WW3? | Page 117 | Vital Football

WW3?

And his ex and kids - but still ruins my joke I think. I'm still amazed Ukraine have held out the way they have - as unpalatable as it might be, we have to be into compromise here as most of the areas Russia has 'won' have been decimated anyway from what I can tell.

Ukraine come out as winners and strong, Putin takes his token 'special operation' victory - the move away from gas has to continue and whilst the door shouldn't be closed to Russia (or China et al) but it has to be more mutually beneficial than the previous attempt where we bolstered their economy, becoming reliant in the process and western private companies just gained profit.
The whole thing has totally backfired on Russia. It's the only good thing that has come out of this awful process

Ukraine come out as winners and strong, Putin takes his token 'special operation' victory - the move away from gas has to continue and whilst the door shouldn't be closed to Russia (or China et al) but it has to be more mutually beneficial than the previous attempt where we bolstered their economy, becoming reliant in the process and western private companies just gained profit.

From all the economic stuff I read it is supposedly "the end of globalization". You've got your companies pulling out of China and Russia, a strong US dollar that weakens exports and the value of overseas operations. All these supply chain issues are showing you need to keep at least some manufacturing processes at home. There is a global chip shortage and a very real threat that if China invades Taiwan you lose a huge chip foundry. We seem to be criminally reliant on a handful of "bread baskets" for basic food needs. Some of these areas are either in conflict zones like Ukraine or are under threat from climate change.

The good news is that some areas are creating too much clean energy, some places are slowing down wind turbines because they were adding too much to the grid and there wasn't enough battery capacity left. When they figure out wave technology areas like the north sea, bay of biscay and irish west coast will have huge potential. I also want to say every year we're getting closer and closer to nuclear fusion.

Electric cars are probably still a good 10 years from dominating but we still have to try electrify the air and seas. Although in theory ships could run on fusion if we figure that out.

There is a little bit to unpack here but bear with me.

I've heard that Zelenskyy went to Davos to talk to all of the big wigs there and got a hero's welcome, as he does everywhere. He talked about a Marshall Plan for Ukraine (massive infrastructure investment from outside to rebuild the country after the war) which was well received. The Russians are causing something like $3bn of property damage per day. We are over 100 days into the war so that's $300bn in a country with a GDP of around $150bn per year. Incidentally, their GDP per capita was similar to Somalia before the war started.

So Zelenskyy suggests that the assets seized from the oligarchs are used to fund this Marshall Plan and suddenly the room goes cold. The big wigs are not cool with rich people's assets being confiscated and used for poor people's benefit.

From all the economic stuff I read it is supposedly "the end of globalization". You've got your companies pulling out of China and Russia, a strong US dollar that weakens exports and the value of overseas operations. All these supply chain issues are showing you need to keep at least some manufacturing processes at home. There is a global chip shortage and a very real threat that if China invades Taiwan you lose a huge chip foundry. We seem to be criminally reliant on a handful of "bread baskets" for basic food needs. Some of these areas are either in conflict zones like Ukraine or are under threat from climate change.

I feel like we’ve economised goods and services as far as they can go, in order to be as efficient as possible to remain competitive in the market whilst providing profits and capital growth. I can’t talk here by the way as my last role I did for 3 years was effectively about how to make the good we sell more profitable.

We’ve concentrated certain goods and industries to certain places, because it is so efficient to do so. If a chip for a mobile phone costs the equivalent of $1 from Taiwan but £10 to make in the U.K. or US (made up numbers, I’ve no idea), it adds a lot on to the final cost. The equipment, workforce, government regulations, supply chain is probably all suited to Taiwan whereas starting that here would take a long time and even then is a huge risk.

A good example are the scooters my son rides. I’ve bought two now which cost £30-40 from Halfords, and both have broke through hitting slightly dodgy pavements. A kid yesterday I saw had a retro metal tricycle which looked like it was from the late 80’s but that thing would last forever. But the consumer (me in this case) wanted to spend as little as possible almost in the expectation things are made as affordable as possible with the equivalent associated quality.

It’s exactly the reason why I bought a 1960’s house versus a new build.

I feel like we’ve economised goods and services as far as they can go, in order to be as efficient as possible to remain competitive in the market whilst providing profits and capital growth. I can’t talk here by the way as my last role I did for 3 years was effectively about how to make the good we sell more profitable.

We’ve concentrated certain goods and industries to certain places, because it is so efficient to do so. If a chip for a mobile phone costs the equivalent of $1 from Taiwan but £10 to make in the U.K. or US (made up numbers, I’ve no idea), it adds a lot on to the final cost. The equipment, workforce, government regulations, supply chain is probably all suited to Taiwan whereas starting that here would take a long time and even then is a huge risk.

A good example are the scooters my son rides. I’ve bought two now which cost £30-40 from Halfords, and both have broke through hitting slightly dodgy pavements. A kid yesterday I saw had a retro metal tricycle which looked like it was from the late 80’s but that thing would last forever. But the consumer (me in this case) wanted to spend as little as possible almost in the expectation things are made as affordable as possible with the equivalent associated quality.

I'm pretty sure real wages have been falling for decades now, the goal of outsourcing manufacturing is to precisely to drive down costs and flog cheaper products to consumers. Wages can therefore be kept low and then we just worry about keeping inflation on target.

"Cheapening" is the feature of capitalism. Cheapen the workforce and cheapen the goods so that prices can be, well, cheap.

Yeah its such a difficult mindset to change, my grandmother would always say, "you get what you pay for". She would always get the best thing she could and its so true. The amount of cheap stuff I've bought even in the past 18 months since I moved to California which is just breaking down. Cheap non-stick pans that came with these useless plastic spatulas I didnt even want. The cheap t-shirts on ASOS which shrink after the first wash so I had to go buy better quality ones.

I got what looked like a good cheap shoe storage solution ended up having to just buy a shelving unit. I almost bought a shitty canvas and wire thing but just opted for the metal and wood thing and I am so glad I did. Should have just bought the shelves in the first place.

As a construction person, I will say when it comes to homes its really tricky. Homebuilding in Ireland and England is still probably some of the best in the world its just our weather is god awful. Water is the enemy of buildings and we get it as much or more than 90% of the rest of the world. Usually most problems in homes especially new builds is people don't know how to maintain and run the home. In America the building standards are absolutely shocking compared to anything built in England. They they launch them up, throw in the bare minium of insulation and go on about their business. And Irish/English tradesman is 10x better than their American counterparts. New builds in Ireland are definitely far better than my parents house that was built in the 80s. My grandparents old cottage had to be one of the coldest homes I've ever lived in. I guess its probably hard to compare your 60s home to Irish contemporaries.

Thought this was a good analysis of Russia's invasion which is seen in this video as nothing more than a Resource War.

Essentially saying Russia completely missed the forest from the tree's accelerating their own demise as the West moves to completely cut off from oil and gas imports.So they'll be forced to sell to sell to the likes of China and emerging economies but it won't be as profitable or as competitive because they don't have pipelines to those countries.

from The Times

One of President Putin’s closest allies has warned that Moscow could target western cities if Ukraine uses rocket systems supplied by the United States to carry out strikes on Russian territory

There have been a lot of 'warnings' like this but obviously nothing has happened. But then there were a lot of warnings about the Ukrainian war which eventually did happen.

They reckon we're soft, and they're probably right but it would prove they are absolutely mental if they started firing rockets at Helsinki or Warsaw.

The Ukrainians are saying they are almost out of ammo. It seems that Europe aren't that interested in funding a forever war. I'd expect the Americans to show up with lots of bombs and bullets, those guys love forever wars.

The Ukrainians are saying they are almost out of ammo. It seems that Europe aren't that interested in funding a forever war. I'd expect the Americans to show up with lots of bombs and bullets, those guys love forever wars.

i was thinking the other day it's becoming a forgotten war, it's affecting Petrol prices in Europe and we are all more concerned about that and of course, Boris bashing is much more important than people being killed . Like everything else what is a crisis one day a fortnight later its forgotten about and we have a new topic to worry about.
It's brilliant "marketing" the news, very selective by just a few people what the main topic is , even with 24/7 Twitter and social media the news channels still control our thoughts and views.
You only have to read the nonsense reported about AVFC to know the rest of the news is just as big a load of bollocks made up and unchecked but taken in by even more people.

Yes, as a few predicted on here if I remember it won’t be front and centre on the news for long. And I noticed the other day the lack of coverage.

Although those despicable Tory wankers after the Boris leadership win were cynically giving reason for him to stay was because there was a european war. Sorry, it’s a war IN europe and not a european war. Fcuk off you scum bags.

They reckon we're soft, and they're probably right but it would prove they are absolutely mental if they started firing rockets at Helsinki or Warsaw.
It would have happened back in the day over Cuba if American hadn't drawn a line in the sand. Russia will take whatever it thinks it can get away with.
I think it will have made a big mistake if it goes after Poland or Finland.
Internationally that cannot be allowed to happen. Only one way to stop a bully

It would have happened back in the day over Cuba if American hadn't drawn a line in the sand. Russia will take whatever it thinks it can get away with.
I think it will have made a big mistake if it goes after Poland or Finland.
Internationally that cannot be allowed to happen. Only one way to stop a bully

I think you are right. NATO will fight to defend Poland or Finland (if they join).

The question is, why are we okay(ish) with Ukraine being invaded but not Poland or Finland. Are they more European than Ukraine?

I think you are right. NATO will fight to defend Poland or Finland (if they join).

The question is, why are we okay(ish) with Ukraine being invaded but not Poland or Finland. Are they more European than Ukraine?
I'm pretty sure it's the fact that those of us of a certain age rightly or wrongly associate Ukraine with being a part of the old USSR and although you can't countenance it, it feels like Russia taking back what it feels is historicaly theirs