Yeovil v Villa, Haribo Cup, Tues 14th Aug @ 7.45pm | Page 20 | Vital Football

Yeovil v Villa, Haribo Cup, Tues 14th Aug @ 7.45pm

I think there is a player in Axel. He needs games in a fixed position, probably C/B. I think he would be ok with Chester alongside. I have no idea if SB will trust him enough to give him a run of games though?

I think there is a player in Axel. He needs games in a fixed position, probably C/B. I think he would be ok with Chester alongside. I have no idea if SB will trust him enough to give him a run of games though?

Well of the 11 that started the game he was head & shoulders the best last night.

He deserves to keep his place Saturday alongside chessy.

Getting a bit sick of this now... time to dispell some myths.

Last season we won games 4-0, 3-0, 4-1, 3-0, 4-2. 3-2, 3-1, 5-0, 4-0, 3-0 and 4-2.

Yes there were some scrappy 1-0's, 2-1's and shock horror we even drew and lost some games.

Now lets look at Wolves, arguably the most flair team in the division.

They won games, 4-0, 3-1, 3-0, 3-0, 3-0, 3-0, 5-1, 4-1, 3-2, 4-0, 3-2

So in terms of big comprehensive wins they had 11. Same as us! The rest of their wins were nicked by the odd goal here or there, same as us.

People need to get their heads round the idea that it's impossible to play Man City champagne football week in week out on a Cider budget.

We'll play great in some games, we'll play shit in some games, and we'll knuckle down and dig out a win in some games... it's called football.
:wagging::wagging::wagging: Now now Deano- don’t you come on here being one of them “happy clappers” having a “love-in” with Bruce. We shall accept nothing but negative and miserable responses to three wins out of three... :grinning::grinning:

And in case you're wondering we have NEVER won our first 5 games.

Steve Bruce and this squad are literally Ipswich and Brentford away from re-writing the history books!

Dear me we have beat Hull, Wigan and Yeovil.

And played crap in all of them, i can`t get excited until i see a team with a method and show consistent desire.

Come on guys - we are Villa FFS, and we are in a league below where we should be.

Win 5,6 even 7 games on the bounce - we have done this last season, the result i expect is promotion not runs here and there.

I love winning, it makes my week / life a happier place.

But this team has a long long way to go before i can trust them long term to be succesful.

To be honest, I’d be happy ‘scraping’ 2-0 wins, playing badly and getting promoted.
Always a believer that if you play badly and win then that’s the sign of a decent team.

Champagne football would be nice but we haven’t got the players to do it.

And in case you're wondering we have NEVER won our first 5 games.

Steve Bruce and this squad are literally Ipswich and Brentford away from re-writing the history books!

SB has already lead us to our highest points total in a single season, so unlike many managers in our recent history he is at least breaking the right kind of records.

Brentford's a dodgy one for us I feel, have we beat them since relegation? Add to that the fact I am travelling nearly 400miles to attend so I will apologise now for me being the reason we don't beat them

To be honest, I’d be happy ‘scraping’ 2-0 wins, playing badly and getting promoted.
Always a believer that if you play badly and win then that’s the sign of a decent team.

Champagne football would be nice but we haven’t got the players to do it.

You can't play badly every week and win though. In this league we can get away with it more often as we've some quality players and most of the sides in this division are crap. Play like we did last night, Saturday and for a fair part of the Hull game against a half decent team and we'll get beat. Even against shit teams things can go against you.

If you play well consistently and win whilst on an off day it's great. When you consistently play crap and only occasionally turn it on then you're going to run into trouble.

I've just seen the goal Brentford scored against Stoke. I remember Leeds scoring one like it against Southampton in the 70s. Bloody impressive!

Unfortunately synopsis we have not beaten Brentford since relegation. We've had 2 completely undeserved draws with them at villa Park and been battered by them twice at their place. But I keep being told that Dean Smith isn't any good though so presumably his luck against us will have run dry by now.

You thought Kodjia was poor? I thought him and Grealish were both a step up when they came on, and the skill for the goal was wonderful.

Edit Deano, for some reason I thought your post has adomah in it

Didn’t adomah start the game!? Usual anonymous self, I don’t understand the raving about him on his current form, needs to be dropped or take a rocket up his arse

Last edited:
Went for a meal with the family last night , food was great beer was fabulous but the company sucked all they wanted to do was talk talk talk !
God's only knows what sort of drugs they were on as they all could see the Villa was on tv Hitting

Weak teams? Problem with the last two seasons was that too often we lost or scrapped a draw against weak teams. The problem goes back even further; under Lambert we were one of the best non-top-4 teams playing top-4 teams; we struggled against the riff-raff.

Three successive wins against weak teams is an improvement. I can imagine Joe Mercer up there in the clouds with a smile on his face.