is well.

same with you, great to see you back on here - make sure you stay! :-)

very late to this thread - it's great to see such agreement, even from a US military member.

I do a lot of work with Americans, have seen a former client online calling everyone asking for more gun control "sheep" and telling people from other countries they don't know what they're talking about...

I thought Jim Jefferies' (Australian comedian) take on gun control was superb. Not for those who dislike hearing swearing, but really well done:
https://vimeo.com/219338338

My heart goes out to the latest victims and their families.

Maybe Trump is right and they have to start arming Teachers/janitors/support workers....

what a waste.

One girl interviewed said they were just waiting for it to happen at this school. They knew it was coming. This must be the fear in all US schools. It's too easy. They need to get serious on security. As a parent it must be worrying to the extent of refusing to send your kid to school until security is in place.

One girl interviewed said they were just waiting for it to happen at this school. They knew it was coming. This must be the fear in all US schools. It's too easy. They need to get serious on security. As a parent it must be worrying to the extent of refusing to send your kid to school until security is in place.

Afraid I'd have my kids down the gun range and sending them into School with a Glock in their satchel., unless the school scanned all bags at entry and had armed security around on every entry point during the day - how else could you have any peace of mind?