Wrexham | Vital Football

Wrexham

Alfalf2

Vital Reserves Team
Poor home form continues. Seem to have missed no end of chances yet again and the visitors took their one chance. Last time we scored was in the 6-0 win the FA Cup. Seems a long time ago. If we cant score we cant win. Mid table or below seems a realistic prediction. Gutted. I wonder if we can sign a striker on loan. Maybe Aguero?

Watched the live stream, it was a frustrating performance by Pools. Wrexham were poor and probably only had the one shot on goal in the match - they scored!
Pools played in the same manner as they have for the past 5 seasons, despite managerial changes and numerous changes in players, a slow build up and a lack of goal scoring conviction. Second half, for the first 15 minutes Pools were second to the ball and dropped off in midfield - which resulted in Wrexham's goal.
I haven't any idea how this can be changed, but there needs to be more aggression and intensity from the midfield and forwards or we shall soon be joining York, Darlington, etc in the National League North!

Thanks for that OP. Dave C seemed a bit fed up in the post match interview this evening. He mentioned people looking for someone to blame with regard to Luke Williams injury on Sat and saying don't blame the player, blame me. Then something about walking away. Bloomin ell I hope not. I guess we just have to hope DC has the nous to sort out whats going wrong in the home games and in the end things will get better. Fingers crossed eh?

I've watched the post match interview Alf2, and DC does come across as being dejected at the night's performance / result. The game should have been over at halftime if we'd taken out chances, instead some lax defending at the start of the second half gifted the game to Wrexham. For me there's a lack of self belief in the squad,but how you address that I've no idea.
The issue about Luke Williams I thought he explained well, it is a matter of Luke having confidence in his body not to let him down, and to be fair you can understand the lads trepidation if he feels a bit of a twinge.

I don't see DC walking away, and that wasn't the inference I got from what he said anyhow, unless he starts to get grief from Raj. As Raj said DC has a contract until the end of next season, so I don't see him wanting to pay that up because of a few negative keyboard warrior comments on message boards.

Anyway it's on to bottom club Yeovil at the weekend, and hopefully 3 points for Pools.

We do tend to play better away from home so maybe we can scrape 0-0 but we don't like scoring any time soon.

OP, you have most likely seen more Pools game this season than I have but from what I have seen there is something I have noticed. Whenever, we get a cross into the box, the opposition defenders always clear it. Not usually, not mostly, ALWAYS. From what you have seen, would you agree? It just seems no one is prepared to go in where the heads and elbows are.

I do agree Alf2, but this isn't unusual for Pools, I can't remember the last forward we had who'd go in wholeheartedly for a header.
Similarly, teams are content to concede corners and free kicks to Pools as they never come to anything, again this is an issue going back many seasons.
I find this really frustrating as we have had a high rate of turnover of managers and players, but the issue remains.

Thanks for the reply, OP. Maybe if we don't have anyone who can cause trouble in the opposition box we need a different style of play since it is no good bashing crosses into the box that always get cleared. This issue probably sheds some light on how we are better away from home because then we can hit teams on the break when their defence is not organized and in position we get more joy. At the Vic teams sit back confident we wont be scoring and then hit us on the break. Although we dominated the first half against Wrexham, how many saves did their keeper have to make? Was it one or two? I dunno, fingers crossed we get three points on Saturday though my confidence is draining away.

Just watched the highlights on You Tube. The Wrexham keeper had four saves to make in the entire game and only one of them could be classed as a good save. Lots of balls into the box but never a Pools player there first.

I don't think Pools play a traditional game of wide players getting crosses into the box from wide, it is more of playing the ball up to centre forward to hold and play in midfield coming forward (if that makes sense).
On Tuesday the early loss of Bloomfield resulted in Parkhouse playing the centre forward role, but his touch was poor and hold up play lacking - I won't comment on his heading ability!! This resulted in the approach play being developed, slowly, through the midfield and consequently giving Wrexham opportunity to pack their defence.

Once Wrexham went ahead, as has happened many times at the Vic in recent seasons, Wrexham were able to sit back and deny space in behind, thus nullifying our game plan. Pools haven't got that player on the bench, or in the squad, to allow a change of tactics to the more traditional crosses into the box from wide, or deep, positions. We have wide players, but no bustling centre forward!
Perhaps, using Johnson as an emergency centre forward, whilst sacrificing a midfield player would work?

Hoping that our game plan works better at Yeovil on Saturday.

An astute summing up, OP. So leaving injuries aside, the normal Pools tactic is to have a CF holding up the ball while the midfielders run in. It must be said it is not working cos our only home win was against Aldershot with the help of a Pen for our second goal. We scored one other goal at home in the game against Altrincham. So regardless of how we attack we are struggling to find the net. Yep, lets hope we can hit Yeovil on the break and sneak a win.

The tactics aren't dissimilar to those of top clubs like Liverpool and Manchester City, but obviously Pools don't have the quality.

I'd like to see Oates in the central striker role as his touch is reasonable, has pace and will compete. But I trust DC'S judgement, we've only played 7 matches so there is time for tactics to come to fruition. Hopefully, starting at Yeovil.

Thanks OP. Really nice to read thoughts on this. :) . I guess you have to tailor your tactics to suit the players you have at your disposal. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.