Wycombe - Saturday 22nd September | Vital Football

Wycombe - Saturday 22nd September

pompeyrug

Alert Team
Complacency? No Thanks, Pompey Can’t Afford It

Complacency can be a dangerous thing, as can arrogance.

There’s certainly a fine line between confidence and arrogance, we’ll hope we’ll not overstep that mark against Wycombe this afternoon. It can also be easy to slip into a complacent mode – I’d be amazed if Kenny Jackett allowed Pompey to do this though.

Yes, I think we’ve every reason to feel confident. Why wouldn’t you when you’re top of League One and one of only seven unbeaten clubs in the top four divisions, the only one who hasn’t lost in the third tier?

But, looking at the immediate task facing us, we know Wycombe well enough – without being disrespectful – to know what to expect at Fratton Park in about 90-minutes or so.

Wycombe will, I would think, if not expect, come with their usual gameplan. They’ll most likely aim to contain and frustrate Pompey, no doubt waste time too! Patience could be the name of the game for the Blues but should we take the chances, I’m almost certain we’ll create; I’d back us to find the back of the net.

It’s been a fine start to the season for Pompey Craig MacGillivray, another clean sheet from him and it’ll give us a stronger case for collecting another three points to maintain our place at place at the top of the tree.

As said, complacency and arrogance could be dangerous; we’ll hopefully not show any of this at Fratton between 3pm and 5pm. If things go well, maybe we could afford a little of this as the evening unfolds...

Well.. Rug, I'm not sure there was any complacency in this game. The weather certainly didn't help, and Wycombe certainly came with a game-plan. Same old same old from them.

What I'm really starting to like about this side is its ability to fight back after going a goal down. That is such a good quality to see in a side, and one that will stand us in good stead as the season progresses.

Like everyone else I thought we'd grabbed the points with Pitman's late goal, but heh.. I'm a Pompey fan and should know better. A shove from Burgess in the penalty area ensured that wasn't gonna happen. C'est la vie..

Ok, we've slipped back behind Peterborough, but still 9 games unbeaten which apparently equals our start under Harry in 2002/3. Oh my God.. that was 15 years ago.. One things for sure, if this team can find and maintain the sort of form we showed back then.. we are definitely going places.. PUP.. PPU.. :clap::thumbup:

Well.. Rug, I'm not sure there was any complacency in this game. The weather certainly didn't help, and Wycombe certainly came with a game-plan. Same old same old from them.

What I'm really starting to like about this side is its ability to fight back after going a goal down. That is such a good quality to see in a side, and one that will stand us in good stead as the season progresses.

Like everyone else I thought we'd grabbed the points with Pitman's late goal, but heh.. I'm a Pompey fan and should know better. A shove from Burgess in the penalty area ensured that wasn't gonna happen. C'est la vie..

Ok, we've slipped back behind Peterborough, but still 9 games unbeaten which apparently equals our start under Harry in 2002/3. Oh my God.. that was 15 years ago.. One things for sure, if this team can find and maintain the sort of form we showed back then.. we are definitely going places.. PUP.. PPU.. :clap::thumbup:

Struggled again to find time of late, so this is late.

However, it's hard to disagree with your thoughts once again corny. I'd certainly agree that no complacency was shown, it was just one of those days where it wasn't to be.