Yes or No | Page 2 | Vital Football

Yes or No

Sack or Not

• Total voters

He's rejected Premier league clubs in the past. Can't see him wanting to manage a club in the worse situation of his managerial career at 60 years old. Better opportunites for him out there if he wants them.

......... Do that, and I am done and will seriously go and demand a refund on my season ticket.......

Oh dear. I know you know how football works, so why do you think that would be a good course of action? What do you think will happen?

It beggars belief.

Should've gone day after season ended last term.

From what I heard over the summer with other clubs trying to recruit Jokanovic or Karanka they are asking for top prem money that even West Brom couldnt or wouldnt spend. I'd be delighted with them but think they are non starters. So in order of preference from realistic possibilities:

1. Hughton
2. Monk
3. Rowett
4. Poyett
5. Garcia
6. Pulis
7. Moyes
8. Gary Bower (in work)

Other out of work managers who could be considered Carlos Carvalh, Martin O'Neil, Mark Hughes, Nigel Adkins, Sol Campbell, Alan Pardew, maybe even Qique Flores.

There could be some really good foreign coaches but my preference would be heavily weighted by championship experience.

Don't want Coleman, McClaren, Parkinson, Nathan Jones along with the obvious ones.

I don't think there has ever been such rich pickings available normally we are scraping the barrell!

Of course we are all looking in from the outside, but the post match interview Paul Cook gave seems pretty damning, given the tone and way he spoke of the players. Hugill scoring really rubbed salt into the wound and from all accounts (I didn't go today) we were as bad at the back as we've ever been. Don't want to see anyone get fired from their job, but it isn't just defeats; performances where the manager won't defend the players shows something has really gone wrong. Barnsley would be pivotal to him staying or going. I'm hopeful he can turn it around, we have brought in a lot of players, but if the performance today is anything to go by, he may not be able to.

Should Paul Cook go, then I think we need someone in who knows the league, can play in similar way but get more from the players and can reignite the fans. I think Garry Monk would be a great choice for that reason. Sol Campbell did an amazing job under very difficult circumstances with Macclesfield Town, but I do get the sense he's got a massive chip on his shoulder over not being hired as a manger for so long and given the baggage we've had in the past with managers, I don't know if I could entrust the club to him.

Or, go mad, rehire Paul Jewell, with Hutchings as his assistant, with Peter Reid and Graham Barrow coming back....

As bad as things are I'd give Cook a chance to turn things round. Give him until early December then if a change is made the new man has time to assess things before the January window.
If Darren Royle is thinking of getting rid now then wait until after Barnsley because I don't fancy seeing Daddy or Peter Reid in the dugout next week.

Enough is enough. I don’t say that because of what’s gone on this season, which in itself is bad enough, but because it’s a continuation of what went on for a good chunk of last season. I just don’t believe he is good enough tactically for this level of football.

It’s sad because I find him a personable bloke but there is no hiding from the results and performances away from home. There’s no improvement, they are worsening. Regardless of my views I’ve heard his post game interview which reminds me of roslers after that bowton debacle, which is tantamount to waving the white flag. If he doesn’t recognise his team then I’m guessing there are serious problems behind the scenes which he’s incapable of sorting given the performances

Thanks for memories Cook, but it’s time to go.

It's very sad I think, because Paul Cook obviously loves this club,his passion is there for all to see. But unfortunately he's struggling to find the formation to make us competitive away from home. Why don't we bring someone in to help him,I don't want any of these foreign managers in, who we can't identify with. I don't wan't the likes of Pullis in, who is a Stoke get as far as I can rememember.

It's very sad I think, because Paul Cook obviously loves this club,his passion is there for all to see. But unfortunately he's struggling to find the formation to make us competitive away from home. Why don't we bring someone in to help him,I don't want any of these foreign managers in, who we can't identify with. I don't wan't the likes of Pullis in, who is a Stoke get as far as I can rememember.
i don’t think he would take help

Why don't we just get someone who knows how to get teams to defend and teams to attack while not being biased in team selections as well as keep a healthy dressing room. Basically an actual manager.

He has to go for me. A few of us just been chatting about it. Its starting to feel like it did going to games when Joyce was in charge. You know what to expect, we’ll be negative and anything better than a defeat is a positive. For me that’s not good enough,fans should be looking forward to a game and should see their team trying to play decent football and win the game.

We've still only played 1 decent half of football all season ?
When we played "trying to win attacking football" we put 3 goals past a recent prem team and entertained - can't you hear small denomination coins hitting the floor Cook ?
?

If Paul Cook does end up going, it will give us all an insight as to how ambitious IEC are in terms of who they can attract. If we can persuade someone like a Karanka or Hughton to come here then it would send a very good message to the fans that good things are taking place behind the scenes and IEC aren’t messing about when a manager of their calibre are willing to join us despite our shit crowds and position in the table.

Realistically though I think we’ll end up with a Championship steady eddy like Rowett or Monk.

Or we could go foreign, no one might have a clue who the manager is but at least they’d bring a bit of mystery and excitement.

He has to go for me. A few of us just been chatting about it. Its starting to feel like it did going to games when Joyce was in charge. You know what to expect, we’ll be negative and anything better than a defeat is a positive. For me that’s not good enough,fans should be looking forward to a game and should see their team trying to play decent football and win the game.
When did we last play decent football? A big question really. It seemed decent when we did the two promotions from league one up to the championship and for a while when Rosler pushed us towards the play offs. Again we played decent football the odd time under Bob but really the last time we played decent football consistently was under Paul Jewell when we did the double promotion. Why can we not just follow his model of how to play football. FFS we finished runners up in this league playing that way.

I don't think he will be sacked this week.

A home defeat on Saturday depending on the circumstances of the game could see him given his cards BUT we have no idea how tolerant these new owners/ board are.

Oh dear. I know you know how football works, so why do you think that would be a good course of action? What do you think will happen?

It beggars belief.

No, I'm done with us pissing about. If Cook goes, think bigger. Someone with experience. I am turning work down at the moment to go and watch Latics...and its getting increasingly harder to justify doing so. Thats why I said what I said.

All anyone needs to do if they have any doubts about cook, go onto the BBC sport website and look at our statistics last season and this, we very rarely dominate possession in fact it is usually quite high in favour of the opposition, shots both off and on target are mostly less, and that is including when we win.

If you look at opta stats our completed pass ratio is the lowest in the league this season, when Fulham played midweek they completed more passes that night than we have in every game this season, our midfielders players run less yardage with the ball than any team in the EFL other than Bury and Bolton.

ps that last bit was a joke, but we are lowest in the championship.

Slaviša Jokanović should have been brought in last year.
Let's just try and get him and see some decent football at least.

I think that if someone like Garry Monk or Gary Rowatt is willing to join us, which is a fairly realistic situation, then we should let Cook go. This is simply because, I believe that those two have more nous at this level than Cook does, and they indisputably have more experience than him. They are proven in this league, a description which, sadly, cannot be attributed to Cook at this moment in time, and may never be. The nexus between Monk and Rowatt is that they both took over the same club i.e. Birmingham City, when they were in a fairly similar position to us with regards to their league position and quality of performance, and managed to turn the side's fortunes around.

In the 2014-15 season, when Rowatt joined the club, Birmingham had picked up just 11 points out of a possible 42, and sat 23rd in the table, having just been thrashed 8-0 by Bournemouth. Yet in the period between 1st November 2014 and 2nd May 2015, Rowatt managed to improve their form to the extent that they achieved a top-half finish (10th).

Garry Monk did a fantastic job with Birmingham in 2018-19, having taken over following the departure of Steve Cotterill at the end of the 2017-18 season. If you ignore the 9-point deduction due to FFP, his side would've finished on 61 points, an improvement of 15 points from 2017-18. In the space of just one year, Monk had taken the Blues from potential relegation candidates to a comfortable mid-table finish, without spending a significant amount of money on his squad.

Could the aforementioned managers do it here? I think they could. Neither of those Birmingham City sides are drastically better, on paper, than what we have at our disposal, following a highly successful summer transfer window, and a generous display of ambition from IEC during that time. At the very least I believe that they would bring a degree of stability and steadiness to a side that, under Cook, looks increasingly like relegation material with every game that passes.

Despite the fact that there's a small, almost visceral feeling I guess, which tells me that we should stick with Cook, and that against all the odds he'll come good as the season transpires and reveal all of the worries expressed tonight as unfounded, deep down I know that this idealistic vision is highly unlikely to materialise, and that all logical reason would indicate that, should a suitable replacement become available, we should show him the door.

Last edited: