Yeovil Town (h): What 3 Things Did We Learn? | Vital Football

Yeovil Town (h): What 3 Things Did We Learn?

1. Form is everything. Lincoln stuttered into the top 7 with poor performances v Port vale and Yeovil

2. The CB pairing hasn’t been settled since Dickie and Raggs left. Each week it’s a different partnership, worrying as we go into a crucial 2 games

3. Failure to add another striker in January could cost us. Goals are drying up and Matt greens confidence is as fragile as newsagents carrier bag

1. We are not set up well to cope with teams that keep the ball on the ground, and take on our defenders, one on one.

2. We look slower and have become predictably one dimensional, but can be saved by an individual piece of brilliance.

3. Rarely does anyone in the team have a threatening shot on target that forces a decent save from their keeper.

1. Form is everything. Lincoln stuttered into the top 7 with poor performances v Port vale and Yeovil

Cannot agree with that, Tris. City won almost 2 points per game from a very difficult final 12 games (22 points), as posted elsewhere. Of those 12, only Yeovil had nothing to play for. We had to play 7 promotion-chasing teams during the run-in - Accrington, Wycombe, Exeter, Mansfield, Carlisle, Colchester and Coventry - and only lost one of them (1-0 to the champions-elect). 22 points from 12 games is automatic promotion form.

Yeovil wasn't a great performance but they got the job done. The final day of a season is always tough, and strange things happen. Of the top eight teams, only two of them won on Saturday (Wycombe and Exeter, both 1-0, and Colchester missed a penalty at Exeter). Of the top fifteen, only four won.

Three things I learned against Yeovil

( to counter some of the negative points that have been raised)

1. We are in the Play offs

2. We are in the flipping play offs

3. We only went and made the flipping play offs in our first season back.

Glass is full

1. The majority of our players had put their boots on the wrong feet. The number of simple passes, balls forward and clearances spooned out of play was phenomenal.

2. Ryan Allsop really, REALLY doesn't want to wear a cap, even when the Sun is in his eyes, and despite a bloke plus a few others yelling at him for several minutes solid offering him one!

3. This team does not give up, despite the heat, despite the injuries, despite the players playing out of position. They dig in, run hard, put their bodies on the line and find a way to get the job done.

1 Never write off seeming no-hopers. I'll be honest and admit that I thought we'd fill our boots yesterday; not quite Luton's 8-2, but you get the picture. Yeovil hadn't read the script and had it not been for one moment of sheer brilliance from Tom Pett, they may well have beaten us, which brings me nicely onto point 2.

2. Many , including myself, were preparing to write off another Tom as being the only other totally naff signing made by Danny, since he strode into our lives. As far as I'm concerned, if he can make one such skilful and telling contribution in every match like he did yesterday, then he can disappear for the rest of the game with my blessing.

3. We are very adept at finding a way to get a result, irrespective of how poorly we are playing as a unit. Yesterday, we were tentative and shapeless in the first half and in some ways, it was almost poetic that we blew our lines with the penalty.

We plugged away and huffed and puffed second half , without really creating a clear opening and when Danny replaced Ollie with Tom, I couldn't understand it. The rest is history. I know nothing!

1) We are running on empty at the moment; combination of long season, a few injuries and a small squad. That we got over the line is absolute testament to the character of the employees of Lincoln City FC.
2) We have a serious full back problem if Sam (let alone Eardley) is not fit. We cannot expect Wharton to play the role of left back. He is an excellent young central defender and asking him to play in the left back role is not sustainable. To his credit he tried very hard to carry the ball forward and even put in a cross or two. Sadly pretty much everything he tried went wrong and that absolutely was not his fault. If the full backs are not fit we must go to a three at the back and find a creative solution for the Exeter game.
3) Following on from 2) 4-3-3 has been sussed and is not dynamic enough for the home leg against Exeter with the rider that it may be suitable for the return game if we have something to hold onto going there. We need to be bold and get some width into the side especially with the fullback issues. Green is doing his best but he is not a wide right player and it is affecting his confidence. We need him back in the middle feeding off Rheady with Ollie to come on from the bench and work his magic.