Yesterday | Vital Football

Yesterday

HarrowGill

Vital Youth Team
Yesterday was totally unexpected- we were well under the cosh, and I thought it was only going to be matter of time before we conceded as Mendez-Laing's shot longer back from the crossbar. And then List scored, which can only mute concerns about his ability (although you can't doubt his work-rate).

The attendance, however, was massively disappointing. I know that Cardiff might not be seen as 'proper Premiership' opposition, but I was still expecting 9-10,500 easily, even allowing for a 500-1,000 to be put off by the rather usurious price-hike for yesterday's game.

Yesterday's game meant that attention will now be refocused on Tom Eaves (who performed well again), and the vultures are going to start to circle again as we head towards the January transfer window.

And we now have to work out how to deal with the novelty of balancing a relegation dogfight with a cup run- especially now our cross-country away-trek to Sund'land is now probably going to be rescheduled to a Tuesday night! :eek!:

How many fans can fit into the Gillingham end? There were a couple of blocks in the Gordon Road Stand near the away end that seemed to have been kept empty, but other than that and a bit empty near the Rainham end, the ground seemed well filled.

How many fans can fit into the Gillingham end? There were a couple of blocks in the Gordon Road Stand near the away end that seemed to have been kept empty, but other than that and a bit empty near the Rainham end, the ground seemed well filled.
What are you saying???? Surely not.

Cardiff only had about 600 in the whole of the away end. Add the difference to the attendance and you are creeping towards the capacity.

By my reckoning Cardiff fans took about a third of their available capacity. Gills fans took about 85% of theirs.

7,000 attended - capacity over 10,000?

Surely you can get more that 1800 in the away end?
Yes. Maximum capacity is 3,400. But some areas are usually fenced off for security. I think Cardiff were offered 2k tickets but only sold 650. So my sums were based on approximately a third of 2k not 3,400.

By my reckoning Cardiff fans took about a third of their available capacity. Gills fans took about 85% of theirs.
The problem for us as far as the ticket prices from the Cardiff view is the maximum they pay for any away game in the Premier league is £30.Anfield or Old Trafford for £30.Or Gills playing the Cardiff first team squad for £25 .Looking at it from their view you can understand why those who pick their games would not choose to come yesterday.

Priestfield's capacity is officially 11,582 (record all-seated attendance 11,418 against West Ham in 2003), but according to planning permission documents for the BMS we're currently allowed no more than 10,900 in the ground because of traffic/parking issues around the ground.

GRS holds 2600, RE 2400, BMS 3400 and the Medway Stand 3000ish.

Cardiff only had about 600 in the whole of the away end. Add the difference to the attendance and you are creeping towards the capacity.

Had they sold out the away end, then there would still have only been under 9,000 tickets sold (assuming all seats 2,300 seats in the BMS were sold to Cardiff fans).

Priestfield's capacity is officially 11,582 (record all-seated attendance 11,418 against West Ham in 2003), but according to planning permission documents for the BMS we're currently allowed no more than 10,900 in the ground because of traffic/parking issues around the ground.

GRS holds 2600, RE 2400, BMS 3400 and the Medway

In fairness to the club, I don't think these planning regulations are enforceable given that you could reasonably argue there are issues with parking and traffic during any normal weekday (thanks to the Aldi supermarket on Nelson Road and the lack of width on Balmoral Road).

In any case, I recall that the council were more concerned with drainage and subsidence underneath the BMS but this could only be mitigated by actually closing-off the structure on a matchday, which clearly hasnt been done/enforced. Yet yhis is why the club were forced to expand on the new stadium blueprint and come up with 'contingency' measures to build a permanent structure in lieu of the 14+ year old 'temporary' BMS stand.

The capacity of the ground for any match is set by the licensing authority. For practical purposes the decisions are taken by a group that includes the Police, the Council and the Club but the Council and the Police have the ultimate say.