Yes or No | Vital Football

Yes or No

Do you support the long term strategy of our latest regime.?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Canary Kevin

Vital Squad Member
Messrs Webber, Smith and Stone have a clear picture of what they want to achieve. There are some on board, some doubters and some anti. Who amongst us is willing to stand up and be counted.

I voted no , and I will tell you why .Webber and Farke are employees of the Board and Owners and no matter what plan they would love to put in place to get us into the Prem ( and I would love it if they had one ) they can only do what their employers tell them to do . I only believe what I see and hear and not blind faith . The only words I have heard from Smith in recent times is her infamous Times interview where she spoke of her dislike of the Premier League and stated clearly that the fans would not like it , but she was not going to seek investment but would hand over the club to Nepotism Tom . Those statements to the Times show me there is no drive , fight , hunger and sheer determination to get us to where surely every Norwich fan would love us to be .. the Premier League . The recent heartbreaking sales of Josh and Madders show me that promotion is a very ,very low priority ,as those are the types of players we need to take us up . The Board and Owners have shown me that their model for the club is to remain solvent without any outside investment by selling their very best players at the end of each season . Last season we lost Howson and Jacob , this season , Josh and Madders , and I (assume) next season Jamal and any other player who does well and has a value will be sold. That is NOT a plan for the future and it certainly is NOT a plan to take us up . No, it is more likely to take us down .

It is NOT a hatred or sniping of Smith and Wyn Jones ....it is that I simply really believe they don’t have the fight or finance to take us up.

I understand your reasoning YB but really hope you are wrong about the model for the future. Unfortunately, it is a very thin line between success and failure. Things may have been different if our big money team investments had bothered to try for us. I think the board have been bitten, now shy.

Hi Kevin, here’s where I’m at.
I’ll start off by saying that Delia and Michael saved the club from a financial nightmare back in the day and I’m grateful for that. They’ve presided over good times and bad times and they’ve made good decisions and bad decisions.
As owners, they decide who to employ to run things. They are not “football people” as such, so have to rely on others to make the football decisions but they are ultimately responsible. The best decision they made during their tenure, so far, was the appointment of David McNally as Chief Exec. He made some great decisions and also some poor ones, but that’s football. This is not an exact science after all.
In terms of the here and now, I don’t think Delia and Michael are best placed to take us, as a club, forwards. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll always be grateful for what they’ve done for the club, however, lots of money is required to be successful in the modern age so I think a change of ownership would be best.
As far as the decisions regarding football, I’m fully behind Webber and Farke. The Sporting Director model has been hugely successful in other football markets and it makes perfect sense to me. It’s a different way of doing things to the traditional English manager model and I think it can work.
The idea of producing young players from our own academy is a sound one but one that will not come to fruition overnight. Having said that, we arguably have Lewis, Matthews, Cantwell and Godfrey ready for next season’s Championship now.
Those four players could have a huge impact on our squad and three of them have barely played for us yet, so they could be a big and positive surprise to a lot of our fans.
The board will decide how much money there is to spend on further additions this summer and I’m not expecting that to be too much, relatively speaking. So the question is, do I trust Stuart Webber to spend it wisely and my answer would be “Yes.”
He and Steve Stone are hugely impressive chaps to speak and listen to and they impressed me when I met them at a fan forum last summer. Daniel Farke, it should be remembered, doesn’t decide what players are bought but he liaises closely with Webber about the type of players he needs for his squad. No doubt he has offered certain names up, such as Trybull, Stiepermann and Leitner and those three didn’t turn out too badly.
In terms of Farke himself, his job is to coach and last season it didn’t quite click. The play was very often too slow to build up but the fact that we had such a large number of shots at goal in the end of season stats tables makes me think that some of the issues were down to individuals.
Things do need to improve this coming season and scoring goals is the main “topic” as Farke might say, and it’s his job to sort it out.
So, after all that, I am still supportive of the Stone, Webber and Farke triumvirate.
They all know though that a promotion tilt is required this season or the natives will really be getting restless.

Excellent points of view on this thread . Just to clarify my position ....I am still supportive of Webber and Farke at the moment . My complaint is that their dreams , plans and ambitions are being stifled by those above them

Thankyou Tuckster for a fair and considered reply. Hopefully if we do have individual players who do let the side down then the natives (as you say) could continue to support this new formula for at least five seasons even if it means that the sporting director has to change the head coach. I do believe that this kind of continuity will see us good and any upheaval will be far easier than it was when changing a manager..

There’s no doubt, YB, that if Webber was given more money that he could supply Farke with a better squad and that is at the root of all this. If the board had the extra money though, perhaps we wouldn’t even be trying the Sporting Director/Head Coach approach.
It’s not just as simple as money though, as Aston Villa have shown, but it sure helps.
I can see what Farke is trying to do, the way he’s trying to play, it’s what Man City and currently, England are doing but he couldn’t quite get the squad to do it last season. I’m not going to dismiss him out of hand though because building something takes time.
We are where we are and I’m sticking with it, although the idea of handing the club to nephew Tom, who is probably not a lot richer than some of our colleagues on VN, is a different discussion altogether...

To be fair Delia and BOD saved us once....also have to say under her tenure we went down to league 1 and almost went into administration probably more than once. And, lets not forget the pain of last season and this pre-season where we have been forced to sell to survive...all under their tenure.
Despite millions from Premier league we still have a too small a ground capacity and a behind the times academy & training setup, leading to fans again funding the new academy build despte paying the highest ticket pricing. Add to that, 20 odd years in charge have amounted to 4 or 5 years in the prem, 1 in lg1 and the rest in the champ.
When taking a step back and viewing details above it's clear that both on and off the pitch, we haven't really moved on or indeed moved anywhere.
I get the "run it as a family business" i really do, in isolation thats noble but in and amongst other aggresive competition and "the world's a marketplace" i fear we are just falling behind.
So to answer the yes or no question, finally!. i would like others in charge, people with business acumen, people who make long term decisions, yet are able to back them up.....and not the parochial owners we have currently. It feels like time to change.
If they had money, great....let's enjoy the ride, if no money.....at least we should avoid the boom & bust mentality, the "getting carried away and spend because we are in the premier league" mentality, the There would be no guarantee of success, i'm prepared for that as long as their is honesty & transparency.

As for Webber, time will tell but i'm supportive because he has the reigns. A little unsure as he has never had this much control in a club before (as confirmed by an employee of my nearest local team HT).
Farke, untried when brought in and a really tough watch in his first season. Struggled at times and ended with a -11 goal difference...and he is a defensive minded coach, just concerns me a little!
It's a brave new world, lets all hope it works, pre-season is huge. If we start well it will remove much pressure, start badly fans will turn quickly.
However fingers crossed, i really do hope it works.

Cut me and I bleed green and yellow, I support our club no matter what, that does not have to take into account the board and heirachy however, its all about on the pitch and what the players achieve and great management/coaching...As for the premiership, I will tell you this and it goes for a great many supporters, the championship is a far greater buzz than the Premiership for us..Why?

As one of the smaller clubs to be in the Premiership what are we likely to achieve? Win it? Champions League? or somehow battle to survive?

The Championship gives us greater opportunities to actually go and win the league either outright or via the playoffs, the buzz we all get is awesome, you dont get that in the Premiership, If your just a supporter who wants to see the big name teams here along with the household name players that go with them then regardless of how we perform against superior opposition then you will be happy with that...As for me I want to see us hungry and fight with passion and Win Win Win, Last season was dross I have to admit nothing to do with the Smiths I must add...Grass roots all wrong our much hailed Webber and Farke in my book really were not up to the job, heres hoping they get their act together for the coming season...2017/18 was a total let down and has demoralised thousands of our supporters...Me Especially. ( I stayed in the pub on 3 seperate occasions not even bothering to walk to the ground along with several of my pals)
So My support is as always there for the club and its entities...Now wheres that Billionaire we are looking for?

Good answer FFL. I think Webber is definitely up to the job but he and us have to be patient. Farke should do better this season or has to go. He did need that first season to bed in. As for staying in the pub, I am not sure I agree but it is your entitlement. You have internated that you know a billionaire is never going to buy our club and they would only be in it for themselves and not us anyway.

I voted no although the question over simplifies the current situation.
I agree with YB in that the success of the new system is reliant upon investment from the top.
I am not clear what is the long term strategy actually is.
If last season as a whole and the window of summer 2018 is a clear indication of the strategy then it could be summed up as selling all the best players and relying upon untried cheaper players and youth.
Some of the untried players may become good and some of the youth players may develop into first team regulars after loans.
Who knows if that will produce a squad this season able to finish
higher than 14 th .

It is not really a strategy but something being forced upon the club by relegation and failure to return to premier league whilst there were parachute payments.
My largest concern is that any player bought for low fee and youth player who makes the grade will be sold and there is unlikely to be
a squad with continuity and a group of players with unity.

Once in a while a manager comes along who can take average players and turn them into a unified successful team. That is what will be required and based on the 30 or so games I have watched live under DF, I have not seen too much evidence of that.

That post was made at 1.00 am this morning after I returned from Nottingham and England's brilliant batting performance but has only just been added.
I wrote it after watching a team with passion and a crowd invigorated by what they saw in front of their very eyes.
I suggest you all take a look at the photo at the top of Tucksters main site article and consider if those people have the burning passion, energy and long term commitment to make something happen along the lines of yesterday when I was entertained for entire game.
Something that I cannot say happened in any of the 30 games I watched last season.

There’s no doubt that another season like last will not wash with the fans. If Farke doesn’t dramatically improve things on the pitch next season then the Sporting Director will have a big decision to make. Just hope he’s got the balls to take it...

If Webber finds he is constantly swimming against the tide then the decision he will make will be to remove himself from the club . Whatever must he be thinking coming from a club hungry for success to Norwich City ?

To be fair Delia and BOD saved us once....also have to say under her tenure we went down to league 1 and almost went into administration probably more than once. And, lets not forget the pain of last season and this pre-season where we have been forced to sell to survive...all under their tenure.
Despite millions from Premier league we still have a too small a ground capacity and a behind the times academy & training setup, leadin pool plg to fans again funding the new academy build despte paying the highest ticket pricing. Add to that, 20 odd years in charge have amounted to 4 or 5 years in the prem, 1 in lg1 and the rest in the champ.
When taking a step back and viewing details above it's clear that both on and off the pitch, we haven't really moved on or indeed moved anywhere.
I get the "run it as a family business" i really do, in isolation thats noble but in and amongst other aggresive competition and "the world's a marketplace" i fear we are just falling behind.
So to answer the yes or no question, finally!. i would like others in charge, people with business acumen, people who make long term decisions, yet are able to back them up.....and not the parochial owners we have currently. It feels like time to change.
If they had money, great....let's enjoy the ride, if no money.....at least we should avoid the boom & bust mentality, the "getting carried away and spend because we are in the premier league" mentality, the There would be no guarantee of success, i'm prepared for that as long as their is honesty & transparency.

As for Webber, time will tell but i'm supportive because he has the reigns. A little unsure as he has never had this much control in a club before (as confirmed by an employee of my nearest local team HT).
Farke, untried when brought in and a really tough watch in his first season. Struggled at times and ended with a -11 goal difference...and he is a defensive minded coach, just concerns me a little!
It's a brave new world, lets all hope it works, pre-season is huge. If we start well it will remove much pressure, start badly fans will turn quickly.
However fingers crossed, i really do hope it works.
That post was made at 1.00 am this morning after I returned from Nottingham and England's brilliant batting performance but has only just been added.
I wrote it after watching a team with passion and a crowd invigorated by what they saw in front of their very eyes.
I suggest you all take a look at the photo at the top of Tucksters main site article and consider if those people have the burning passion, energy and long term commitment to make something happen along the lines of yesterday when I was entertained for entire game.
Something that I cannot say happened in any of the 30 games I watched last season.

Not sure we should make our judgement by the way someone looks but the salient negative points are very relevant.

Good answer FFL. I think Webber is definitely up to the job but he and us have to be patient. Farke should do better this season or has to go. He did need that first season to bed in. As for staying in the pub, I am not sure I agree but it is your entitlement. You have internated that you know a billionaire is never going to buy our club and they would only be in it for themselves and not us anyway.

You dont have to agree at all thats my prerogative being a fan for 55 years!

It is not about appearance. It is about getting past your sell by date.
A younger person is required to plan for the future. A younger person with more energy and wanting to move in line with modern football.
Is the Cabin Boy that person ? We do not know. However if I was in his position I would be taken an active role in public and be putting some real effort into moving the club forward as oppose to falling asleep at his first game as a director.
Maybe he is being shackled !