Yeovil v Villa, Haribo Cup, Tues 14th Aug @ 7.45pm | Page 19 | Vital Football

Yeovil v Villa, Haribo Cup, Tues 14th Aug @ 7.45pm

OK sirdennis, then its fear in the players.
They got the ball to 35 yards from goal, then started passing it backwards and sideways across the pitch. Thats normally done by midfielders, looking for openings created by the forwards making little runs, except our lot, who even with a forward making little runs in and around the penalty area, either don't see or, ignore him. They, it would seem prefer to get the ball out wide to be sent into the area in the air, great tactic when that gives the defenders the advantage because we don't have a forward who is dominating in the air. If our midfield had of played balls through on the ground from more central area's, causing the central defenders to turn and run at their own goal, two things they, central defenders hate doing, we would have won enough games to have been in the premiership automatically.
Any game I saw last season sirdennis was along the same lines as the Wigan game, we'd play fast attacking football, get a goal then sit back and try and defend a one goal lead for 89 minutes. Trouble with that being our defence was nowhere near good enough to do that in most games.

So we did that every game and scored 70 odd goals exclusively from that way of playing ?

OK then.

How much did you watch Wolves? Were you a regular at their games?

Think it's a bit of a misconception that they played attractive football every single week. Sometimes they ground out results. Sometimes they played shit (as they did against us)

We tend to believe what we want to believe. if it suits you to think we play dull, turgid, slow football all the time and other teams play attacking, fast paced football all the time then go ahead and continue to believe it.

Neither are true though.

Thats true Deano but, 30 times out of 46 is a good ratio, while we played good football 6 or 7 times out of 46.
Taking the claret and blue tinted glasses off, which I have never worn, what would you rather watch, a Villa side who went for it, like we did against Wolves, or the dull boring shit that was served up the rest of the season?

So we did that every game and scored 70 odd goals exclusively from that way of playing ?

OK then.

It wasn't enough was it sirdennis.
The whole season was summed up by the different football philosophies of Jokanovic and Bruce in the play off final.

Thought the keeper was ok, to be honest, so did Bruce. Playing behind the keystone kops of Elphick and Axle T plus Taylor must make anyone nervous, and Delaet was pretty crap too .

Oh so it's down to money? So we should be chuffed to bits that we weren't far away given Bruce has made a net profit on transfers since he's been here?

Thats true Deano but, 30 times out of 46 is a good ratio, while we played good football 6 or 7 times out of 46.
Taking the claret and blue tinted glasses off, which I have never worn, what would you rather watch, a Villa side who went for it, like we did against Wolves, or the dull boring shit that was served up the rest of the season?

6 or 7 times out of 46 ?

Absolute bull.

Sorry.

yep. I've just listed 11 comprehensive wins above. Plus I'm sure we played well in some of the more narrower wins too.

Actually gator I didn't.
It was your previous post, the one I was answering, that mentioned cup games.
No you quoted last nights game as a typical Bruce performance and whilst I agree we do have a few too many abject performances for my liking but my point is Ron Saunders took the cup seriously and always played his best 11. However these days the cups are considered an hindrance resulting in second teams being played so for me comparing Ron's attitude to a cup performance to Bruce's is not really a fair comparison.

Time for some context . 3 games in 3 wins .
Any away game opening day to come away with a win is solid
Wigan were a bit of an unknown quantity and high on adrenaline , again we rallied and beat them
Banana skin cup game against minnows , even the Yaniteds of this world have lost games such as this. We won, no it wasn't pretty so what.
The team spirit is superb, fitness looks better - late goals etc.
We do need a striker though

Well for me we wanted to see the kids we got to see 3 of em we needed to see the keeper in a competitive game we saw him. If nothing else it will sharpen up some of those on the edge of the squad. Axel and Elphick got a run out at CB which answered my questions regarding both really Axel may get there with game time experience Elphick is simply not good enough and we need another CB pronto.Keep in mind folks Bruce may see them in training every day but he needs to see what they can do in a competitive match as much as we do.